Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I vaguely remember seeing something about this, but can't find it now that this thread is super long.

Does anyone know if the EVSE rebate requires both charging station + install?

It looks like I already have a nema plug in the garage, so I only need the charging station. If I buy the charger, can I get the rebate (just for the charger)?

Based on the program site, it looks like it needs both...

Most Model S/X owners do not care. They can afford the car regardless of rebate and would purchase the car regardless. Model 3 Premium LR owners care, but it is not do or die. Most of us appreciate the $14k as a discount towards having a long range battery and part of the premium package.

However, Model 3 future owners that are anticipating a standard range non premium car are very much dependant on the rebate, this is the make it or break it point for them purchasing a model 3. Many people are even considering taking a low interest loan for the $14k separate as they cant afford the car otherwise.

S and X buyers do not get the rebate now. Only Model 3 buyers. The program was changed so those who can afford $50.000+ cars do not get the rebate. A good idea.

Was the confirmation email immediate (auto-respond) or was it someone reading your email and sending a response? I sent in my application on Saturday but haven't gotten a response yet..

FYI, here's what the email automatic reply looked like when I submitted my application. I was worried because the total size of my PDF attachments was huge (over 10MB) so I was happy to get the auto-reply.

Hello,

Your email to the Electric Vehicle Incentive Program has been received.

Should you require a response, you will be contacted within 1 business day.

If you have submitted an Electric Vehicle application, please note your application is very important to us and we process all applications on a first come first serve basis.

With the Modernized EVIP, we have received a high volume of applications and are working as quickly as we can but please be aware of delays.

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

If you require more information regarding the Electric Vehicle Program please visit the web link below.

Electric vehicles incentive program

Thank you,
Electric Vehicle Incentive Program
1-866-668-8297

"Through Ontario's Climate Change Strategy, we will reduce emissions from transportation by promoting the adoption of battery electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles"​

S and X buyers do not get the rebate now. Only Model 3 buyers. The program was changed so those who can afford $50.000+ cars do not get the rebate. A good idea.

No, it's a stupid idea. It's not supposed to be some sort of social equity program. The intent of the rebate is to convince someone considering an ICE to buy a slightly more expensive EV thereby resulting in one fewer ICE car on the road. If we can pay someone considering a Sentra to purchase a Leaf, why can't we do the same for someone considering a Range Rover to pay a little more for a Model X? The rebate is actually a smaller percentage of the total cost of these more expensive cars, and arguably gets a larger ICE with higher emissions off the road.

In Ontario we have some crazy deals with "green" producers where we pay them to generate electricity even though we don't need it. Then have to sell it at a lower cost than we pay. That is where we do sell it at a loss.

Well, again the popular press makes this out as if it has more of an impact than it does. Yes, some pretty stupid deals were signed with "green" power producers that guarantees a fixed price that is generally higher than the average HOEP and requires the IESO to accept their power any time they produce it. But these producers are so tiny compared to all of the other generation entities in Ontario that their higher costs get blended in with all the other costs and barely represent a blip in the averaged price across all power producers. These green producers do come out winners by getting paid more for their power than the "going rate", but since power from all producers is blended into the same grid, there is nothing sold at a loss. Their higher rates just drive the Ontario average price up a teeny tiny bit.

Well, again the popular press makes this out as if it has more of an impact than it does. Yes, some pretty stupid deals were signed with "green" power producers that guarantees a fixed price that is generally higher than the average HOEP and requires the IESO to accept their power any time they produce it. But these producers are so tiny compared to all of the other generation entities in Ontario that their higher costs get blended in with all the other costs and barely represent a blip in the averaged price across all power producers. These green producers do come out winners by getting paid more for their power than the "going rate", but since power from all producers is blended into the same grid, there is nothing sold at a loss. Their higher rates just drive the Ontario average price up a teeny tiny bit.

You can average all you want but the KWH's paid to the "Green" producers are often sold at a lower price than is paid. That is selling at a loss.

You can average all you want but the KWH's paid to the "Green" producers are often sold at a lower price than is paid. That is selling at a loss.

I'm not sure I follow. You can't sell electricity from one single source... that's not how the electricity system and market works. Power is provided from numerous sources and each is settling out with the market using various pricing schemes. Based on all of this, and upon demand, the hourly price is established. Yes, green producers are settled at fairly high prices, but certain Ontario Hydro legacy stations also have higher prices and some nukes are also on fixed prices. Peaker plants, when they run, can be quite expensive as well.

It's like a bunch of people pouring water into a bucket, but they are all charging different prices for that water. Once the water is blended, you can't go back and extract one person's water... it's all just water now. The price of all the water in the bucket is a blend of all the individual contributions that made it up.

Reactions: SlyWombat
Damn, just resent my EHVIP application after never receiving an auto-reply and finally got one. Previously I only got a reply for the EVCIP email and thought they maybe only send one to each person - clearly not the case, their auto-replies are just VERY unreliable. Two re-sends and never got anything back until this third try.

They'd better honour the date I originally sent them both two weeks ago or I ain't going to be happy....

I vaguely remember seeing something about this, but can't find it now that this thread is super long.

Does anyone know if the EVSE rebate requires both charging station + install?

It looks like I already have a nema plug in the garage, so I only need the charging station. If I buy the charger, can I get the rebate (just for the charger)?

Based on the program site, it looks like it needs both...

No, you can file for just the charger portion. I hope that's correct anyway, I just did a couple weeks ago.

I called Ministry of Finance. She said if I only got the charger, and have an existing plug in the garage, I only fill in the charging station portion (because I am only claiming the charging station portion). Do not need to fill in the installation portion (leave those blank).

So same deal as the vehicle form, manually print off to sign instead of using the embedded print button to go around the validation.

So... I check the mail today, and there's a cheque to me from the Ontario government, and it's from a department titled "Ontario Shared Services: Operations and Transformation Support Branch". I'm not expecting any money from the gov't (especially that's not a direct deposit), so I'm thinking "what the hell?? Is it possible they turned a rebate in 2-3 weeks? Maybe it's the charger rebate and they turn that one quicker??"

It was the $45 refund I got on my last plate sticker for turning in my old plates.... :(

Doug Ford scrapping the Cap and Trade program as his first act as premier.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/doug-ford-cap-and-trade-1.4707728
https://news.ontario.ca/opd/en/2018...end-to-ontarios-cap-and-trade-carbon-tax.html
23C0BB27-FACA-4552-B324-08B6B66BBE50.jpeg

Thoughts?

Last edited: