Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not from Ontario but from what I read early this year, it’s been discussed many time this will be gone once Ford became elected. Now I see a lot of posts people blaming Tesla or the government. Assuming Ford is busy and he won’t be cancelling the rebate doesn’t sound very logical to me. At the end of the day, don’t buy something you can’t afford!

I don’t think people are “blaming” Tesla, and I certainly wasn’t. I know what I was agreeing to when I signed the terms of agreement.
I AM holding the government accountable, however.

If an incentive is in place when a vehicle is purchased, it should be honoured. Cap and trade has funded the rebate program for years and the rebate should only expire once the proceeds within the fund are expired.

I can afford an $80,000 car. I just don’t know if I WANT to.

That’s my two cents!

I don’t think people are “blaming” Tesla, and I certainly wasn’t. I know what I was agreeing to when I signed the terms of agreement.
I AM holding the government accountable, however.

If an incentive is in place when a vehicle is purchased, it should be honoured. Cap and trade has funded the rebate program for years and the rebate should only expire once the proceeds within the fund are expired.

I can afford an $80,000 car. I just don’t know if I WANT to.

That’s my two cents!
Bingo!

The only ones being hosed are LR+ Rwd orders that placed their order before the double standard wind down was announced

Haven’t seen the comments since I don’t subscribe to the globe online but I’d assume, perhaps wrongly, that most readers aren’t grasping the fairness and equal issue.

Can you explain what you mean?

The program is an incentive - of a limited time once widespread adoption occurs and (hopefully) the costs go down. Yes, BEVs are expensive because the technology is still new(ish) and expensive., however the cost factor of a Tesla is well above the average price of a car right now. For those who have a hard time affording a basic car, then they certainly are entitled to question the "fairness" and "equality" of the program.

A point mentioned in the CBC news segment was that some Tesla customer had tweet exchanges with Doug Ford and claimed that they were assured that they were Eligible if the car was purchased before a certain date. I'd be interested to see those exchanges if it did mention Tesla, and Doug's words on it...

Can anyone find these?

I find it hard to believe being a Canadian who pays hard earned tax dollars to being treated in this manner. What kind of Goverment is this where they decide who is eligible and who is not based on who their friends are (Doug’s dealership friends?)

Tesla being singled out like this is a legal issue which the company should pursue as the PC’s should not be allowed to get away with this. If the model 3 was eligible for a rebate, than the wind down of the program should apply to all cars equally in the same manner. There were no special rules to be granted a rebate for Tesla so there should be no special rule for the wind down of the program. This is Canada and I feel this kind of treatment for Tesla purchasers violates our rights and is unconstitutional (only because it’s a Tesla car?). I never did and won’t ever vote for the conservatives.

Reactions: Amandeep
Why would a province keep theirs if the fed would cover the rebate?
I find it hard to believe being a Canadian who pays hard earned tax dollars to being treated in this manner. What kind of Goverment is this where they decide who is eligible and who is not based on who their friends are (Doug’s dealership friends?)

Tesla being singled out like this is a legal issue which the company should pursue as the PC’s should not be allowed to get away with this. If the model 3 was eligible for a rebate, than the wind down of the program should apply to all cars equally in the same manner. There were no special rules to be granted a rebate for Tesla so there should be no special rule for the wind down of the program. This is Canada and I feel this kind of treatment for Tesla purchasers violates our rights and is unconstitutional (only because it’s a Tesla car?). I never did and won’t ever vote for the conservatives.

6 or so months ago, Ontario's liberal govt changed EVIP rule without notice setting the eligibility cap to $77k, thus excluding the base model s and X. Gov'ts of all political leanings help their friends.

Dude if your can’t afford 50+ for a car on your own merit that sucks and I wish your life was different. The incentive wasn’t for those that can’t afford a car. It was to go green. Many vehicles on the list were pushing high numbers, well above the 25k all in econobox price.

What I meant was simply this: you can’t have two wind down practices. One for car makers you like and one for ones you don’t. That is not fair. Everyone but Tesla qualifies until sept except Tesla. Why?

I’m qualified already and I have no skin in the game. I do know the difference between fair and unfair. In this circumstance, what the government has done is unfair.

Last edited:
It’s crazy that they are allowed to get away with this. I was just reading an article on how the cancellation of the cap-and-trade program is going to impact Ontario. We are going to lose a lot of money. This government is a disaster and I shudder to think what other damage they will do in the coming 4 years. by the way, Doug reminds me of Trump... no kidding!

Here is a possible idea:
Tesla is a registered dealer in Ontario, a MFG owned dealer instead of franchiser.

Tesla turns all current orders into CPO, they would have ordered from the mfg before July as something would have started on their side to ready for production. This way, we all buy from Tesla, the dealer and quality under the dealer grace period.

Here is a possible idea:
Tesla is a registered dealer in Ontario, a MFG owned dealer instead of franchiser.

Tesla turns all current orders into CPO, they would have ordered from the mfg before July as something would have started on their side to ready for production. This way, we all buy from Tesla, the dealer and quality under the dealer grace period.

CPO = Certified Pre Owned = Used. The rebate does not apply to used. Train of thought is correct but logistically flawed.

Dude if your can’t afford 50+ for a car on your own merit that sucks and I wish your life was different. The incentive wasn’t for those that can’t afford a car. It was to go green. Many vehicles on the list were pushing high numbers, well above the 25k all in econobox price.

What I meant was simply this: you can’t have two wind down practices. One for car makers you like and one for ones you don’t. That is not fair. Everyone but Tesla qualifies until sept except Tesla. Why?

I’m qualified already and I have no skin in the game. I do know the difference between fair and unfair. In this circumstance, what the government has done is unfair.

Really? This is the first time I've heard it was only applied to Tesla, in which case I absolutely agree with you. They probably looked at the volume of cars Tesla potentially has coming in, figured out how much it was going to cost and made the decision. I do understand that those who have ordered prior to the announcement did so with an understanding that the incentive would be there. If Ford is going to stop it, it should be wound down fairly - which in this case it isn't.

6 or so months ago, Ontario's liberal govt changed EVIP rule without notice setting the eligibility cap to $77k, thus excluding the base model s and X. Gov'ts of all political leanings help their friends.

Not the same situation. The $75k cap introduced March 9 affected S/X, all Porsches, and a bunch of high end BMWs and MBs. Probably others too. So a bunch of car makers were impacted but ALL orders in place prior to March 9 were grandfathered, including Tesla.

In the current winding down period, the terms allow for all car orders EXCEPT for Teslas to be grandfathered for the rebate.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
Not the same situation. The $75k cap introduced March 9 affected S/X, all Porsches, and a bunch of high end BMWs and MBs. Probably others too. So a bunch of car makers were impacted but ALL orders in place prior to March 9 were grandfathered, including Tesla.

In the current winding down period, the terms allow for all car orders EXCEPT for Teslas to be grandfathered for the rebate.

So, are these grandfathered x and s stil elligble for the rebate? Since their lead time is short, presumably there aren't any that orders before March 9 and didn't get delivered by July 11...but I think that exception allowed them to get the rebate up until September...so that would be messed if a model x delivered in August got the rebate, but a 3 delivered this weed did not....

Can someone spread the screen shot of tweets of the ford nation saying contracts before June 29 will be honoured?

A point mentioned in the CBC news segment was that some Tesla customer had tweet exchanges with Doug Ford and claimed that they were assured that they were Eligible if the car was purchased before a certain date. I'd be interested to see those exchanges if it did mention Tesla, and Doug's words on it...

Can anyone find these?

See page 95 of this thread. There are 2 posts there with relevant Tweets.

Reactions: adaptabl