Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys/gals,
I called the minister of transportation, John Yakabuski and got his assistant today.
I explained the situation to her, and how it was unfair from a consumer perspective to allow rebates to other EV's but not Tesla's.

She seemed unaware of the situation (which concerned me), but she agreed that I had a point. I asked if the minister was considering changing his mind, out of fairness, and allowing the rebate for Tesla purchases until sept 11.

She said that she is away next week, and would not let this question linger. Tomorrow afternoon she said she would have an answer for me directly from the minister.

I will update the group as to what she says. So before anyone cancels for good, lets hope that consumer fairness prevails and they adjust their stance accordingly.

It's a slender thread of hope, but I'll grasp at it. Please do let us know tonight what she says...if she ever does get back to you.

Otherwise I've got my cancellation form filled out, ready to send... :(

Reactions: deltav
not sure if you guys seen this but I hope something comes out of this Model 3 Owners Club on Twitter . Hopefully the cap and trade cancellation can be delayed?

Yes, this is an awesome development. The Canadian Environmental Law Association has filed an application for review.

REASONS FOR REQUESTED REVIEW

The Applicants submit that O.Reg. 386/18 (“the Regulation”) should be immediately reviewed and revoked on the grounds that:

1. The Regulation was not subject to public notice and comment under the EBR and the Minister did not consider the public’s comments prior to its passage, which is in direct contravention of the mandatory duties imposed under Part II of the EBR in
relation to public participation.

2. As a matter of law, the Minister’s decision not to post the Regulation on the Environmental Registry for public comment
cannot be justified under any of the statutory exceptions to public participation under the EBR.

3. The Regulation’s immediate termination of the province’s cap - and - trade program is contrary to the public interest and
may cause or contribute to significant harm to the environment and human health and safety, particularly since the provincial
government has not announced any alternative programs that will be undertaken in order to reduce greenhouse gas emissions
and transition Ontario to a resilient low - carbon economy.

Called the ombudsman’s office this morning.

Spent about 20 min on phone and they have the complete story. They will get back to me early next week with an answer. They understand our plight. I suggest calling with your story. Please make sure to reiterate your non refundable contract with Tesla. Tesla was on the eligible list prior to it ending on July 11. All other manufacturers are being accommodated. Prior to July 11 the MTO website did not say I had to purchase through a dealership to be eligible.

Think of this as middleman that will give us a direct voice.

Good luck

Hasn't Tesla agreed to refund the order amount? If so, then it would not be truthful to say its non refundable! I would be absolutely pristine in terms of the facts presented to the ombudsman if we expect him/her to fight on our behalf.
Currently I have a non refundable contract with Tesla. What they have said verbally is something else. People, companies, Government can always go back on verbal commitment. What’s in writing is binding.

Also, they do not fight on our behalf. They act like a direct communicator to tell us what recourse we may have. But in doing so they are speaking on our behalf to get an answer. Once they get an answer they then give you directions if you want to take it further(legal action)

Keep the fight going

Reactions: Ludatik
not sure if you guys seen this but I hope something comes out of this Model 3 Owners Club on Twitter . Hopefully the cap and trade cancellation can be delayed?

I'm unfamiliar with the Canadian Environmental Law Association (CELA). How much clout do they really have? I understand their argument but wondering if there is any teeth to this Application to Review. Also, in the slim chance a public review period is granted for ending Cap-and-Trade, does that necessarily mean that EHVIP will be reinstated during that period? I'm not terribly confident.

Yes, this is an awesome development. The Canadian Environmental Law Association has filed an application for review.

REASONS FOR REQUESTED REVIEW

The Applicants submit that O.Reg. 386/18 (“the Regulation”) should be immediately reviewed and revoked on the grounds that:

1. The Regulation was not subject to public notice and comment under the EBR and the Minister did not consider the public’s comments prior to its passage, which is in direct contravention of the mandatory duties imposed under Part II of the EBR in
relation to public participation.

2. As a matter of law, the Minister’s decision not to post the Regulation on the Environmental Registry for public comment
cannot be justified under any of the statutory exceptions to public participation under the EBR.

3. The Regulation’s immediate termination of the province’s cap - and - trade program is contrary to the public interest and
may cause or contribute to significant harm to the environment and human health and safety, particularly since the provincial
government has not announced any alternative programs that will be undertaken in order to reduce greenhouse gas emissions
and transition Ontario to a resilient low - carbon economy.
Thank you for this. I called the Ombudsman and filed a written complaint and sent them a copy of the document from the Canadian Environmental Law Association.

Called the ombudsman’s office this morning.

Spent about 20 min on phone and they have the complete story. They will get back to me early next week with an answer. They understand our plight. I suggest calling with your story. Please make sure to reiterate your non refundable contract with Tesla. Tesla was on the eligible list prior to it ending on July 11. All other manufacturers are being accommodated. Prior to July 11 the MTO website did not say I had to purchase through a dealership to be eligible.

Think of this as middleman that will give us a direct voice.

Good luck

I called the Ombudsman's office just now. Person taking the call said they had already opened a file for me based on email sent days ago. I got forwarded to the person handling my file but had to leave a voicemail. Hopefully I'll get a call back today.

• Informative
Reactions: PAWilson
I called the Ombudsman's office just now. Person taking the call said they had already opened a file for me based on email sent days ago. I got forwarded to the person handling my file but had to leave a voicemail. Hopefully I'll get a call back today.

As a specialty clinic within Legal Aid Ontario, CELA helps those who otherwise lack the resources to mount a legal challenge to pollution or environmental harm.

Staff

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl