Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Go versus Agile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are various posts on both these tariffs but I cant find this question answered.
I've very recently switched from ovo to octopus go (since buying a ev) & wonder would it be worth switching to the agile tariff overall.
I understand that the agile tariff is very fluid & dependent on a number factors (lockdown included), and the user value depends on the usage profile.
My question is aimed at people who have been using agile for at least 12 months.
Over the long term do you consider the agile tariff to be better value for a typical family of 3 (2 retired) with one tesla ev, compared to ocopus go.
Our average daily commute is typically 30 miles 3 or 4 days a week and a 350 mile long trip once a month.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

I’d say that Agile is unlikely to be better for you due to the short commute. It all depends on whether or not you can get all the charging you need done in that 4 hour window.

In my case, my regular journeys mean I need more than 28 kWh (sometimes double), so Agile was better for me (well it was when the rates were really low). We’ve had a rough few weeks on Agile mind.

FWIW I did some calculations and Agile would save me perhaps £50 a year tops, and I decided it wasn't a rabbit hole I wanted to go down.

[x1 Model 3, 4kW solar, x1 Powerwall, cooking & heating on oil]

There are various posts on both these tariffs but I cant find this question answered.
I've very recently switched from ovo to octopus go (since buying a ev) & wonder would it be worth switching to the agile tariff overall.
I understand that the agile tariff is very fluid & dependent on a number factors (lockdown included), and the user value depends on the usage profile.
My question is aimed at people who have been using agile for at least 12 months.
Over the long term do you consider the agile tariff to be better value for a typical family of 3 (2 retired) with one tesla ev, compared to ocopus go.
Our average daily commute is typically 30 miles 3 or 4 days a week and a 350 mile long trip once a month.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
It really depends if you can avoid usage in the Peak Period for Agile between 16:00 - 19:00 when the Rate typically is treble what it is most of the time, if you're comfortable eating a little later then it will work for you but if you are in the habit of eating at 18:00 then it won't. Being retired myself I enjoy playing around with Agile but overall Octopus is generally cheaper than almost anyone else so you may find that Agile and Go are not that different.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: Jeeves and opals
Your API key is available here: Octopus Energy

Thanks guys for your advice & especially to medved for bringing the comparison to my attention which has interesting results.
Since switching to octopus (26/10/20) theres only been one day when agile was dearer than go. Since my commutes (my wife finds that term v funny) to the golf club and sailing club only account for 30 miles a day topping up the battery during the go 4 hour period is easy catered for.
On a recent return from my daughters (320 mile round trip) arriving home with 13% I magaged to top up to 75% within the 4 hour band.
So, in conclusion, if those agile tariffs are typically average over a year (huge assumption) then I'd be approx 24% better off switching & thats without changing my pattern of consumption. If I move my peak consumption forward or later by 90 minutes my savings would be greater.
I think I'll track it a ittle while longer to see what the change in weather and lockdown does to the comparison.
Edit. Before someone asks how did i get 320 miles & still have 13% left, i did a small top up while in berkshire.

Octopus Comparison

If you enter your Octopus account number and api key into the site above, you'll be able to compare your actual consumption across the two tarrifs.

An average week could provide a decent sample to forecast which plan may be better for you over a longer period.
Probably the most useful post on here in ages. Thanks @Medved_77.

Fascinating to scroll through six months of history and see how often Agile has been lower than Go has been except during the peak period. It would be fantastic if you could see data aggregated for weeks and months too and get total savings/losses.

Reactions: Medved_77
Probably the most useful post on here in ages. Thanks @Medved_77.

Fascinating to scroll through six months of history and see how often Agile has been lower than Go has been except during the peak period. It would be fantastic if you could see data aggregated for weeks and months too and get total savings/losses.
Being Retired and with the time to do it I manually compared every day in October and every single day Agile was cheaper than Go but only by maybe 30-50p a day but you MUST be able to avoid the Peak Period or it will go the other way.

Being Retired and with the time to do it I manually compared every day in October and every single day Agile was cheaper than Go but only by maybe 30-50p a day but you MUST be able to avoid the Peak Period or it will go the other way.
Yes, you were so right about the importance of avoiding the peak period. Luckily, I can mostly do that.

My agile rate average is between 7-11p per kwh. The only thing I avoid doing is running washer/dryer/dishwasher between 4-7. All my cooking is electric.

Most nights are at, or close to GO rates. There is a big dip after the school run and before 4PM (goes down to around 9p) So its not like you need to get the washing done at night. Some nights it goes negative (usually when its windy. I got paid 44p recently.

Without the car, I use around ~12KWh/day. If I have to use ~2KWh to cook dinner in peak rates 70p doesent break the bank. Most days are ~£2 inc standing charge.

If you commute long distance every single day and the house is empty then GO is better, for everything else Agile.

Reactions: Yachtsman
I've been looking at Octopus Go aswell, did anyone seriously consider the British Gas/EON tariffs for electric drivers? Although it may be 1P more expensive in 'Off peak' the window of off-peak is substantially longer than Octopus..

Using the link provided by @Medved_77 I've just looked at our Agile consumption since July & didn't see a single day where it would have been cheaper to use Go. The nearest it got was one with an overall 4p difference in favour of Agile but most days it's been double digit.

Go would not suit us as for many nights the 5p slot wouldn't get used - happy if we have to occasionally pay more at night or the peak period hits 35p because overall we're better off.

Similarly to @Alan J I'm retired & plan usage to make sure car charging, washing, tumble drying & dishwasher are set during nights with the lowest rates - often below 5p but occasionally more. Cooking dinner is normally around 5pm during the peak period but appliances aren't on for long (...my wife did show a flicker of approval at the two recent negative rate nights but I got an entirely different reaction when I suggested plunge baking and ironing :eek:)

I've been looking at Octopus Go aswell, did anyone seriously consider the British Gas/EON tariffs for electric drivers? Although it may be 1P more expensive in 'Off peak' the window of off-peak is substantially longer than Octopus..

I put this together if it helps, going to check this afternoon if there are new rates now we are in November and update accordingly.

Tesla - Cost to home charge by provider v2

Last edited:
Wow that's really good! I'd argue that EDF Dual Rate looks competitive considering how long you get the reduced rate for

But the day rate is really expensive - I think you need an E7 meter for that one too.

I think I need to put in an average house electric usage in as an additional column to show how much it would cost per day + the charging to give a fairer view, it's tricky trying to get the right amount of data but not make it too complicated to use

I believe their Peak Rate is 20p per KWH so pretty penal, they give you an extra hour Off Peak over Go at a very similar price but then claw it back the rest of the day. I think they're only offering this because they're losing Customers hand over fist to Octopus so for me sticking with Octopus is a Financial and Moral decision as without Octopus there's no way they would be doing this but everyone makes their own call on these things.