Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d suggest you do apply. Without being denied in writing you don’t have a claim. Whether it would be successful or not is another story, but to claim you were treated unfairly and misled you need to apply and be told you’re sol.
The forms don’t seem to be available on the website anymore. I’m sure they’re on the web somewhere though.

Reactions: adaptabl
I thought it was worth a shot writing to Consumer Ontario as they regulate the Consumers Protection Act. I've drafted a message below but it has to be sent through their website (https://www.ontario.ca/feedback/contact-us?id=26911&nid=101484). Feel free to copy and paste and forward it them.

Recently the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) cancelled the Electric Vehicle Charging Incentive Program. I am writing this email as a consumer to file a complaint against the Ministry of Transportation because in the MANNER in which it is being cancelled. I believe it discriminates against a group of buyers and gives no consideration to the consumer i.e. Tesla Model 3 purchasers. A number of consumers placed a deposit on the Tesla Model 3 car because of an approved rebate on the Ministry’s website BEFORE it was cancelled. In addition, the public was assured by Doug Ford the wind down of the program would be conducted in an orderly fashion.

As per MTO’s announcement below, please note Tesla is the only company impacted because the MTO considers them to be a manufacturer even though they are a registered dealer in Ontario. It is ironic that the government of Ontario provides protection to consumers of Ontario but the government of Ontario violated the Consumers Protection Act!

On July 11th, Premier Ford’s team announced the immediate cancellation of the program. The only way to still qualify for the rebate would be if one satisfied one of the following two conditions:

• Eligible vehicles that have been delivered to consumers, registered, and plated on or before July 11 will receive the incentive.
  • Inventory that dealers have on lots or orders made by dealerships with manufacturers on or before July 11, will also be honoured for the incentive provided that the vehicle is delivered to consumers, registered, and plated by September 10.
I believe this was done specifically to target Tesla buyers as orders are placed directly with Tesla (the manufacturer), especially as Premier Ford has referred to Tesla owners as ‘downtown liberals’ and ‘millionaires’. This is simply not true. The only Tesla that is currently on the list of approved vehicles (i.e. the Model 3) is aimed at middle class Ontarians. After the rebate, gas savings, and savings on maintenance, the pricing of the Model 3 is in-line with non-luxury brands, such as Honda, Toyota, and GM. For most of us, the rebate is the difference between affordability and non-affordability. I placed the order of this car in good faith, placing a $4,200 non-refundable deposit. I now face a no-win scenario; either cancel our orders and lose $4,200, or commit to buying a car that I can no longer afford.

As a consumer, I am requesting that Consumers Ontario look into this matter and request I be provided the same consideration as every other purchaser of an electrical vehicle under the rebate program (those who did not purchase a Tesla) and that the Ministry of Transportation honour those orders that were placed prior to July 11th providing the vehicle is delivered, registered, and plated by September 10th. As it stands, only consumers who bought the Model 3 are being impacted.

I look forward to your response.

Sincerely
Should we consider file a complaint to Ontario Ombudsman, they oversees all Ministry of the Ontario government.
They investigate unfairness, maladministration etc. Example: Broken promises, Failure to provide information, Misleading or inaccurate statements, Inadequate consultation, Disparity in treatment, unfairness, Error, wrong advice/decision

If there is enough people file the complaint, they can make it as a urgent case.
Make a Complaint - Ontario Ombudsman

Just finished cancelling as I cannot afford the car without the promised rebate.

Reservation placed April 2017.
Invited to order April 2018. (Delayed order to see if AWD would be added to EV rebate list.)
Ordered RWD June 2018.

Called Tesla; hold time 38 minutes.

Confirmed that if there's a VIN assigned, they will not cancel your order.
Confirmed Tesla isn't offering any incentive to keep Ontario orders.
Confirmed a refund will be a check in the mail, mailed within 2 to 3 months.

Confirmed I am feeling sad.

You get an email asking to confirm your cancellation and a the reason for the cancellation:

Reason for Cancellation (Please choose at least one reason):
1. My in-store experience was lacking
2. I'm not sure an electric vehicle is right for me
3. I'm unsure about charging
4. Pricing
5. I'm buying another car
6. Other

I am going to answer 6. Other : Premier of Ontario is a scum bag.

I'll still be pulling for everyone who isn't cancelling to somehow get the rebate. Good luck!

Yes, I took your email and changed it so it reads from a consumer. Thank you.
Hey - all the power to you! I think it’s a great idea and I’m happy to help.

But I think the wordin needs to be revisited in regards to EVCIP vs EHVIP.

Also - as an FYI - I got the following response when I sent it:

Thank you for contacting Consumer Protection Ontario at the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services.

We confirm receipt of your inquiry and have reviewed the incoming communication.
We cannot take action at this time for the following reason(s):

§ The matter falls outside the jurisdiction of the ministry’s consumer protection laws.

The Ombudsman is an independent officer of the Legislature who investigates complaints from the public about Ontario government services. You may wish to contact Ombudsman Ontario at:

Ombudsman Ontario

483 Bay Street, 10th Floor, South Tower

Toronto ON M5G 2C9

Telephone: 1-800-263-1830

Fax: 416-586-3485

Email: [email protected]

If you choose to pursue this matter in court, contact the Ministry of the Attorney General at 1-800-518-7901 or visit their website at ontario.ca/courts.

If you are interested in exploring remedies in the civil courts, you may wish to consult with a lawyer. If you do not have a lawyer, visit the Law Society Referral Service online at findlegalhelp.ca to search for a lawyer who is willing to provide a consultation. For those unable to use the online service, a crisis line is available at 1-855-947-5255 or 416-947-5255 Monday to Friday, from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Consumer Protection Ontario

Ministry of Government and Consumer Services

77 Wellesley Street West, Box 450, Toronto, ON M7A 2J6

P: 416-326-8800 Toll Free: 1-800-889-9768 Fax: 416-326-8665

TTY: 416-229-6086 TTY Toll Free: 1-877-666-6545

Visit us: www.ontario.ca/consumerprotection

• Informative
Reactions: PAWilson
Just finished cancelling as I cannot afford the car without the promised rebate.

Invited to order April 2018. (Delayed order to see if AWD would be added to EV rebate list.)
Ordered June 2018.

You get an email asking to confirm your cancellation and a the reason for the cancellation:

4. Pricing
6. Other

I'll still be pulling for everyone who isn't cancelling to somehow get the rebate. Good luck!

DITTO

Though when I called last Friday, I was told to use #6 and reference that I was part of the group who's ability to obtain a rebate was cancelled.

Was told 30-60 days.

• Informative
Reactions: PAWilson
So I ordered the RWD on June 14 but somehow the configuration page got stuck on the ID picture submission section. I was told by Tesla rep that it didn't matter as they had all the information and at the time had a 4-8 weeks delivery.

Fast forward to July 12 after I saw the EV cancellation, I call back Tesla and make them resolve the configuration page issue to their credit they did (note between June 14 and July 12 I've had multiple calls with them, but there was a period that their phone # was down so I gave up calling and just emailed with nothing really happening). However once that was resolved, I noticed my delivery date change to 1-3 months, and here's me hoping that this sucker gets in before Sept 10th.

Questions.
1. If the car comes in and gets plated before Sept 10, does it qualify for the rebate if I submit it in? I ordered June 14, however the configuration page did not get resolved and final submission of my task until July 12.
2. If I cancel, will I get my $4200 deposit back?

Thanks All!

So I ordered the RWD on June 14 but somehow the configuration page got stuck on the ID picture submission section. I was told by Tesla rep that it didn't matter as they had all the information and at the time had a 4-8 weeks delivery.

Fast forward to July 12 after I saw the EV cancellation, I call back Tesla and make them resolve the configuration page issue to their credit they did (note between June 14 and July 12 I've had multiple calls with them, but there was a period that their phone # was down so I gave up calling and just emailed with nothing really happening). However once that was resolved, I noticed my delivery date change to 1-3 months, and here's me hoping that this sucker gets in before Sept 10th.

Questions.
1. If the car comes in and gets plated before Sept 10, does it qualify for the rebate if I submit it in? I ordered June 14, however the configuration page did not get resolved and final submission of my task until July 12.
2. If I cancel, will I get my $4200 deposit back?

Thanks All!
as per information from this thread:
1. No
2. Yes

Reactions: McFlurri
If anything it's more likely a cancellation, or they are sending cars up here asap so that people don't start canceling. If I were on the fence and about to cancel, knowing I could get the car in a week vs 3 months may convince me to keep my order...
Tough to say, Tesla has so many orders don't think they are that bothered with cancell
If you’ve got a 30 km commute, you’ll save that $200 in monthly payments just on the gas savings.
I have a round trip commute of 60km per day. My per month costs are $60 in power vs $400 in gas that I used to spend.
Just FYI.

