Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have a decent contact at Tesla? Ordered a LR RWD on June 9th. With a 4-8 week delivery window. Saturday it will be 11 weeks with not a word from Tesla. Does anyone know when the cars being delivered now, ordered? Repeated emails go unanswered. Frustrating customer service.
I would have a little patience. Tesla has asked to expedite the law suite. This tells me that they have the vehicles ready and waiting. If you don’t care about receiving the the rebate then let them know. I’m sure they will get you your vehicle. Right now they are trying to make sure the hundreds of vehicles that are ordered prior to July 11th get the rebate to complete the sale. Most will cancel unless rebate is there. They are producing 5500 vehicles per week. Not to hard to set aside a few hundred for Ontario customers. If that’s the number.

Does anyone have a decent contact at Tesla? Ordered a LR RWD on June 9th. With a 4-8 week delivery window. Saturday it will be 11 weeks with not a word from Tesla. Does anyone know when the cars being delivered now, ordered? Repeated emails go unanswered. Frustrating customer service.

Like me, you got caught in the “revision” they made on the site. They opened all Model 3’s up to the public around the 24th, and all outstanding deliveries got pushed into a later category (Aug-Oct delivery).

I ordered mine on the 17th, and I share in your disappointment re: the delay and lack of communication. However, it is giving me more time to attempt to persuade my wife to buy the car even without the rebate.

• Funny
Reactions: champion1955

I ordered June 21st. Also with a 4-8 week delivery, I have screen-shots that I took of my order to prove it.
I spoke to Tesla yesterday and they did not know when the delivery would be. I mention the 4-8 week delivery upon original order on June 21st and the representative did not have an answer for me.

Emails are useless, I have 7 emails over the past 5 weeks to which I haven't received a single response. My suggestion is to call them directly.

Even if this law suit does go through and the decision is reversed, there is very little chance for us to get the vehicles by Sept. 10.

I would have a little patience. Tesla has asked to expedite the law suite. This tells me that they have the vehicles ready and waiting. If you don’t care about receiving the the rebate then let them know. I’m sure they will get you your vehicle. Right now they are trying to make sure the hundreds of vehicles that are ordered prior to July 11th get the rebate to complete the sale. Most will cancel unless rebate is there. They are producing 5500 vehicles per week. Not to hard to set aside a few hundred for Ontario customers. If that’s the number.

Wrong. If this was the case then ineligible vehicles (namely the P-AWD since the price exceeds the threshold, and likely the AWD since it was never on the list) would be delivered. Canada is not getting vehicles for .... reasons. Which I suspect are just related to crappy Tesla logistics and lack of planning foresight. Not bashing the car... I think it's evident from these forums that Tesla customer server and delivery operations are horrible.

I disagree. I agree most Ontarians think those who buy EVs are rich people. But I don't think most Ontarians care which EV they're buying (they hate Prius owners just as much, I'd reckon!). I don't think they realize one manufacturer was singled out. I think even working-class Ontarians wouldn't support the government picking on one vendor. The lawsuit puts the focus on the government for its biased policies, not on how special Tesla buyers are (or rich). Could help tilt the public sentiment if positioned right: "PCs getting in the way of business!!". Imagine.

We can even suppose conservatives / capitalists like Tesla, the company, and Musk, the entrepreneur, more than Tesla buyers. Musk is seen as a firebrand capitalist at least as much as he's perceived as an environmentalist. Could help the cause.

OK, maybe I'm being optimistic... :rolleyes:

The Ontario government is not picking on one vendor. Tesla decided to do direct sales and bypass the dealer network to save money(Eliminate jobs). That was their choice and now they have to live by that choice. Tesla could of setup a dealer network that had independent sales and service centers (AKA Dealers) because they didn't the program was not extended for them. Seems pretty simple.

Oh for F sakes!!! I have the best timing.
Sounds like me. I ordered RWD on July 11th, then heard the news that evening about the rebate ending. At the time I didn't know Tesla was excluded from the September 10 cutoff and was hoping Tesla would push Ontario up in the production queue. On July 13th I found out the rules for Tesla were special and cancelled my order that day. I then ordered AWD July 29th rebate be damned. I am not sure if I should be kicking myself at this point or not with this new lawsuit...

The Ontario government is not picking on one vendor. Tesla decided to do direct sales and bypass the dealer network to save money(Eliminate jobs). That was their choice and now they have to live by that choice. Tesla could of setup a dealer network that had independent sales and service centers (AKA Dealers) because they didn't the program was not extended for them. Seems pretty simple.
Yes and if Tesla’s were never eligible as a result you’d be correct. Since the PCs rode this exlcusion in from the middle of nowhere at the last minute to pick on a thorn in their campaign side you’re wrong. Tesla has always been the poster boy antithesis of Dougie and the fight for the little guy. The exclusion was a concocted rule at the last minute aimed to single out ‘the enemy’.

We aren't debating the legal case or the nuances of dealer statuses. My point is the public's perception (and we know from the US that the public's perception can be very unsophisticated). It's possible the case will tilt public perception away from Tesla and against the Ford government.

