Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My account page got updated to indicate a delivery date of Sept 17 (Day 1 reservation, June 19 order, see my sig for config). No VIN assigned that I know of but I haven't called in to ask. Since the car is apparently not going to be delivered until after Sept 10, whether or not there's a change in the rebate cancellation policy no longer impacts me. It's a frustrating but expected ending to my story. Good luck everyone!

But the rebate change didn't impact you either way since you're buying an AWD car.

Exactly what I said.
Yes you did. You and the PCs think that changing eligibility for one manufacturer and calling it ‘support’ for the others is fooling anyone as to what is going on. It’s not about support for the others. It’s about an attack on Tesla. The byproduct is the appearance of support for the rest. I’m not sure a judge will buy that was the plan given their negative comments about Tesla during the campaign and after. Pretty clear it was motivated to single them out.

Read my next post - I changed to AWD when I found out my delivery date was after Sept 10.

IF and only if Tesla win, the judge could change the date to 2 months after the decision day. That is, those who order the Tesla Model 3 RWD before July 11 is eligible for the rebate provided it got delivered and plated on or before (fill in the blank) regardless of whether they cancel the order or not. In effect, cancel the condition imposed by PC.

Doing so will

1/ reverse the financial damages to Tesla and the buyer. Of course, a buyer can still decide not to go ahead with the order

2/ No cash to Tesla; Tesla will get the sale if buyer proceed with the order (cancelled or not).

PC could actually let the program dies once it reaches the 250 million or whatever funding without cancelling it. The problem here becomes Tesla was singled out and it looks like the lawyers in Tesla think that they have a strong case and that is why they're proceeding with the lawsuit.

IF and only if Tesla win, the judge could change the date to 2 months after the decision day. That is, those who order the Tesla Model 3 RWD before July 11 is eligible for the rebate provided it got delivered and plated on or before (fill in the blank) regardless of whether they cancel the order or not. In effect, cancel the condition imposed by PC.

Doing so will

1/ reverse the financial damages to Tesla and the buyer. Of course, a buyer can still decide not to go ahead with the order

2/ No cash to Tesla; Tesla will get the sale if buyer proceed with the order (cancelled or not).

PC could actually let the program dies once it reaches the 250 million or whatever funding without cancelling it. The problem here becomes Tesla was singled out and it looks like the lawyers in Tesla think that they have a strong case and that is why they're proceeding with the lawsuit.

This is about what I had envisioned from my amateur perspective. The judge could extend the timeline to make up for any perceived dead band of time that inhibits taking possession by Sept 10th or could even just allow everyone that was affected, regardless of whether you cancelled or not as long as you had placed an order by June 29 and plated anytime in 2018. Then, as you say, there would be no need to go down the convoluted path of assessing and assigning damages. Just let the program be used by all as it was intended.

Though it would still be nice if they also qualified the AWD but I don't think that's going to happen. Someone who's already ordered an AWD might want to ask that they try to include that :)

Doing so will

Everyone with a RWD order will be forced to make their own decision once delivery time comes. I weighed all the possible outcomes including the above possibility and decided that I didn’t want to be “stuck” with the RWD at full price - I’d rather have the AWD for a bit more. The “cost” of my decision is taking myself out of contention for the rebate, if the cancellation policy is altered. I’ve agonized over this decision for weeks now. I’m sort of glad it’s over. I must say, this experience has totally dampened my excitement for the car. Hopefully this will be reversed when I finally get behind the wheel.

Everyone with a RWD order will be forced to make their own decision once delivery time comes. I weighed all the possible outcomes including the above possibility and decided that I didn’t want to be “stuck” with the RWD at full price - I’d rather have the AWD for a bit more. The “cost” of my decision is taking myself out of contention for the rebate, if the cancellation policy is altered. I’ve agonized over this decision for weeks now. I’m sort of glad it’s over. I must say, this experience has totally dampened my excitement for the car. Hopefully this will be reversed when I finally get behind the wheel.
My thoughts exactly. I switched to AWD on Monday but it's not reflected in mytesla.... How long after you switched did you see it in your profile? Tesla sent me an email asking for what changes I wanted made because I no longer had an edit button.

My thoughts exactly. I switched to AWD on Monday but it's not reflected in mytesla.... How long after you switched did you see it in your profile? Tesla sent me an email asking for what changes I wanted made because I no longer had an edit button.

It should typically take about 3-4 days for the change to show up in your account. It depends on how busy they are with other change requests. I made a request to change paint colour (already had AWD on order) the day after they announced white interior was available for AWD non performance, and it took 3 weeks for the change to show up and my delivery window got bumped back by a month.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ludatik
Another consideration, if there happens to be a ruling in favor of Tesla (as a dealer) and lets say the stars line up and we receive ours cars in time either before the 10th or some court extended date, does that mean there will be a point of sale rebate with Tesla sending in the forms for the rebate?

I doubt there would be a point of sale rebate but in working out the logistics of who qualifies, it might be that Tesla would need to be the sole point of contact for all the paperwork on this including sending in the forms. I would suspect that if the outcome was favorable, there would have to be some negotiation between Tesla and the MTO (in the courtroom) as to how it would actually be implemented to ensure only those affected were able to take advantage. Tesla would have all those records so to that degree makes sense they would have a unique roadmap spelled out for processing these claims that included them sending a "package" of information for each special claim.

Fellow TM3 owners,

Now that Tesla Inc has filed this lawsuit with the Ontario Superior Court, then we must all wait for its
natural progression.

Surely, the "Buck a Beer" Premier will NOW keep his mouth shut!
Tesla will ONLY do its talking through the Provincial Court

Y'all gotta wait for the verdict.
Personally, I believe Tesla Inc will win since it was discriminated against
and the other OEM car manufacturers were not.
Do not under-estimate the power & influence of Big Oil and the Auto Conglmerates