Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario Insurance Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s not just Ontario, here in NS my deductible is still zero, but my rate when up $400 a year, from $1400 to $1800.

Irritatingly, I haven’t gotten a better rate elsewhere yet so I might be stuck with them. -.-

The Tesla haters would automatically use confirmation bias and say that if you afford such a luxury car, you can afford the insurance even though they suffer the same fate as us when it comes to Ontario insurance companies :rolleyes:

The thing is that increasing insurance premiums hits everyone so it doesn't discriminate...from the Kia owner to Ferrari owner.

The part that should be shocking to every voter in this province is simply this... the government REQUIRES us to have auto insurance. It is against the law to not buy it. I think there are about 8 million drivers in Ontario right now, so the government has guaranteed insureres an 8 million strong, mandated stream of business.

In exchange, shouldn't insurers be required to report their profits? Like I said in a previous post, in September 2010, basic coverages for accident benefits were decimated and the trade off was suppose to be a 15% reductin in premiums... it never happened. Why???

I am a firm capitalist, so I have NO problem with the insurers making money. They should make money!!! They are in business to make money... but at this point in time, insurers are just exploiting this endless (legally guaranteed) source of income.

Reactions: shellderp
Insurance in Ontario is a terrible ripoff and yes, rates continue to rise even though coverages continue to decline.

In September 2010, statutory benefits which we a part of EVERYONES basic coverage were stripped away by the Liberal government with the promise of rate reductions of 15%. It never happened and although insurers are not required to report profits, a professor at York U. did a study on the subject and said that Ontario insurers were making billions.

Fast forward to June 2016 and there was a further erosion to coverage and again, no rate reductions for Ontarians.

Last month the Provincial Tories said they were restoring one small area of lost benefits from 2016 but my fear is that was agreed upon to let rates continue to go wild.

I am with TDMM and my rates continue to rise every year even though I am claim free, ticket free and accident free. I bundle my home, U of T discount, EV discount, winter tire discount and my rates continue to go up. I also have a 2 million umbrella policy and enhanced accident benefits.

In my experience, in terms of dealing with insurers, Co-Operators stands alone as the best company. Intact probably second. A mish mash of others in the middle and then you have the Holy Trinity of garbage; Aviva, Wawanesa and State Farm/Desjardins. I’d pay more with another company but would not use any of those 3.
Interesting for your use case. I'm quite similar and just switched to TDMM last weekend from State farm/Desjardins. Back in the day state farm was ok, the acquisition by Desjardins has been horrible IMO.

Back to my question for you: what is your current combined cost with TDMM? I'm at just over 3k for the year, that's 2 cars (both EV) with house, I also have the 2m blanket liability. 500 deductable on cars, 5 year replacement cost on both cars, and have the winter tires, U of The (go blues!) discount, perfect record discount, web discount applied.

I'm wondering what they might boost the rate to this year because I'm pretty sure they have some steep discounts to get me to switch and will make up some crap to raise them next year....so I'm already planning to shop around in a year.

Interesting for your use case. I'm quite similar and just switched to TDMM last weekend from State farm/Desjardins. Back in the day state farm was ok, the acquisition by Desjardins has been horrible IMO.

Back to my question for you: what is your current combined cost with TDMM? I'm at just over 3k for the year, that's 2 cars (both EV) with house, I also have the 2m blanket liability. 500 deductable on cars, 5 year replacement cost on both cars, and have the winter tires, U of The (go blues!) discount, perfect record discount, web discount applied.

I'm wondering what they might boost the rate to this year because I'm pretty sure they have some steep discounts to get me to switch and will make up some crap to raise them next year....so I'm already planning to shop around in a year.
I am at just a tad over $3,500 per year with 2 cars, home, 2 million umbrella and I purchased sewer backup for 50k in damage, caregiver benefit for my wife and maximum income replacement benefit for me.

The only positive way I see to moderate insurance rates and increases goes back to the basics. Buy the stock. Same with banks and their fees. Large cap, blue chip dividend payers. Then put it behind the wall. TFSA's or RRSP's.

Just got my Aviva Traders annual renewal effective mid-July:

$2m liability
$1m/$1m Optional medical/optional catastrophic
Full vehicle replacement cost
Disappearing deductible/driving record protector
All perils $500 deductible
$990/year

I’m outside the GTA. This is up about $150 from last year. $60 of the increase is for the full replacement cost. I usually keep that for 3 years. It starts getting expensive after that.

$1.5K for X100D for 1 driver/ car with $1M coverage included accident forgiveness, full replacement, grand tour solution, $250 - $500 deductible and various discounts. I found it was cheaper to have 2 separate policies for 2 cars w/ 2 drivers.

Resurrecting an old thread to say I ran the numbers for a Model Y out of curiosity. For pretty standard coverage with TD ($1M, $2k deductible, grand tour, alumni discount) for an address in Toronto (Leslieville), the quote came to $204 per month plus HST. Looks like I'll be riding an ebike for a while yet.

Resurrecting an old thread to say I ran the numbers for a Model Y out of curiosity. For pretty standard coverage with TD ($1M, $2k deductible, grand tour, alumni discount) for an address in Toronto (Leslieville), the quote came to $204 per month plus HST. Looks like I'll be riding an ebike for a while yet.

Mine is $112, grand tour, alumni, $500 ded, $1mil, accident forgiveness, 5 yr replacement. Though I'm in North Oakville so probably rated as farmland or something.

I’m in Mississauga and my insurance significantly increased over the last 3ish years of having my car from $120 month to $190 to $270. No tickets...no accidents. Apparently because of our proximity to Brampton, insurance just kept going up and now the deductible is also $5000. It’s seriously messed up.

Re-ran the exact scenario but for a PEI address in Charlottetown - $113.25 per month plus HST. 45% less.

Re-ran the scenario for a new Rav4 Hybrid - $163/mo + HST. The Model Y for me carries a 25% premium.

TDMM rates skyrocketed for a lot of people (me included) with no tickets or claims. My premiums for our two cars jumped $114/mth for no apparent reason. I found a better rate with CAA but the best deductible they offer on wife’s RX is $2k and she currently has $500.