Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parity yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks, is the general consensus that AP2 is at parity with AP1 yet? I have driven AP2 a fair amount now and with the latest update it seems the best that I have seen. Is this as good as AP1?

I agree, it's really REALLY good now. Anyone else notice how fast the sensors are reading other cars now? I remember seeing a very delayed reaction when a car or truck would pass me in the fast lane. It seemed like it would take the car fully passing me until my car recognized it.

I'm still waiting on the parallel lane car reading ability that AP1 has. That really confirms for me that my car is 'seeing' other cars around me.

I agree, it's really REALLY good now. Anyone else notice how fast the sensors are reading other cars now? I remember seeing a very delayed reaction when a car or truck would pass me in the fast lane. It seemed like it would take the car fully passing me until my car recognized it.

I'm still waiting on the parallel lane car reading ability that AP1 has. That really confirms for me that my car is 'seeing' other cars around me.

Once enabled, I think AP2 will be much better than AP1 is regard to cars in adjacent lanes due to the multiple cameras. I had an AP1 loaner yesterday and realized that it only shows you cars that are ahead of your car, and by quite a bit...which is neat but not super helpful. With AP2, I assume it will show cars that are also to each side and 3/4 behind.

Once enabled, I think AP2 will be much better than AP1 is regard to cars in adjacent lanes due to the multiple cameras. I had an AP1 loaner yesterday and realized that it only shows you cars that are ahead of your car, and by quite a bit...which is neat but not super helpful. With AP2, I assume it will show cars that are also to each side and 3/4 behind.
I'm not sure what you mean here. I have AP1 and it shows cars in front, both up close and further out, and where there are multiple cars in front, it even shows that. I see cars up front both at freeway speeds separation, and while in bumper to bumper traffic. It shows cars on the side, from about the front quarter and beyond (within wide angle front camera FoW). It may just be something about the loaner you had.

AP1 also has excellent AP+wiper operation in heavy rain (I posted a separate thread about my experiences driving through heavy downpours last winter, when AP remained engaged effectively through passable visibility conditions), exit lane discrimination - something wasn't good at originally, but has gotten much better at now, stop and go traffic handling, speed limit sign recognition and even slowing down and accelerating again through curves/ramps.

I'm not sure what you mean here. I have AP1 and it shows cars in front, both up close and further out, and where there are multiple cars in front, it even shows that. I see cars up front both at freeway speeds separation, and while in bumper to bumper traffic. It shows cars on the side, from about the front quarter and beyond (within wide angle front camera FoW). It may just be something about the loaner you had.

Sorry was not very good my in description - I meant that it only shows you cars out front, as in front quarter and directly in front, but not cars parallel to your car or cars in the rear quarter view, which is something I would expect AP2 to show once they activate it.

Sorry was not very good my in description - I meant that it only shows you cars out front, as in front quarter and directly in front, but not cars parallel to your car or cars in the rear quarter view, which is something I would expect AP2 to show once they activate it.
Currently AP2 does not show them. Yes it's expected but you never know when it will come out. They still haven't gotten rain sensing wipers to work!

Reactions: pilotSteve
I saw something cool in the instrument cluster today. (Woaaah!)

Context: I's hurling down a tunnel with two lanes in the same direction.

IC correctly depicted two cars ahead of me in my own lane (radar rocks!!), and two cars in my left lane.

Then a motorbike came from behind and passed me in my left lane, and drove between those four cars ahead of me, before it steered left and captured the left lane in front of the two cars there.

IC animated the manuever perfectly, real-time. Amaaazing.

Parity that.

- AP1

That's quite a claim. AP2.5 would have nothing to do with it. I have over 17.5k of AP2 miles (almost 20k total) and I've never seen anything other than cars.

I didn't mean to suggest AP 2.5 had anything to do with it.

I am pretty sure I saw it display a motorcycle once. I remember it cuz I remember trying to show my wife, who couldn't care less. At least that's how I remember it.

• Funny
Reactions: Carl
Nope Not yet. AP2 still doesn't detect adjacent cars. Auto lane change is flakey. It failed to change to my left until I turned it off and restarted autopilot. There is still jerky movement by cars that are pretty stables on my side. Lane keeping is much better on my AP1. AP2 was drifting closer to the outside of the lane on the freeway curve.

I drove AP2 for the first time in a P100D loaner. I have owned AP1 for 1.5 years.

Observations:
1.The lane changes are faster, not necessarily better, but faster.
2. It brakes really hard if a car exits the highway in front of you or if a car pulls in front of you.... sometimes, uncomfortably hard. And it does not recover speed for a while. It went from 75 mph to 50 mph a few times.
3. It hugs the left lane line more than AP1... sometimes, but not always.
4. It did a weird jerk-back once when I tried to change lanes.

Maybe it is just my familiarity with AP1, but I didn't find AP2 to be as consistent. In the end I found myself using it less because of this.

I drove AP2 for the first time in a P100D loaner. I have owned AP1 for 1.5 years.

Observations:
1.The lane changes are faster, not necessarily better, but faster.
2. It brakes really hard if a car exits the highway in front of you or if a car pulls in front of you.... sometimes, uncomfortably hard. And it does not recover speed for a while. It went from 75 mph to 50 mph a few times.
3. It hugs the left lane line more than AP1... sometimes, but not always.
4. It did a weird jerk-back once when I tried to change lanes.

Maybe it is just my familiarity with AP1, but I didn't find AP2 to be as consistent. In the end I found myself using it less because of this.
Which firmware version and when did you drive it?