@adaptabl, we've agreed in the past. From my point of view, it's hard to support your posts when you keep declaring you know the facts and everyone else is wrong. If you said more often, "I don't think it'll go anywhere" instead of declaring opinions like they're facts, then I'd be more open to respecting your opinion. Another example is "The Ontario government is not picking on one vendor" when a gov spokesperson identified Tesla by name as being the vendor which the grace period was supposed to exclude. You do sound like you're bitter at losing the Model 3 for the time being, and this is clouding your view of the issue. I understand that.

Wrong. If this was the case then ineligible vehicles (namely the P-AWD since the price exceeds the threshold, and likely the AWD since it was never on the list) would be delivered. Canada is not getting vehicles for .... reasons. Which I suspect are just related to crappy Tesla logistics and lack of planning foresight. Not bashing the car... I think it's evident from these forums that Tesla customer server and delivery operations are horrible.
oh, and i thought the government was to blame
Relieved to see Canadian government actually doing its best. That immigrant Musk is to blame, got it.

Sorry about the screw up...reasons.

Last edited:

The point of the program from its inception was to accelerate the adoption of EV in Ontario. It had nothing to do with fleecing the pockets of dealers. Why do the details of the purchasing model have anything to do with the grandfathering of the program? The point was to entice end consumers to adopt EV quicker which provides a benefit to all citizens. The point is that over time the cost of batteries will drop and bring EV prices inline with ICE cars. More volume is required to do so so hence an incentive. Governments around the world realize this is a GOOD THING and have enacted incentives. Even in the US under Trump there is a federal rebate.

Cancelling the program in the first place is dumb. Even dumber is excluding the biggest company that has been a strong driver in EV adoption in the grandfathering. The dumbest is not having any rationale explanation for the exclusion except for lies spewing from the mouth of buck-a-beer premier.

The point of the program from its inception was to accelerate the adoption of EV in Ontario. It had nothing to do with fleecing the pockets of dealers. Why do the details of the purchasing model have anything to do with the grandfathering of the program? The point was to entice end consumers to adopt EV quicker which provides a benefit to all citizens. The point is that over time the cost of batteries will drop and bring EV prices inline with ICE cars. More volume is required to do so so hence an incentive. Governments around the world realize this is a GOOD THING and have enacted incentives. Even in the US under Trump there is a federal rebate.

Cancelling the program in the first place is dumb. Even dumber is excluding the biggest company that has been a strong driver in EV adoption in the grandfathering. The dumbest is not having any rationale explanation for the exclusion except for lies spewing from the mouth of buck-a-beer premier.

BUCK A BEER!

Buck a beer and special brownies.

Attachments

• buck-a-beer-doug-ford.jpg
    buck-a-beer-doug-ford.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 44

I agree the point of the program was to encourage EV sales. The Ford government does not agree with that that it seems.

The point of the windup was to help protect those dealers that would be caught in the middle as the program ended. Dealers could of been caught with unsellable inventory on their lots. I believe most people believe EV sales will drop dramatically without the program. The windup has absolutely nothing to do with the original goals of the program. Nor was it not to protect manufacturers.

Sounds like me. I ordered RWD on July 11th, then heard the news that evening about the rebate ending. At the time I didn't know Tesla was excluded from the September 10 cutoff and was hoping Tesla would push Ontario up in the production queue. On July 13th I found out the rules for Tesla were special and cancelled my order that day. I then ordered AWD July 29th rebate be damned. I am not sure if I should be kicking myself at this point or not with this new lawsuit...

Sorry to hear that. My situation is similar. Where many canceled their order because it was no longer worthwhile for them to buy the car without the incentive, I actually cannot buy it because I don't have enough money to do so (including the money I've borrowed and personal items I've sold). And yet, I'm still holding onto my order in hopes this goes okay.

I think the reason for the targeting is money savings and divide and conquer, as sad as it may be. There aren't enough of us making a stink about this. There aren't enough of us stuck in tesla-incentive-limbo for them to care or cause a splash. Look how the media handled this, we got a few articles and they went off to discuss Elon Musk's "pedo" tweet.

Huge kudos to JDixon who has been rallying us from day one. We need more of an effort to voice our concerns. Power in numbers and if we really want a change, we need to band together and do something about it.

Attachments

• doug ford thanos.jpg
    doug ford thanos.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 38

Did you miss my post where I conveyed what my MPP told me? She asked the Minister of Transportation about the issue point blank, and he specifically said they were supporting traditional dealers, and not Tesla.

@adaptabl
I just have one question for you - why are you being so negative on everything? Although I've surrendered and cancelled my order, I still hope that whoever kept the order will eventually get the rebate...

Future programs? DF's PC will never feeds Tesla... This is the sole reason Tesla was excluded in the first place...

Probably, because he is either Dough Ford himself, or somebody close to him / working for him.
Hey Doug, I have news for you: you have canceled the $14k rebate for me (1-time), but I have canceled the $140k support I was paying to the government every year! Yup, I'm leaving the country and not paying you any more tax!

Probably, because he is either Dough Ford himself, or somebody close to him / working for him.
Hey Doug, I have news for you: you have canceled the $14k rebate for me (1-time), but I have canceled the $140k support I was paying to the government every year! Yup, I'm leaving the country and not paying you any more tax!

Doug is crying, actually laughing pretty hard. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

P.S. Pretty childish to spend the time to go back and do so many disagrees but funny.