Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM CCS adapter now available to order in North America, Retrofit for older cars coming in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But the bundle of wires does fake some signals for temp sensing and such. So it remains to be seen if Tesla follows a similar approach with their retrofit, or if they design something with more capabilities.
My bet is that they'll have another variant of the 1537264-00-B ECU module, at least for cars with the Gen3 ECU. The reason is that the cars with the Gen3 ECU also have charge ports that lack a heating element, whereas the Gen4 ECU (1537264-00-B and current variants) assume that the charge port has a heating element. The heating element is used to ensure that the charge port doesn't freeze in the locked position in freezing temperatures. Cars with the Gen3 ECU instead use a hack where the car doesn't lock the charge port (or unlocks it as soon as charging is complete; I'm not 100% sure of the details). Presumably, if you use the unofficial "bundle-of-wires" retrofit, the car's computer won't know to use the Gen3-style workaround, which could result in cars with frozen charge ports. If Tesla releases another ECU variant, then it'll be easy for them to apply the Gen3-style workaround in software for it.

There's also the fact that the temperature indications coming off the "bundle-of-wires" hack are inaccurate. They're calibrated to "cross over" at precisely the right point for safety, but if Tesla ever wants to do something else with that data, or if they decide to change the temperature at which the car stops charging, then having an accurate temperature reading will be important. Releasing a new ECU variant will enable them to do this.

Plus which, the "bundle-of-wires" workaround is a bit of an ugly hack.

None of this applies to newer cars with the Gen4 1537264-80-B ECU, which is the same as the 1537264-00-B ECU, but without the CCS capabilities. For them, I'd imagine that installing the 1537264-00-B ECU would be what they'll do; even the unofficial upgrade procedures say it's a direct swap, with no bundle-of-wires required. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla started offering upgrades for them first, and maybe before the end of the year, since they have parts available (assuming their supply-chain issues aren't too severe).

Be aware that if your car is not CCS enabled Tesla will not allow you to even order the CCS adapter from their store (it requires you to log in and then Tesla does a quick verification on your car). How did everyone else order their adapter??

Here are the two types of error I get:

1663813025576.png 1663813042342.png

Last edited:
Be aware that if your car is not CCS enabled Tesla will not allow you to even order the CCS adapter from their store (it requires you to log in and then Tesla does a quick verification on your car). How did everyone else order their adapter??

Here are the two types of error I get:

View attachment 855460 View attachment 855461

installing the DIY kit seems to work, as it lets me order it (I didn't because I already have one, but it lists my 2018 model 3 as compatible).

installing the DIY kit seems to work, as it lets me order it (I didn't because I already have one, but it lists my 2018 model 3 as compatible).

There is another CCS thread here where someone else said that as well (that they updated their Tesla to CCS compatibility themselves through the information floating around here, and their car showed up as being able to order the adapter from tesla.

Im guessing Tesla must be reading that same information that now appears under "additional information" screen of CCS = yes or no.

Reactions: crackers8199
I have a Ranger service visit scheduled for Friday for the Rear Harness Replacement (camera video issue). Also having Cabin Filters replaced. (I can't bend that way any more...).
This morning I got a "Replace 12V battery" notice. So I put in the message that I needed that done on Friday, perhaps. Got a reply saying that the task had been adeed, but haven't gotten the usual "approve invoice". OK, lie back, think of England and see what happens...

So just now I got a message from Tesla under Service in the app... "CCS Adapter Retrofit".
"Appointments for the CCS Combo 1 Adapter retrofit are currently unavailable. Check back in early 2023 for availability".
O O O Kayyy...

This is for The Blue Bunny, a Feb 2020 M3SR+. I've never had the CCS adapter out of the trunk, nor tried a Level II charger.
Don't see a thread about this anywhere, anyone have a similar experience?

