Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Official Tessie app talk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks James. I thought that might be the case. I've used the Tesla API in the past and it was always a total pain in the butt. The Tessie API is much easier to use, but I would have to go back to the annoying Tesla API for the solar data. If you ever think about tackling this and need any testers, I'm happy to help!

Reactions: zoomer0056
I have a Model 3 with LFP battery and like to keep it plugged in for preconditioning or scheduled charging, but don't want to keep it charged to 100% all the time. Instead, I let it get down below 30% before charging back to 100%. Having to plug in and stop the charge manually every time I got home and / or constantly adjust charge limit was annoying, so I made this iOS shortcut using Tessie to help out. Getting it to run automatically when I got home without me having to confirm anything was a little tricky due to Shortcuts limitations, but I was able to get it working using a focus mode. Here's the setup if anyone is curious:

Arriving Home Focus.PNG

Shortcut Automation.jpeg

Shortcut Automation Config.PNG

Configure Charging Shortcut.JPEG

When I get home, it opens the garage for me and then waits up to 4 minutes for me to plug in the charger, checking every 30 seconds. Once the charger is plugged in, it either stops the charging or doesn't depending on the battery level. It also shows me notifications to tell me what it did.

Last edited:
Noob that I am, I started looking around for "THE" Tesla app to integrate into Alexa, automate some things, and gather some data. I begin gathering a list of candidates, outline the things I'm looking for, and start the reaseach.

Optiwatt? Nice, but pretty much for folks avoiding operating cost. I get it, but I wrote the really big check and my power is now free. Cut.

Next I fire off an email to one of the apps, this thing called "Tessie", Friday early evening asking some questions I couldn't derive from the website. Sure I could demo, but I could do that half a dozen app. I figured I'd cut the chaff first. Some of the questions were pretty vague 'cause after all its going to take 3-4 days for some prole from India to cut and paste his form answers, right?

Surprise level 3#: I received an answer within maybe 30 minutes. It wasn't complete, but I'd not been too detailed either. Thus we exchanged a few more emails, each with increasing detail. Oddly the support person sounded like maybe he actually knew something. But nah, that can't be in today's world. Anyway, more research was called for.

Surprise level #2: Well how about that! Tessie has a dedicated thread right on this forum and the developer is not only actively participating, he's monitoring, interfacing with his customers, and adding enhancements regularly. Hey, they might be serious.

Suprise Level #1: Wait, WTF!? The ACTUAL DEVELOPER was answering his own support calls well into Friday evening. I'm not sure I'll get what I need from Tessie, but I can tell you I'm stopping dead right here, right now, and starting the trial. Anybody doing that kind of job goes to the head of the line every single time.

James, major props sir!

Noob that I am, I started looking around for "THE" Tesla app to integrate into Alexa, automate some things, and gather some data. I begin gathering a list of candidates, outline the things I'm looking for, and start the reaseach.

Optiwatt? Nice, but pretty much for folks avoiding operating cost. I get it, but I wrote the really big check and my power is now free. Cut.

Next I fire off an email to one of the apps, this thing called "Tessie", Friday early evening asking some questions I couldn't derive from the website. Sure I could demo, but I could do that half a dozen app. I figured I'd cut the chaff first. Some of the questions were pretty vague 'cause after all its going to take 3-4 days for some prole from India to cut and paste his form answers, right?

Surprise level 3#: I received an answer within maybe 30 minutes. It wasn't complete, but I'd not been too detailed either. Thus we exchanged a few more emails, each with increasing detail. Oddly the support person sounded like maybe he actually knew something. But nah, that can't be in today's world. Anyway, more research was called for.

Surprise level #2: Well how about that! Tessie has a dedicated thread right on this forum and the developer is not only actively participating, he's monitoring, interfacing with his customers, and adding enhancements regularly. Hey, they might be serious.

Suprise Level #1: Wait, WTF!? The ACTUAL DEVELOPER was answering his own support calls well into Friday evening. I'm not sure I'll get what I need from Tessie, but I can tell you I'm stopping dead right here, right now, and starting the trial. Anybody doing that kind of job goes to the head of the line every single time.

James, major props sir!
Thanks! Trying to do the good work. :)

Here's how to find the location screen, the address bar and directions, and the range map:

View attachment 898641
View attachment 898640
View attachment 898642

Would love any suggestions for how to make any of it more intuitive.
I think one thing that would help would be more information about the automations. For instance: if I set an automation to "Start Climate / Preconditioning" at 4:45 AM, does it just turn on climate to the last setting, or does it set max defrost and for how long?

Another example is if I set an automation to max defrost at 5:00 does it keep it on forever if I don't have work that day unexpectedly, or does it turn off after x number or minutes.

I am new to Tessie and trying to figure out the best way to set these automations but there's not a lot of information I have been able to find. For example, my wife likes her car hotter than hell so she can set max defrost for 15 or 20 minutes and she loves it, I don't want the cabin too hot but I want the battery to be warmed up so I get better efficiency. I can't use the scheduled departure because I leave at different times M/T vs W/TH and nothing on Friday.

Edit: I keep getting doors unlocked notifications from Tessie immediately when parked if the app doesn't give enough time for lock on walk away to activate. I am also getting them when the car is unlocked. My first month paid for Stats app hasn't expired yet and I'm not getting the notifications from that app. Anyone have any thoughts on why Tessie is notifying me?

Edit 2: Sounds like my wife unlocked the doors then was talking to someone so that explains the 2nd notification. Are there plans to have the app lock the doors if they are left unlocked away from home similar to stats app?

