Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reservation was 29 June, ordered 3 July.

RWD, Solid Black, Sport wheels, EAP. Went a lot faster than I expected. Like I said in an earlier post, I’m wondering if I got a cancellation of something. The VIN is in the 31000’s, but no idea if that’s around what’s being given right now or what.

Here is hoping it was that quick for others, but likely a cancellation. Still hoping the AWD start getting delivered soon as that's what I'm waiting for ;)

Reactions: PAWilson
Here is hoping it was that quick for others, but likely a cancellation. Still hoping the AWD start getting delivered soon as that's what I'm waiting for ;)
He seemed to think there were bunch dropped off at the Toronto lot so hopefully everyone starts getting calls. I’m sure the AWD is on the way. I rolled the dice and figured best chance for the rebate was RWD, oh well....

That’s what I’m guessing. I did got a call from my SA the same week I ordered saying August, and that was before cancellations would have been rolling in, so who knows. I can ask the SA, but not sure if he’d be able to tell me.

Wow, that is VERY quick. I actually reserved March 12 of this year, ordered June 27th...midnight silver, aero wheels, no autopilot type features. Still no call and no SA assigned.

In any event, given all of the above, I think I've waited long enough. Time to cancel. I think the sun has set on the rebate.

...unless you guys want to crowd-fund me to the tune of $14k?

Also, as a point of interest - I started entertaining the idea of buying a Model S second-hand from the US, so I looked into the legalities of it and guess what! the Model S and Model X are NOT allowed for import. Apparently Tesla says it would take too much work to retrofit them for the Canadian market and so no service centres are equipped to do it...

That's what I said quite a while back but took some disagreement on...but the way I hear it was that it isn't on the "list" and Tesla has no motivation to get it on that "list". Just what I've heard. Didn't research it out further.

Problem with CPO's in Ontario is they are mostly all bought up by used car dealer otherwise I'd also be considering this in lieu of no rebates.

That's what I said quite a while back but took some disagreement on...but the way I hear it was that it isn't on the "list" and Tesla has no motivation to get it on that "list". Just what I've heard. Didn't research it out further.

Problem with CPO's in Ontario is they are mostly all bought up by used car dealer otherwise I'd also be considering this in lieu of no rebates.
Well, it looks like there are a lot in Quebec. That's one border across you can import it

So I finally got some email responses back. I emailed Ford and Minister of Transport and cc’d my MPP and made sure everyone knew they never responded to my follow up of the canned response.

Not sure if it matters but this was the response from MoT.

“Thank you for your email addressed to the Honourable John Yakabuski, Minister of Transportation. Your email is important to us. It has been forwarded to the appropriate ministry office for review.

Thank you for bringing your concerns to the attention of the ministry”

Local MPP’s office stated that they have “forwarded my concerns”.

Same here

I don't believe we're asking anyone to feel sorry for us. Fair is fair - the Cap and Trade program "filled" a bank account somewhere. That money was to go towards paying out this incentive. I believe the incentive should continue to be paid out until that fund or "bank account" has been depleted.

Corporations paid a carbon tax to aid in the proliferation of electric vehicles whether they wanted to or not. Ford is taking the money from this fund and using it to lower gas prices which incentivizes the burning of fossil fuels. It's literally the exact opposite of what the money within this fund was supposed to be put towards.

This is my opinion.

Suggest a little google time...
Legal opinions I've read say that in fact, much of the $ in that fund or "bank account" was actually for future credits beyond this year, and as DF and the dream team have cancelled the program will not be usable by the purchasers. That means that the Ontario government, or more correctly the Taxpayers will have to buy them back from the corporations they sold them to.
You are all going to be on the hook for BBBillions of $$ going back to the corps that bought the Cap and Trade credits from Ontario. The money has been spent by the government before it was actually earned, what a shock.
Here's a link to read...
Government of Ontario Officially Ends Cap and Trade
Seems likely the "account" has long since been over depleted.
Happy to not be an Ontario tax payer any more.

• Informative
Reactions: ZsoZso and BKR1986
Unfortunately, we have traded one evil (Wynne) for another (Ford) in an attempt to right the ship.

Other googling reveals how the cap and trade funds were to be spent. 140-170M on the EHVIP program IIRC. Future dates were definitely involved though but theoretically the cap and trade money would keep coming in as well.

When the Provincial debt is higher than any other state or province in North America, I don't see how you determine the "account" has long since been over depleted. It's all "just" debt at the end of the day.

My read (not an accountant) is that the funds would have been distributed unless the program was cancelled. If the liberals were re-elected, I'm sure the EHVIP program would have continued.

Ontario has a lot going on...there's a lot to manage and unfortunately it's been managed extremely poorly. No fault of the PC's but I fear they are more a dictatorship than adhering to any semblance of democracy. They have taken liberties that are just wrong and we will have a long memory of their actions.

Personally, and because I have little choice, I'm waiting it out and if it's as bad as I imagine over their reign, I will strongly be considering a move far far away.

