Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
17126951_395559010800130_1679869526029631488_n.jpg

yesterday i got the news that my February 2016 build model s p90dl needs it battery replaced. i cant help but laugh at this because of my post in the pack performance thread in January.
im still wondering where all the drive unit and battery replacement threads are for the p90d's...

after speaking with the SC, i find out that the P90D battery is not an on shelf item and i have X amount of days to wait for a re-manufactured unit. which made me ask, "if i get a new battery, is it going to fail in another year?" the answer was yes, because of how i drive.

While on the phone that phrase did not stand out, but after reading some comments on the reddit thread i made now im a bit more alarmed. I would not say that i beat the hell out of the car but i do drive it like a P90D. i generally do a hard hit acceleration to highway speeds about once a day. which... i dont think is all that unusual for a 50 mile a day commute. mix in a few green light launches, but those only go to about 35-40 mph. from my limited data logging phase i saw i only ever got max output of 483kw above 60mph. I have used Max Battery Power a total of... 4 times in my year of ownership? I think it was only ever "Ready!" one of those times, and that was well below 90% SoC. I have used launch mode maybe 3 times, but never in combination with MBP.

just thought i would break a sacrificial bottle of champagne for a thread about what i think is going to start happening a lot more often. especially since we have zero guild lines as how this car can be driven to not cause any failures. dont got over 300kw accelerating? stay in sport mode? dont go above 55mph if accelerating?

@Tech_Guy your up.

IMG_4546.JPG

Welcome to the countergate club :rolleyes:

I agree with you Tesla realy hasn't provided any guidelines as to what specifically causes this or what to avoid to increase longevity. Even in this message "Avoid Hard Acceleration". It's not don't, just avoid?! I'd love to get some straight answers.

My battery was also replaced with my annual service but my issues started 3 months after purchase, hopefully I'm not going to be at the Service Center quarterly for battery swaps. Seems to me if the 100 battery improves the longevity Tesla should be offering it to effected owners to save warranty costs and labor hours!

You really shouldn't have to replace your battery just because you accelerated to maximum 3 times. I think Tesla has / does aim to engineer its vehicles with a 15+ year battery and drivetrain lifespan. Fortunately battery / drivetrain replacements seem to actually becoming less common based on posts I've seen here. I hope this trend continues.

You can reach out to [email protected] to inquire about your specific cases.

You can reach out to [email protected] to inquire about your specific cases.

Thanks for the tip,:rolleyes: I reached out to them in September about my car loosing 40 horsepower which later became 100... See this thread if your interested Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits
With the new software update released February 14 I got the message shown above and had my battery replaced, Power was restored but only under certain conditions vs how it was previously available at all times with max battery power ready.

Last edited:
Still on 7.1 so I guess the battery is "okay" until something really bad happens or I get a phone call from the mothership.

i am REALLY interested to see what happens when you upgrade. my mileage is not too much higher than yours.
i have been logging the hell out of my rated range. not sure if this shows anything worth noting.
p90d guess-o-meter

Reactions: davidc18
hopefully I'm not going to be at the Service Center quarterly for battery swaps. Seems to me if the 100 battery improves the longevity Tesla should be offering it to effected owners to save warranty costs and labor hours!

They could just fix the P90D battery design with whatever cooling or wiring upgrades they need. Then they'd only have to replace our batteries once. They could re-manufacture the old packs with the new cooling or just use those for 90D replacements. We can hope...

They could just fix the P90D battery design with whatever cooling or wiring upgrades they need. Then they'd only have to replace our batteries once. They could re-manufacture the old packs with the new cooling or just use those for 90D replacements. We can hope...

They could just use the 100kW packs with blanks where the 700 or so extra batteries would be. No idea if this is cost effective or not.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18

The labor would likely be more than manufacturing the pack from scratch, including raw materials.

Reactions: St Charles
I was told that my Model S - AP1 P90D Ludicrous battery was upgradable to the 100 kW pack when the 100 kW version was announced. Unfortunately, I got a call tonight from Tesla telling me that this was not going to happen due to issues with the pre-refreshed bumper.

Is it too "first world problem" to be frustrated with this?

I was told that my Model S - AP1 P90D Ludicrous battery was upgradable to the 100 kW pack when the 100 kW version was announced. Unfortunately, I got a call tonight from Tesla telling me that this was not going to happen due to issues with the pre-refreshed bumper.

A bit, yes. But take comfort; eventually all the post refresh P90DL owners will be told that it's just too difficult as well.

Bumper? What? Sounds like a load of BS.

Reactions: chwall P90DL
Bumper? What? Sounds like a load of BS.
Agreed. He said he started making the calls today and only 10% of those he called were similarly irritated. He said he'd pass on my concerns/questions to his supervisor. I directly questioned how the pre-refresh bumper could be such a barrier to the new battery pack. He didn't have an answer, hence the "supervisor" card was played.

• Informative
Reactions: Tech_Guy
Agreed. He said he started making the calls today and only 10% of those he called were similarly irritated. He said he'd pass on my concerns/questions to his supervisor. I directly questioned how the pre-refresh bumper could be such a barrier to the new battery pack. He didn't have an answer, hence the "supervisor" card was played.

Maybe it is the same thing that is holding up the 100Ds from being delivered. Maybe there is way more that was changed besides the battery pack. (And the rumored changes to the seats/airbags.)

Reactions: chwall P90DL