Last edited:
I think one thing that would help would be more information about the automations. For instance: if I set an automation to "Start Climate / Preconditioning" at 4:45 AM, does it just turn on climate to the last setting, or does it set max defrost and for how long?

Another example is if I set an automation to max defrost at 5:00 does it keep it on forever if I don't have work that day unexpectedly, or does it turn off after x number or minutes.

I am new to Tessie and trying to figure out the best way to set these automations but there's not a lot of information I have been able to find. For example, my wife likes her car hotter than hell so she can set max defrost for 15 or 20 minutes and she loves it, I don't want the cabin too hot but I want the battery to be warmed up so I get better efficiency. I can't use the scheduled departure because I leave at different times M/T vs W/TH and nothing on Friday.
Starting climate uses your last settings, but because there are multiple profiles in the car, and there's no way to remotely choose a profile, it'll typically use the Easy Entry profile climate settings.

It doesn't insert any hidden magic for you, and it'll do exactly what you tell it. So if you tell it to start and never stop, it won't stop. Otherwise, you can add a Stop Climate/Preconditioning action.

In your wife's example, you would create one to Start Defrost then another one to Stop Defrost 15-20 minutes later.

For your battery regen example, I'd recommend starting climate/preconditioning 45 minutes before leaving.

To handle cases where you don't leave and don't want it on forever, you can handle this by telling it to stop if the car is still at a location.

For example, if you tell the car to start climate at 4:45 AM Monday through Friday, but on some of those days you might not actually go in, you can tell it to stop climate if the car is still at home at 5:30 AM. Make sense?

Starting climate uses your last settings, but because there are multiple profiles in the car, and there's no way to remotely choose a profile, it'll typically use the Easy Entry profile climate settings.

It doesn't insert any hidden magic for you, and it'll do exactly what you tell it. So if you tell it to start and never stop, it won't stop. Otherwise, you can add a Stop Climate/Preconditioning action.

For battery regen, I'd recommend starting climate/preconditioning 45 minutes before leaving.

In your wife's example, you would create one to Start Defrost then another one to Stop Defrost 15-20 minutes later.
Thanks for the quick response. So in the first example maybe I would add something to set the temp to 72 then I set the additional automation to Stop Climate/Preconditioning action? Do you know if the temperature dictates how fast/slow the battery gets preconditioned?

Thanks for the quick response. So in the first example maybe I would add something to set the temp to 72 then I set the additional automation to Stop Climate/Preconditioning action? Do you know if the temperature dictates how fast/slow the battery gets preconditioned?
Yep! Exactly right. I also updated my last response with some more tips, so check it out again.

Cabin temperature won't meaningfully affect it. The battery heater will turn on and do its thing regardless of your temperature setting.

Edit: I keep getting doors unlocked notifications from Tessie immediately when parked if the app doesn't give enough time for lock on walk away to activate. I am also getting them when the car is unlocked. My first month paid for Stats app hasn't expired yet and I'm not getting the notifications from that app. Anyone have any thoughts on why Tessie is notifying me?

Edit 2: Sounds like my wife unlocked the doors then was talking to someone so that explains the 2nd notification. Are there plans to have the app lock the doors if they are left unlocked away from home similar to stats app?
The car has to be unlocked and you have to be away for 3 minutes to get the unlocked notification. I'll consider automatic re-locking.

James, I understand the Tesla factory "precondition by" times out after 1 hour. Yours is calling differently and doesn't time-out? I suppose I'd rather see a user configurable "time-out after ABC minutes" then have to have an independent "off" routine. Your feelings?

I also believe the factory "precondition by" reverse engineers how much time it needs to heat. Does yours?

BTW, how would you feel about allowing a "sort" for automations? I'd certainly like to group them by location, but then I'd also like to see them by "arrival" or "departure" or etc..

For that matter how about an export link to a CSV so we could sort however we wanted?

Thanks!

-d

James, I understand the Tesla factory "precondition by" times out after 1 hour. Yours is calling differently and doesn't time-out? I suppose I'd rather see a user configurable "time-out after ABC minutes" then have to have an independent "off" routine. Your feelings?

I also believe the factory "precondition by" reverse engineers how much time it needs to heat. Does yours?

BTW, how would you feel about allowing a "sort" for automations? I'd certainly like to group them by location, but then I'd also like to see them by "arrival" or "departure" or etc..

For that matter how about an export link to a CSV so we could sort however we wanted?

Thanks!

-d
A new sorted automation UI is being built!

Automations don't have "precondition by" as a concept - it's aimed at allowing you to control the car how and when you want, with no surprises or magic. If you're looking for that reverse-timed "precondition by" behavior I'd definitely use Scheduled Departure.

Last edited:
Reactions: dafish
The car has to be unlocked and you have to be away for 3 minutes to get the unlocked notification. I'll consider automatic re-locking.
I would be careful with this one. Last week I had my car in for service and I got several unlocked notifications while they were working on it.

Edit: On second thought, that may have been coming from the stats app, I'm not sure. But I would still be careful with it.

Basically wakes it up, but doesnt turn on the hvac? I am just wondering what the intended use would be for. Thanks James! I'm on your beta team haha

Isnt the idea to save energy other than preconditioning your battery and cabin, that you dont need to start anything? Just get in and press the brake pedal.

Basically wakes it up, but doesnt turn on the hvac? I am just wondering what the intended use would be for. Thanks James! I'm on your beta team haha

Isnt the idea to save energy other than preconditioning your battery and cabin, that you dont need to start anything? Just get in and press the brake pedal.
It allows you to drive the car without a key, in case you don't have a key on you, or if it's not working, etc.

Reactions: Spinkick