Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D - NEW Seats Announced - Finally!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The option to choose tan or grey interior with the new black seats was supposed to be available at the end of last week. Had an email exchange with my sales person over the weekend; it's still coming. He wasn't sure what the cause of the delay was.

Sadly, center LATCH is long gone; my car built in April doesn't have them, either.
Well that's annoying. Seems weird to eliminate the safest position if the car is large enough to support it (and the S is). We carry four adults and the baby around with some regularity, and the adults in back appreciate not being smooshed together in adjacent seats, instead both able to play with the little one.

Well that's annoying. Seems weird to eliminate the safest position if the car is large enough to support it (and the S is). We carry four adults and the baby around with some regularity, and the adults in back appreciate not being smooshed together in adjacent seats, instead both able to play with the little one.
For those of us with three kids, that's really annoying.

I'm not sure I understand. What is?

The center position, when it existed I guess, uses one of the outboard latch positions. You can't fit three car seats back there anyway.

I can fit 3 Diono Radian RXTs in the back of my Subaru Sti so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get 3 into the D... has anyone tired this yet?

If I recall correctly the owners manual even had a diagram outlining three car seats in the back... the centre position used the seat belt though.

I can fit 3 Diono Radian RXTs in the back of my Subaru Sti so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get 3 into the D... has anyone tired this yet?

I believe the owners manual even had a diagram outlining three car seats in the back... the centre position used the seat belt though.

That's correct. We've seen pictures of 3 of a reduced-width car seat meant for subcompacts in the back of a Model S, but I haven't seen any others that I can think of. If it fits in an Imprezza, they should fit in the S.

To be clear, I was referring to LATCH here. When they existed there were only 5 LATCH anchors, so you couldn't fit 3. The center had to use the seat belt, as you noted.

Today is an exciting day, we finally got a closeup of the P85D seats. Many owners have been calling for more supportive and sportier seats and we agree. Tesla finally unveiled the updated design of their sport seat which will be found in P85D models. The timing is great as well because Unplugged Performance has also for the past months been developing a sports seat retrofit/trade in program of their own which is about to be debuted as well.

P85D Seat:

p85d_seat.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

From Tesla's website:

ms_stud_seat_qrlb.png
ms_stud_seat_qrlg.png
ms_stud_seat_qrlt.png

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the LATCH arrangement is for the new rear seats? I've called TESLA but noone seems to have an answer... anyone see anything at the unveil?

I know that someone had commented earlier that the newer builds had only 2 LATCH positions available (as opposed to the initial 3 different configs options (2 LATCH seats at any one time)). I guess worst comes to worst it would be either 3 seat belts used to secure the seats or MAYBE downgrade to the performance seats with the red piping...

One observation: They are simply called "Tesla's next generation seats", - not performance or sport or something other implying "option".
Could we hope that this, over time, will just replace the current seats?
Seems pretty likely. 10 different seat coverings over two different styles of seat is a lot, even among the luxury car segment. I'd guess they're just using up existing stock of the old seats while they get some testing time on the new ones once they hit owner's garages. I'm sure they'd like to get back to just having different coverings on one style of seat. And given they didn't go really aggressive, the new seats look like they'd apply just fine to a general audience.

I do like the new rear seats provide actual whiplash support for the rear passengers with those substantially larger headrests. The existing seats are pretty inadequate for adults. Probably kills what little rearward visibility we have, though.

Those look great. Can you tell if the actual leather is thicker, similar to what many of the German automakers use? It looks a bit nicer than the 'old' leather.

You can no longer see it, but when I ordered the P85D on 10/10 the new seats were listed in the short menu as "Nappa leather seats". Now they only mention next generation. I suspect though they have an upgraded leather

One observation: They are simply called "Tesla's next generation seats", - not performance or sport or something other implying "option".
Could we hope that this, over time, will just replace the current seats?

And will Tesla drop the surcharge for new vs. old seats and also offer textile color options? Is there a pattern emerging that every time an option is introduced that simply matches the competition that it comes with a price premium vs. the earlier version?