I do SO love Tesla. There is always something going on.
DuMont's Constant at work:
Not 15 minutes after I posted this question in the wrong place, I guess (and I SWEAR I searched for an existing thread - oh well...),
I was watching Dylan Loomis's You Tube and found the answer. Too late to delete the post. But not too late to order one.
I surmise the adapter will work with TGSV (Nov 2022), but not with TBB (Feb 2020) until it gets some kind of modification. No worries,
TGSV is the long trip car, so the adapter will go in the box with the power adapters in the frunk, the spare tire in the back and the Beretta
in the armrest. You never need it until you need it, and then you likely REALLY need it.

DuMont's Constant at work:
Not 15 minutes after I posted this question in the wrong place, I guess (and I SWEAR I searched for an existing thread - oh well...),
I was watching Dylan Loomis's You Tube and found the answer. Too late to delete the post. But not too late to order one.
I surmise the adapter will work with TGSV (Nov 2022), but not with TBB (Feb 2020) until it gets some kind of modification. No worries,
TGSV is the long trip car, so the adapter will go in the box with the power adapters in the frunk, the spare tire in the back and the Beretta
in the armrest. You never need it until you need it, and then you likely REALLY need it.

iI wasnt the wrong place, I just know there will likely be a lot of discussion on this (in various subforums). I grabbed the 2-3 threads in the model 3 subforum and put them together, then stickied. But, you didnt post in the wrong place.

• Love
Reactions: drdumont
I'm sure this has been beaten to death but for those of you who are buying it, What are your use cases that justify it? Personally, I live in the northeast where we have pretty good supercharger coverage so I don't see myself finding this useful but I'm curious to hear where in NA there's a good CCS network without a good SC network

It’s an emergency adapter for me. There are a few free 50 kW CCS chargers in Florida and if I happen to be in area without SCs (I’d say this is pretty rare but there are some dead spots where the only DC charger is some random one at Dunkin Donuts) I’d use it.

Reactions: drdumont
I just saw this on slickdeals.net. It has been mentioned in that thread Tesla is opening up their chargers to other EVs as a result of gov incentives. Is this true?
This adapter has nothing to do with that. This allows Teslas to use Electrify America stations… but honestly I don’t know why you would unless there was nothing else around.

Separately, my old ID.4 free charging plan did not work with my Model Y with the CCS adapter. There is definitely some VIN or ID passing going on.

This adapter has nothing to do with that. This allows Teslas to use Electrify America stations… but honestly I don’t know why you would unless there was nothing else around.

Separately, my old ID.4 free charging plan did not work with my Model Y with the CCS adapter. There is definitely some VIN or ID passing going on.
Not directly. But once Superchargers are packed with Kias and VWs, we're gonna need those CCS adapters to go elsewhere.

Got mine ordered first thing this morning as soon as I saw they were available. I've been waiting on this for a while. It isn't something I'll use all the time, but it will have its benefits for sure. After a year and half, I'm still using a 120v outlet in my garage. 95% of the time this works fine, as I can get back to my max charge each morning on my daily commute. But every so often I'll do a bunch of extra running around or have to take a work trip which uses much more battery. The problem I have is that all of the superchargers local to me are 30 minutes away on the opposite side of the city, and the nearest in the other direction is an hour away. And then if I'm going on to a customer site in certain directions (especially heading southeast of me), there are no superchargers along the way, so I have to go out of the way and add an hour to my trip just to make the charge.

But there are some level 3 ChargePoint chargers local to me, including one right in my town. This adapater will allow me to go straight to the places I need and back without worrying about arriving with too low of a battery as I can swing by a local charger, and open up some alternate chargers along the way on longer trips when superchargers aren't en route. Of course I'll still use superchargers when available, but $250 isn't a huge amount of money to open up even more options and save me time. And since we're getting 240v chargers installed at my office before the end of the year, it continues to eliminate the need to install a level 2 charger in my garage (and the adapater is a cheaper option than that as well since my breaker is in the basement on the opposite side of the house).

Reactions: XPsionic
When does this, the sharing of SCs, begin? This could be a freaking nightmare.
Last I read they are going to be slowly rolling out retrofits to existing SC locations, once they finish negotiations with the Feds on what qualifies for the funding.

They will probably start at the least crowded ones first. I would be surprised if new construction didn’t start including them first.

I haven’t seen an actual date yet.

Reactions: phishphan