Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well as someone who painfully had to cancel due to Tesla giving me no choice (pick up the vehicle today or cancel). I would love to be given a second chance.

I wish you the best but it likely won't happen. If a court rules in favour of Tesla it will likely entice the government to simply change the rules again but be inclusive of Tesla. This is the path of least resistance. It's possible that the pressure from a court case would be bad optics for the Ontario PC and they may quietly settle and just make the adjustment and move on.

Unfortunately that would likely mean no recourse if you've cancelled. They are not going to create a convoluted set of rules for people who have cancelled and now want the car. This is just my opinion.

We have no info from Tesla on what their plans are - what their timelines are - and how this would work if they won a lawsuit.
We are 2.5 weeks from Sept 10
Seems very unlikely to prevent any cancellations on Tesla's part unless they let potential owners (who have ordered before July 11th and still have not cancelled) know what is going on
the only way I see Tesla coming out ahead is if they win and they re-instate all the sales that we cancelled after July 11 announcement retroactively...

As much as I appreciate Tesla for standing up for their customers and launching the lawsuit, I think Tesla definitely dropped the ball on the missed deliveries to Canada. Complete lack of communication regarding specific delivery timeline. Also they were late making AWD available in Canada and late to submit it to be included on the list when the Libs were still around. So, even in the small chance that the court rules in favour of Tesla, many customers will still loose out because Tesla was too late delivering :(

I don't understand why Tesla could not accelerate deliveries to Canada knowing the situation.

I still think it would be Tesla's best interest to entice customers (those who have cancelled or those who are on the fence and waiting) to continue with their order (or re-order) with including EAP/FSP as a one-time promotion.

I wish you the best but it likely won't happen. If a court rules in favour of Tesla it will likely entice the government to simply change the rules again but be inclusive of Tesla. This is the path of least resistance. It's possible that the pressure from a court case would be bad optics for the Ontario PC and they may quietly settle and just make the adjustment and move on.

Unfortunately that would likely mean no recourse if you've cancelled. They are not going to create a convoluted set of rules for people who have cancelled and now want the car. This is just my opinion.

Yeah, I unfortunately have to agree with this. The motivation for the govt is mainly to save the cost of the 14k/car as well as rile the base against the 'millionaires'. If they do lose the court case, they will make it as difficult as possible to lock out any canceled orders from getting re instated. They've shown their true colours....

My feeling all along is that the PCs know they don’t have a leg to stand on, so, they’ve been dragging their feet in responding to inquiries from Tesla, the Ombudsman, etc..

The PCs know that, if they drag this on for as long as possible, a) anyone who might not be able to afford the car will have to cancel and b) Tesla will struggle to get the cars to those of us who don’t before September 10, saving the PCs tens of millions of dollars in the process.

The real irony is that they’ll be proven right in the end - the only people who’ll get the car will be those wealthy enough to afford it without the rebate.

My feeling all along is that the PCs know they don’t have a leg to stand on, so, they’ve been dragging their feet in responding to inquiries from Tesla, the Ombudsman, etc..

The PCs know that, if they drag this on for as long as possible, a) anyone who might not be able to afford the car will have to cancel and b) Tesla will struggle to get the cars to those of us who don’t before September 10, saving the PCs tens of millions of dollars in the process.

The real irony is that they’ll be proven right in the end - the only people who’ll get the car will be those wealthy enough to afford it without the rebate.

Couldn't agree more.

I ordered my RWD in Pearl white Model 3 on June 21st with a 4-8 week delivery promise.I still have the original screen-shots to prove it. I've also confirmed numerous times in July just in case and was told to expect a 4-8 week delivery.

As of today, its been 8 weeks and no VIN assigned, calling Tesla this morning was fruitless. Moreover, they are now telling me there will be a penalty for cancellation once the VIN has been assigned.

Basically what happened is that, on or around June 24, Tesla opened up ordering to pretty much everyone, which pushed the delivery window from 4-8 weeks to 3-5 months. You and I got caught in the change. On one hand, it sucks that that happened - I really wanted my car by now. On the other hand, for me personally, getting my wife on board with this expense, especially in light of the uncertainty of the rebate, has been a long, difficult, and possibly fruitless task. We still might end up cancelling. The longer delivery takes, the more likely it seems to be that we'll order... assuming there is any kind of good news about a rebate.