• Informative
Reactions: BKR1986
Well, it looks like there are a lot in Quebec. That's one border across you can import it

I can't seem to search for CPO in Quebec on the tesla website. If I input the postal code for Montreal for example it says it is invalid, which I previously thought meant there were no cpos available for sale there.

Are you referring to listings on auto trader?

Also, does a CPO from tesla come with a new warranty (ie, an additional 80k km on top of whatever it was bought with) or is it just the extension of the original warranty to the new buyer?

For example, there is a 2014 with 30k km. If it was purchased CPO in 2018, is it covered until 2022 and 130k km?

Unfortunately, we have traded one evil (Wynne) for another (Ford) in an attempt to right the ship.

Other googling reveals how the cap and trade funds were to be spent. 140-170M on the EHVIP program IIRC. Future dates were definitely involved though but theoretically the cap and trade money would keep coming in as well.

When the Provincial debt is higher than any other state or province in North America, I don't see how you determine the "account" has long since been over depleted. It's all "just" debt at the end of the day.

My read (not an accountant) is that the funds would have been distributed unless the program was cancelled. If the liberals were re-elected, I'm sure the EHVIP program would have continued.

Ontario has a lot going on...there's a lot to manage and unfortunately it's been managed extremely poorly. No fault of the PC's but I fear they are more a dictatorship than adhering to any semblance of democracy. They have taken liberties that are just wrong and we will have a long memory of their actions.

Personally, and because I have little choice, I'm waiting it out and if it's as bad as I imagine over their reign, I will strongly be considering a move far far away.
I don't think you need to move. Karma has bookmarked a page for evil politicians in Toronto. It's handy they have the same last name.

Reactions: RossK
Reservation was 29 June, ordered 3 July.

RWD, Solid Black, Sport wheels, EAP. Went a lot faster than I expected. Like I said in an earlier post, I’m wondering if I got a cancellation of something. The VIN is in the 31000’s, but no idea if that’s around what’s being given right now or what.

Wow dude. I ordered similar and I reserved day one. No idea what their priority schedule is but congrats and enjoy!

Very likely due to location. I wonder if they are pushing more cars to Ontario just in case things change and they want to delivery before Sept. 10th.

If anything it's more likely a cancellation, or they are sending cars up here asap so that people don't start canceling. If I were on the fence and about to cancel, knowing I could get the car in a week vs 3 months may convince me to keep my order...

I thought it was worth a shot writing to Consumer Ontario as they regulate the Consumers Protection Act. I've drafted a message below but it has to be sent through their website (https://www.ontario.ca/feedback/contact-us?id=26911&nid=101484). Feel free to copy and paste and forward it them.

Recently the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) cancelled the Electric Vehicle Charging Incentive Program. I am writing this email as a consumer to file a complaint against the Ministry of Transportation because in the MANNER in which it is being cancelled. I believe it discriminates against a group of buyers and gives no consideration to the consumer i.e. Tesla Model 3 purchasers. A number of consumers placed a deposit on the Tesla Model 3 car because of an approved rebate on the Ministry’s website BEFORE it was cancelled. In addition, the public was assured by Doug Ford the wind down of the program would be conducted in an orderly fashion.

As per MTO’s announcement below, please note Tesla is the only company impacted because the MTO considers them to be a manufacturer even though they are a registered dealer in Ontario. It is ironic that the government of Ontario provides protection to consumers of Ontario but the government of Ontario violated the Consumers Protection Act!

On July 11th, Premier Ford’s team announced the immediate cancellation of the program. The only way to still qualify for the rebate would be if one satisfied one of the following two conditions:

• Eligible vehicles that have been delivered to consumers, registered, and plated on or before July 11 will receive the incentive.
  • Inventory that dealers have on lots or orders made by dealerships with manufacturers on or before July 11, will also be honoured for the incentive provided that the vehicle is delivered to consumers, registered, and plated by September 10.
I believe this was done specifically to target Tesla buyers as orders are placed directly with Tesla (the manufacturer), especially as Premier Ford has referred to Tesla owners as ‘downtown liberals’ and ‘millionaires’. This is simply not true. The only Tesla that is currently on the list of approved vehicles (i.e. the Model 3) is aimed at middle class Ontarians. After the rebate, gas savings, and savings on maintenance, the pricing of the Model 3 is in-line with non-luxury brands, such as Honda, Toyota, and GM. For most of us, the rebate is the difference between affordability and non-affordability. I placed the order of this car in good faith, placing a $4,200 non-refundable deposit. I now face a no-win scenario; either cancel our orders and lose $4,200, or commit to buying a car that I can no longer afford.

As a consumer, I am requesting that Consumers Ontario look into this matter and request I be provided the same consideration as every other purchaser of an electrical vehicle under the rebate program (those who did not purchase a Tesla) and that the Ministry of Transportation honour those orders that were placed prior to July 11th providing the vehicle is delivered, registered, and plated by September 10th. As it stands, only consumers who bought the Model 3 are being impacted.

I look forward to your response.

Sincerely