Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a P90DL. I thought I'd get more output but guess I'm being over optimistic. I didn't have max battery ready actually so guess that would've helped. How do we know when max battery power is ready now with this new ludicrous plus software update?

Didn't realize that but if it's a V1, then that does change the answer a little.

If you have a V1 battery, then your numbers are fantastic and you're doing better than most. The silicon added to the anode of the V1 battery's cells resulted in greatly accelerated degradation of range and power due to the rapidly rising IR. V1 batteries with medium miles can expected to have less range than a P85D with similar miles because of this and a little bit less power.

That said, I do seem to recall when the V1 fiasco broke that Tesla upgraded many of those to the newer 90 battery not long after it came out. Heck, even P85Ds are mostly being upgraded to V3 batteries getting a large performance boost.

The L+ button is not working on 2019.12.1.1 on mine nor other AP1 etc. There are other threads covering this Tesla mess if you weren't aware.

James

I wasn't aware of this. I was pleased with getting the update and now it turns out to be a a step backwards! I'll read up in the other threads. Annoying to not be able to use the max battery power setting to heat the battery in cold weather before a long trip where max range is needed.

Didn't realize that but if it's a V1, then that does change the answer a little.

If you have a V1 battery, then your numbers are fantastic and you're doing better than most. The silicon added to the anode of the V1 battery's cells resulted in greatly accelerated degradation of range and power due to the rapidly rising IR. V1 batteries with medium miles can expected to have less range than a P85D with similar miles because of this and a little bit less power.

That said, I do seem to recall when the V1 fiasco broke that Tesla upgraded many of those to the newer 90 battery not long after it came out. Heck, even P85Ds are mostly being upgraded to V3 batteries getting a large performance boost.
Yeah seems like for the pack I have I should be happy. Guess I just need it to go badly wrong and get a V3 replacement! Cam anyone tell me whether the V3's get a better supercharging rate? Max I've ever had is 96kw for a very short time

Are you saying the newer 90's have less silicon? and 100's?

Not at all. I'm just saying their first formulation where they added silicon to the carbon anode was not successful. I'd bet Jeff Dahn had something to do with the later revisions that are holding up much better. One of those secret sauce trace elements most likely.

Hard to believe they were shipping a "bad" chemistry for such a short time. Whatever degradation they saw from customer cars should have easily been seen in the lab before production.

That is the V3 battery. My P85D was also just replaced with the same battery. I’ve already logged and seen as high as 506kw. This was also on an 18* day. I plan to mess with it more when it is warmer. When it was first dropped off I was also seeing around 470 at 65% which is still quite a bit more than the old 85 numbers. I would also like to see a 10.x time slip some time this year.

an update

P85D which became P85DL just had a battery replacement

I received the battery : 1088790-00-A

I don't have any logging tools so all i had was the cars power meter, 65% SOC, 11c ambient temp (uk) and about 10 miles warmed. 25min remaining on max battery and the power meter was only just past 400... but i know SOC is lower than ideal and temp a factor.

Did i receive a good version of the 90 pack? And will it have 1600amp

Car is identifying as a P90DL now but still badged P85DL

Are my motors capable of hitting 500kW peak with a warm pack and ideal conditions?

Also i heard 90 packs are not the best, what should i need to be concerned about vs what i had before?

Eg
Charge rates, longevity, range loss, limited WOT

thank you

I'm curious, why couldn't they give you the 85 and then just add the pyrofuse and make it a P85DL? Is it just not possible to do that anymore?

And how difficult is the battery swap? Something very complicated I take it?

I'm curious, why couldn't they give you the 85 and then just add the pyrofuse and make it a P85DL? Is it just not possible to do that anymore?

And how difficult is the battery swap? Something very complicated I take it?

No idea, when I complained about not having Ludicrous mode anymore I half expected that. I honestly don’t think they knew any better, and I certainly wasn’t going to volunteer the information.

Similar to mine. I wonder if near zeroing out the battery and doing full recharge resets the system?
Answering my own question. For info I went to 7 miles and recharged. Made no difference and my range is still dropping slowly and surely. When purchased in mid April I had 221 miles (Typical UK miles based on 305 Wh/miles) at 90% (245 at 100%). Now, 3 months later, I get 216 @ 90% (240 @ 100%) and the Wh/miles matches up. So at this rate I should get my "dream / what I thought I was buying" V3 battery before the end of the Tesla battery warranty! :mad:

I tried to read through this thread as I'm about to purchase a 2015 P90D. It has under 20k miles so battery problems surely haven't arose yet. But wondering if I should shy away from a 2015 P90D because of all the battery issues discussed here. BTW- is there any way to tell if it's V1, V2, or V3 battery?

I tried to read through this thread as I'm about to purchase a 2015 P90D. It has under 20k miles so battery problems surely haven't arose yet. But wondering if I should shy away from a 2015 P90D because of all the battery issues discussed here. BTW- is there any way to tell if it's V1, V2, or V3 battery?

You have to look at the battery sticker and the number on there. Sorry I can't find the relevant info at the moment. Will look later if you can't find it on here in the meantime. The sticker can be seen by looking through the front right wheel to battery. Some say you have to turn the steering but on mine I can see through the wheel spokes gaps easily enough.

Unless the one you are looking at has had a replacement it is most likely a V1 battery. The main issue for me (P90DL with V1) is reduced power/current for Ludicrous. Not a huge problem and probably makes zero difference for a non Ludicrous anyway? After three years and 35k miles my battery appears to have around 5% degradation. So nothing major or out of the ordinary. I think my mileage loss reported earlier is just normal age loss.

OK. But if it's a V1, should I pass on the sale?

BTW- I told him to look behind the right front wheel and he couldn't find the sticker. Is it always there or could it be another location?
Sticker is always there - unless removed.

No idea if you should pass. Depends on many factors that affect you only - price, condition, colour, what you actually want, etc, etc. Best to do as much research before buying, ie reading on this forum. Don't do it after you buy like me!

James