Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of time has passed, and events happened, since we prompted about what people did after Ford cancelled the EVHIP rebate. I'm curious how people have responded since last month. Can you please update your entry so we can see what the majority have done?

upload_2018-8-18_19-28-28.png

Fellow TM3 owners,

Now that Tesla Inc has filed this lawsuit with the Ontario Superior Court, then we must all wait for its
natural progression.

Surely, the "Buck a Beer" Premier will NOW keep his mouth shut!
Tesla will ONLY do its talking through the Provincial Court

Y'all gotta wait for the verdict.
Personally, I believe Tesla Inc will win since it was discriminated against
and the other OEM car manufacturers were not.
Do not under-estimate the power & influence of Big Oil and the Auto Conglmerates

A little (a lot) off topic but how are the MPP products working out for you? Do you have it at stock height?

He hasn't kept his mouth shut as per the interview he did while in Hamilton the other day. Quoted the rebate at 16k. Says Tesla should be setting up shop in Ontario just like the big 5 do. He seemed to be reaching for his responses. Clearly he has no interest in the actual issues, just the money. Taking money from cap and trade programs and not using them for environment initiatives is thievery regardless how this all works out.

I think the Tesla application is well thought out. Hopefully it's not tossed on some obscure technical (*cough* big oil) detail.

Let's also not lose sight of the fact that despite their foibles, Tesla are the good guys.

If Tesla does not win I don't think they are backing down. They can appeal the decision and go into a higher court that doesn't care who's running Ontario. Things can get really ugly and very costly for Ontario. I'm surprised Tesla didn't ask for their legal costs to be covered. I would have put it out there because Ontario is in the wrong here and it's going to cost us :(

• Funny
Reactions: adaptabl
If Tesla does not win I don't think they are backing down. They can appeal the decision and go into a higher court that doesn't care who's running Ontario. Things can get really ugly and very costly for Ontario. I'm surprised Tesla didn't ask for their legal costs to be covered. I would have put it out there because Ontario is in the wrong here and it's going to cost us :(

That "case" will get tossed out very quickly. Everything the Ford government did is within it's rights. A rebate program is not guaranteed to anyone and they are free to change it as they see fit. Tesla was the one who decided to do direct sales. Any other automaker doing direct sales is also be excluded from the wind down program.

Although I disagree with the program being cancelled (I think it should of been scaled back and the cap lowered again to $50.000). I did not vote for the PC's but totally respect Ford's right to govern as the elected party.

That "case" will get tossed out very quickly. Everything the Ford government did is within it's rights. A rebate program is not guaranteed to anyone and they are free to change it as they see fit. Tesla was the one who decided to do direct sales. Any other automaker doing direct sales is also be excluded from the wind down program.

Although I disagree with the program being cancelled (I think it should of been scaled back and the cap lowered again to $50.000). I did not vote for the PC's but totally respect Ford's right to govern as the elected party.
Other corporate dealerships are getting the rebate.

I would also urge anyone that hasn't already done so to please enter an appropriate response in the EV POLL. Metrics are our friend.

From the survey, it seems that most people are keeping the decision or will keep the decision to purchase M3. The only thing not clear to me is that at what percentage of us, we placed the order for dual motor that's irrelevant from this rebate program.

I suspected very few would be physically benefit from the law suite if Tesla wins ... or is Tesla just doing some PR to improve the branding??

The government mentioned "franchised" dealerships

The rules are:

"Vehicles that were ordered directly from an original equipment manufacturer by a consumer (i.e. direct sales, as opposed to sales through a franchised automobile dealership) but are delivered, registered and plated on July 12, 2018 or later are not eligible for EHVIP incentive.
Eligible vehicles that were an Ontario franchised auto dealer’s Ontario lot, or for which orders were placed by an Ontario franchised auto dealer with original equipment manufacturers on or before July 11, 2018, will be eligible for an EHVIP incentive, provided the vehicles are on the approved Ministry order list and are delivered, registered, and plated on or before September 10, 2018, and the incentive applications for the vehicles are submitted within 90 days of vehicle registration and plating.
For a vehicle to be on the approved order list, dealers must provide the Ministry of Transportation (Ministry) with the required information (eligible vehicles in inventory on Ontario lots of Ontario franchised auto dealers and orders placed with by Ontario franchised auto dealers with their manufacturers on or before July 11, 2018) by end of day July 16, 2018 to
[email protected]
. Vehicles ordered directly from a manufacturer that were not plated and registered on or before July 11, 2018 are not eligible for an incentive. Only vehicles on the list of
eligible vehicles
for EHVIP are eligible for incentives. Models that are not on the list will not be eligible for an incentive."

Looks pretty clear to me.

• Disagree
Reactions: champion1955
I wonder if Tesla felt they were a dealer did they do this:

"For a vehicle to be on the approved order list, dealers must provide the Ministry of Transportation (Ministry) with the required information (eligible vehicles in inventory on Ontario lots of Ontario franchised auto dealers and orders placed with by Ontario franchised auto dealers with their manufacturers on or before July 11, 2018) by end of day July 16, 2018 to
[email protected]"

The rules are:

"Vehicles that were ordered directly from an original equipment manufacturer by a consumer (i.e. direct sales, as opposed to sales through a franchised automobile dealership) but are delivered, registered and plated on July 12, 2018 or later are not eligible for EHVIP incentive.
Eligible vehicles that were an Ontario franchised auto dealer’s Ontario lot, or for which orders were placed by an Ontario franchised auto dealer with original equipment manufacturers on or before July 11, 2018, will be eligible for an EHVIP incentive, provided the vehicles are on the approved Ministry order list and are delivered, registered, and plated on or before September 10, 2018, and the incentive applications for the vehicles are submitted within 90 days of vehicle registration and plating.
For a vehicle to be on the approved order list, dealers must provide the Ministry of Transportation (Ministry) with the required information (eligible vehicles in inventory on Ontario lots of Ontario franchised auto dealers and orders placed with by Ontario franchised auto dealers with their manufacturers on or before July 11, 2018) by end of day July 16, 2018 to
[email protected]
. Vehicles ordered directly from a manufacturer that were not plated and registered on or before July 11, 2018 are not eligible for an incentive. Only vehicles on the list of
eligible vehicles
for EHVIP are eligible for incentives. Models that are not on the list will not be eligible for an incentive."

Looks pretty clear to me.
Yup you're right no mention of the word franchised