Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Older Teslas limited to 90kW Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll run the battery down to a lower state of charge tomorrow on our roadtrip to the Bay area. This was with the battery at about a 45% SOC I believe. Initially when it started up the touchscreen displayed 370 volts at 286 amps. This charge was done at the Centralia, WA Superchargers. We were the only car there at the time. Here is a picture as the battery charging was ramping up initially:

93 kW is at 45% SOC is still quite good, consider yourself lucky. By 45%, my A pack is already down below 80 kW.

Update - Confirmed that I was able to charge at 120kW when starting at a lower initial state of charge:
Car details:

Signature VIN #532
P85+
'B' battery pack

IMG_2745.jpg

@Blurry_Eyed, you can consider changing the charge display setting to ENERGY rather than DISTANCE. You'll see kW numbers on the 17" and in the mobile app.

This doesn't work for me. My app always displays the stupid MPH "energy" unit. I've tried toggling the setting several times and I've been through many resets, tried many phones/tablets, through multiple versions of firmware, over the past year. No Dice.

This doesn't work for me. My app always displays the stupid MPH "energy" unit. I've tried toggling the setting several times and I've been through many resets, tried many phones/tablets, through multiple versions of firmware, over the past year. No Dice.

Strange. It changes for me rightaway. I have the latest version of the iPhone app though; the Android app has been lagging, hasn't it?! (Noticed you said "tablets" and not iPads...)

Which SC was this 120kW charging at?

This was at the Springfield, Oregon Supercharger.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think the app gets to choose. It's just reading the REST data. My unofficial Windows Phone app shows whatever I have selected in the car.

For my iPhone app, there is no way to choose the MPH vs. kW reading, I toggled it in the car as gg suggested and it flowed through to my iPhone app display units as shown in the attached picture:

IMG_2748.PNG

It appears to be an Android thing. I tried it with an S4 I have lying around and it read mi/hr no matter what I set the car to. Weird.

Yay! I'm not crazy!

The Android app is the pre-slider app and hasn't been updated in a while. iOS app has received another step update since.

What is this "slider" thing you speak of? Is that the charge limit? I have never seen an update to the Android app since I installed it on the first day it was available early (Jan or Feb) 2013. I had no idea the iOS version has been getting updates behind our (Android users) backs! What other differences are there?

Yay! I'm not crazy!

What is this "slider" thing you speak of? Is that the charge limit? I have never seen an update to the Android app since I installed it on the first day it was available early (Jan or Feb) 2013. I had no idea the iOS version has been getting updates behind our (Android users) backs! What other differences are there?

The slider is just like on the car since v5.6? where you can set your charge percentage to various tick marks corresponding to 50-100%. The iOS hasn't gotten updated in a long time either but not sure if there are any other differences.

Android still has the "standard" and "max range" charge buttons instead of the "charge limit" setting. There are other cosmetic differences, such as the Android app saying "Attempting to contact car..." instead of iOS's "Waking car..." message. Pretty much everything else is the same - the Android app doesn't know about the 19" Cyclone wheels and shows the 21" Turbines when the wheel flag is set to "Turbine19".

Android still has the "standard" and "max range" charge buttons instead of the "charge limit" setting. There are other cosmetic differences, such as the Android app saying "Attempting to contact car..." instead of iOS's "Waking car..." message. Pretty much everything else is the same - the Android app doesn't know about the 19" Cyclone wheels and shows the 21" Turbines when the wheel flag is set to "Turbine19".

Thanks. The 19"/21" wheel bug has been bothering me since the beginning.

Going rapidly off topic? isn't there an android thread?

No, Android users are used to playing second-fiddle to iOS. :)

Seriously, yes, getting a bit OT. Hopefully we'll see an Android update in the next year or so that might reflect instantaneous power entering the car in kW so we can sit and grouse about 90 kW vs. 120 kW vs. 135 kW while enjoying our dinner at the Superchargers. :)