Reactions: Iggy663
As much as I appreciate Tesla for standing up for their customers and launching the lawsuit, I think Tesla definitely dropped the ball on the missed deliveries to Canada. Complete lack of communication regarding specific delivery timeline. Also they were late making AWD available in Canada and late to submit it to be included on the list when the Libs were still around. So, even in the small chance that the court rules in favour of Tesla, many customers will still loose out because Tesla was too late delivering :(

I don't understand why Tesla could not accelerate deliveries to Canada knowing the situation.

I still think it would be Tesla's best interest to entice customers (those who have cancelled or those who are on the fence and waiting) to continue with their order (or re-order) with including EAP/FSP as a one-time promotion.

You're wrong on so many levels here.

1. Tesla DID accelerate deliveries into Ontario. There were a massive number of cars shipped starting in late May, right up till Ford cancelled the program. There were thousand of cars at the International Centre when I picked mine up.
2. The AWD wasn't shipping anywhere till after the program was cancelled. You can't simply say "they should have shipped it earlier", they were sort of busy lol....
3. Why would they try to add a new model to the eligible vehicles when they know the new gov't will be ditching the program? Further, they cannot add it I believe till its shipping.

I believe they would have needed to supply VIN's to get the AWD acceptance to the program started.

Tesla did apply for the AWD configuration, but they did so only a few weeks before the cancellation (look back earlier in this thread before it got merged when it was still speculating about the rebate cancellation). I remember reading someone called the ministry and got confirmation that the application for adding AWD was received, and since it took about 1-2 months for RWD to show up once Ontario started getting the rebates, speculation was that AWD would be added to the list in late July/early August....but then we know what happened there.....basically the program was cancelled in the middle of the approval process

Basically what happened is that, on or around June 24, Tesla opened up ordering to pretty much everyone, which pushed the delivery window from 4-8 weeks to 3-5 months. You and I got caught in the change. On one hand, it sucks that that happened - I really wanted my car by now. On the other hand, for me personally, getting my wife on board with this expense, especially in light of the uncertainty of the rebate, has been a long, difficult, and possibly fruitless task. We still might end up cancelling. The longer delivery takes, the more likely it seems to be that we'll order... assuming there is any kind of good news about a rebate.

Same here, I've been working pretty hard to convince my wife that the price is worth it without the incentive. Unfortunately I haven't been able to convince her for now. One the other hand, I would pay the extra $5k for the 2nd motor. But then I loose a chance of getting the incentive if and obviously the very big IF Tesla is successful against Doug.

I'd be pretty pissed to get the vehicle a few days or a week past Sept. 10.

The PC's were elected by the people of Ontario to make the rules and change them as they want. They could of just cancelled the program outright. They decided to help the dealers who were caught in the middle. Looks like they are well within law.

The PC's were elected by the people of Ontario to make the rules and change them as they want. They could of just cancelled the program outright. They decided to help the dealers who were caught in the middle. Looks like they are well within law.

Hi Adaptabl - I'm just wondering where you got your law degree? Or is this your non-professional, non-lawyer opinion?

What do you mean by be inclusive of Tesla? For future programs? This program is done. Do you mean for the people that chose to keep their cars anyways? A lawsuit would be pointless in this case because it will not do anything for their loss of sales. I guess it's a statement that Tesla will not be "bullied". Anyways, I'm not hopeful just my 2 cents which is also just a guess.

Lets do the math here. The PCs were elected by 40% of people in Ontario and somehow got a majority to piss off six out of ten people. The system is broken.

Hi Adaptabl - I'm just wondering where you got your law degree? Or is this your non-professional, non-lawyer opinion?

How to block someone on this forum:

Step 1: At the top of the webpage, click on the icon that represents your user profile. (Because I don't use an image at this point for my icon, mine looks like a white silhouette on a grey background)

Step 2: Select "Preferences." This will take you to a new page that has a User Profile Index on the left side of the screen.

Step 3: Three down from "Preferences," on the Index you will see the option to select People You Ignore. There, you can type in a name, such as Adaptabl - or just copy and paste it from my post here.

Step 4: Save your changes. You won't even see that he's posted something, nor will you see his comments if he is quoted by someone else. I'm disappointed to learn that it doesn't stop him from seeing your posts because that would be a hell of a setting, if we all ignored him and it appeared to him that people had just stopped posting. Oh well.