Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official word from Tesla (GeorgeB) on the vanity mirror light and rear reading lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oddly enough my wife decided to brush her hair and tie it up as we were leaving the office yesterday. We were leaving late and it was dark already. Despite my turning on all the dome lights she couldn't see what she was doing. I couldn't see much myself. Not the end of the world but LOL.

I would like to pop mine open and have a look. From your photo, it appears that there are clips on the rear edge that unsnap and then it hinges down from the front (close to the windshield). Is this correct? I don't want to break anything!

Yep. I had no idea it was hinged. I just yanked down on it lol but yeah that's all you have to do - yank down on the end closer to you. I snaps right back in place.

I'm not particularly bothered by the lack of lighting in the vanity mirror, but I am disappointed that we wont get a replacement sun visor that actually stands a chance of blocking out the sun!

Maybe it's my driving position, but I find them not too bad. If I put it straight down, it blocks the sun for me, and I wouldn't really want it any lower or I couldn't see the road. I think it's because of the slope of the roof and the fact that they're hinged further up. If I open them all the way down towards the glass, they actually don't cover anything. I found this out trying to use them to hold my sunscreen in place over the summer. The trick seems to be to lower them straight down, and don't push them forward towards the glass like you would in most cars.

Noticed that the Tesla China website lists 'Front visor mirror with LED lighting' in the Specs page under Convenience Features.

http://www.teslamotors.com/cn/models/specs

The US website just states: 'Front sun visors' without mentioning any lights.

I wonder if this is a feature that is just showing up in export cars? Can anyone else confirm this?

Last edited:
Noticed that the Tesla China website lists 'Front visor mirror with LED lighting' in the Specs page under Convenience Features.

http://www.teslamotors.com/cn/models/specs

The US website just states: 'Front sun visors' without mentioning any lights.

I wonder if this is a feature that is just showing up in export cars? Can anyone else confirm this?

As someone who just ordered a Model S, this is interesting...do we have a new set of features coming our way?