Totally. I went from nearly 500 in gas with my Ford Escape to 50 or so a month in electric with my Leaf. A used Leaf is a great option for those that cannot afford a 64K car. A great used Leaf is under 20K. Nearly the price of the rebate.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck

Ordered RWD June 2018.

4. Pricing
6. Other

I'm so sorry. We are still struggling whether to go ahead or not. But our VW need expensive work done again. So we are going to need another car. Now it's deciding which route to go.

This sucks. I'm under the impression that we qualify for the rebate given our order is in mid transaction and happened before July 11. I already have the stupid Tesla wall charger sitting at home, I just did not install it yet. $14,000 is HUGE. Anyone call the EV number to verify?

I'm going to give them a call and see, otherwise if they don't I will most likely cancel, so unfair though!

Reactions: adaptabl
This sucks. I'm under the impression that we qualify for the rebate given our order is in mid transaction and happened before July 11. I already have the stupid Tesla wall charger sitting at home, I just did not install it yet. $14,000 is HUGE. Anyone call the EV number to verify?

I'm going to give them a call and see, otherwise if they don't I will most likely cancel, so unfair though!

Unfortunately this is all true and yes, we are getting screwed. I am in the exact same boat as you except I already installed the charger which by the way doesnt get a rebate now either (unless you have a car that qualifies already). Same dates, ect.. You should spend your time calling/emailing various groups - your local MPP, all PC MPPs, the MOT, MOF, Ontario Ombudsman, ect..

Ordered RWD June 2018.

4. Pricing
6. Other

Anyone else find this a bit disappointing from Tesla? I’m a big Tesla fan boy but they are complete radio silent on Ontario and have done nothing

And then if you do want your money back 2-3 months?? On top of the month or years they’ve already had some of it. They can take your money instantly but take months to give it back to you!

Still no AWDs being shipped that I know of. Later orderers picking RWD are still priority / coming off GA2. The only GA3 cars we know of are the 100 Performance models going to showrooms, right?

We have no idea what cars are made where, other than the single performance model that Elon tweeted coming off of GA4. (Not to mention that Tesla has only mentioned GA3 and GA4, we have no idea what is happening with GA2.)

Those are toys not practical vehicles, if you can’t drive from Toronto to Ottawa on a full charge then you aren’t competing with every ICE vehicle on the market. Those vehicles are meant to get you to work and back and charge every night, to me anything less then 425-450 in range would really make me question the practicality of the car.

I was really looking forward to the gas savings and the enjoyment of driving a Tesla, just not sure I can pull the trigger at 65K.

Hmmm, so by that logic a standard range model 3 is also unusable, as are the tesla model s 60, and s70 (since they dont meet your criteria of 425-450km of range)?

Also, who needs to drive from Toronto to Ottawa on a consistent basis? If that's you, then yeah an EV may be not what you want. 90% of people's daily use of cars is to drive < 100km, so you can hardly call a Bolt (with more range than the SR model 3) a 'toy' and impractical. If you want to talk about practicality, then you want a volt. 1/2 the price of the LR model 3, and for 90%+ of typical driving you are all electric. I've owned 2 volts over the past 5 years, and racked up over 100,000 km between the two of them, and maybe only used the ICE for 5,000km combined....and that's with 70-100km of range.

Now, I'm not saying this because I'm hating on the model 3, I'm trading up my volt for one because I do love the car, but to think that the model 3 is the only important EV is a bit short sighted......maybe I'm a bit salty of your dismissive tone calling the other cars 'toys'...one could easily argue that the model 3 is the 'toy' because much of the desire is the speed and sexiness of the car. I stand by the fact that if you are really into EVs for the environment and to have the most cost effective, than the Leaf is probably your best bet...especially since the 2019 will have a 60kwh pack according to latest reports.

That's just me playing devil's advocate...there ARE other EV options out there that are completely useable, acting like Tesla's are the centre of the EV universe and the only EV 'worth' having is part of the elitism people hate on Tesla for, and likely a large reason why the public doesn't care about Ford cancelling the rebates.