Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Go versus Agile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe their Peak Rate is 20p per KWH so pretty penal, they give you an extra hour Off Peak over Go at a very similar price but then claw it back the rest of the day. I think they're only offering this because they're losing Customers hand over fist to Octopus so for me sticking with Octopus is a Financial and Moral decision as without Octopus there's no way they would be doing this but everyone makes their own call on these things.

That's a good point to be fair, my current rate is 15.25 p kWh and Octopus is showing 16.01P, does it reduce once you get onto Go? It's chicken and egg isn't it signing up then waiting to get the smart meter!

That's a good point to be fair, my current rate is 15.25 p kWh and Octopus is showing 16.01P, does it reduce once you get onto Go? It's chicken and egg isn't it signing up then waiting to get the smart meter!
It's 15p kWh on Go and 5p during the off peak hours.

Unfortunately it is Chicken and Egg as you can't access Go or Agile until you have a smart meter installed.

Do look into their tracker tariff though as that aligns with the market rates and doesn't require a smart meter. You can start of that tariff until your smart meter is installed.

Also, ensure you use a referral code for £50 off and include that discount in any comparisons you're making between providers too.

It's 15p kWh on Go and 5p during the off peak hours.

Unfortunately it is Chicken and Egg as you can't access Go or Agile until you have a smart meter installed.

Do look into their tracker tariff though as that aligns with the market rates and doesn't require a smart meter. You can start of that tariff until your smart meter is installed.

Also, ensure you use a referral code for £50 off and include that discount in any comparisons you're making between providers too.

Ah OK, so I will pay 16P kWh until I'm able to access Go/Agile then it will drop to the 15P/5P rate?

Wow that's really good! I'd argue that EDF Dual Rate looks competitive considering how long you get the reduced rate for

I'll update the sheet later (v3 here we come!)

But here's an example, Google says the average use per house is between 8-10 kWh - obviously that is massively circumstantial, but it's a good basis for a comparison:

Screenshot 2020-11-04 at 16.50.59.png

Yeah I'm not sure it would work, me and my partner are both working from home permanently so any change in the wholesale rates could be quite significant I think
Interesting, I've actually found it beneficial as I'm working from home. Lower daytime rates means it costs less to run multiple computers and monitors, cook lunch in the afternoon etc.

Also, as I don't rely on the car for commuting, I can be more selective about when I charge it during the week inline with the cheapest rates.

There's no penalty to switch between Octopus tariffs and you can do that as often as you wish.

Interesting, I've actually found it beneficial as I'm working from home. Lower daytime rates means it costs less to run multiple computers and monitors, cook lunch in the afternoon etc.

Also, as I don't rely on the car for commuting, I can be more selective about when I charge it during the week inline with the cheapest rates.

There's no penalty to switch between Octopus tariffs and you can do that as often as you wish.

Interesting, I'll take a look once I'm live!

We've been with Octopus a little over a year and began on Go but switched to Agile a few months ago. My normal commute (when I'm in work at least) is typically accommodated in the normal Go 4 hour window, but after checking the comparison tool mentioned earlier we determined that we would have been better off on Agile even without consciously avoiding the evening surge. Now we try to avoid cooking if we can during the peak (though sometimes we do if we really can't be bothered waiting till 7pm) and just try to use washing machine / dishwasher etc. at appropriate times. My partner works from home permanently now and I am often at home due to shift work and find we are generally always better off on Agile aside from the occasional day here and there. We were initially worried about how much micromanagement would be needed but it is actually pretty straightforward to just avoid putting the main appliances on during the peak and now we don't even worry too much about using the electric oven if we really need to. The Octopus Watch app is good for iPhone/Apple watch users as it gives a handy complication to show you the current agile rate and will give a quick summary of what the upcoming rates are too.

Guys I have a question. Have been with BG for the last year and moving to Octopus. I have a smart meter but BG have only give me daily readings not hourly. Once I move to Octopus will I be able to get hourly readings ?. This is to help me decide if I should go with Go or Agile . Thanks

Guys I have a question. Have been with BG for the last year and moving to Octopus. I have a smart meter but BG have only give me daily readings not hourly. Once I move to Octopus will I be able to get hourly readings ?. This is to help me decide if I should go with Go or Agile . Thanks

Suspect that's a limitation on BG rather than anything else, if your current smart meter isn't up to spec (SMETS1 or 2) they'll get it swapped for you :)

You can switch back and forth quite easily between Go and Agile, so should be fine. I've posted a link to an 'advanced' version of the energy supply calc if you want to see roughly how much Go will cost you with you current usage if helpful?

Reactions: checker4242
Yes - this site will show you 30 minute readings based on your actual consumption and will show the difference in costs between Agile and Go:

Octopus Comparison

upload_2020-11-6_15-43-7.png

Yes - this site will show you 30 minute readings based on your actual consumption and will show the difference in costs between Agile and Go:

Octopus Comparison

View attachment 605851
We've been with Octopus for over a year and switched from Go to Agile about 6 Months ago and are finding it an easy win so long as you avoid the Peak Period at least most of the time. Everyone's needs are different and some folks can't be bothered with any micro management but if you can be bothered doing a little planning Agile is great.

We've been with Octopus for over a year and switched from Go to Agile about 6 Months ago and are finding it an easy win so long as you avoid the Peak Period at least most of the time. Everyone's needs are different and some folks can't be bothered with any micro management but if you can be bothered doing a little planning Agile is great.
Agreed, it's just about being conscious about the appliances that you run between the 4pm-7pm period. I have two young kids and an electric oven so do need to cook dinner for them during the peak times. We just avoid using the dishwasher, tumble dryer, washing machine etc. during those hours. Putting the oven on for 30 minutes or boiling the kettle isn't going to tip you over the edge.

The ev.energy app has proven to be a great tool that takes away the micro management of when to be charging the car.

Looking back on the recent months, there's maybe 1 or 2 days a month where I'd be better off on Go. Typically I'm saving around 15% each month on Agile. YMMV depending on personal circumstance, my experiences are based on 2 adults, 2 kids, one electric car and myself working from home each day. The house is occupied all day at the moment.

Might be worth having a word with BG if you are happy your meter is up to it. We have a SMETS2 meter and ours wasn’t reporting half hourly usage, just daily use. Spoke to BG via chat facility and they said it needed to be turned on at their end. Works fine now and even the energy meter has come back to life.

Our fixed tariff with BG ends in Dec so we will be joining the exodus to Octopus then.

Might be worth having a word with BG if you are happy your meter is up to it. We have a SMETS2 meter and ours wasn’t reporting half hourly usage, just daily use. Spoke to BG via chat facility and they said it needed to be turned on at their end. Works fine now and even the energy meter has come back to life.

Our fixed tariff with BG ends in Dec so we will be joining the exodus to Octopus then.
Yes mine ends DEC 31st as well. But I found out that you can swap within the last 49 days and BG cannot charge you the exit fee OFGEM regulation. Quote " Ofgem rules state that your energy provider is not allowed to charge you fees for switching if you are in the final 49 calendar days of a fixed-term contract.27 Apr 2020". Hence I have now swapped to Octopus

Yes mine ends DEC 31st as well. But I found out that you can swap within the last 49 days and BG cannot charge you the exit fee OFGEM regulation. Quote " Ofgem rules state that your energy provider is not allowed to charge you fees for switching if you are in the final 49 calendar days of a fixed-term contract.27 Apr 2020". Hence I have now swapped to Octopus

Good point - thanks for that. On reflection ours may be Jan not Dec, but your point is well made and appreciated.