Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pending firmware update: ? Firmware 8.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did your X show wavy/dancing lines on the dash? If so, has that been fixed?

It always has shown wavy lines. When we first received auto steer at like 45, it would actually seem to be seeking back and forth with the waves. Now it is way more locked into the center of the lane, even though the lanes still dance a tiny bit. It seems the more I drive with it the better it gets. I truly think it just takes time and more miles driven by the fleet to improve the quality for everyone.

• Informative
Reactions: DiamondHands
It always has shown wavy lines. When we first received auto steer at like 45, it would actually seem to be seeking back and forth with the waves. Now it is way more locked into the center of the lane, even though the lanes still dance a tiny bit. It seems the more I drive with it the better it gets. I truly think it just takes time and more miles driven by the fleet to improve the quality for everyone.

Good to know. As I mentioned elsewhere before, those wavy lines don't inspire much confidence o_O

Reactions: pilotSteve
I've only done a quick test with a curvy road in the side roads (not marked very well). It did surprisingly well compared to previous versions (but not perfect).
The steering wheel was also MUCH less jerky back and forth and seemed much more stable.

...although there was one (really poorly marked) curve where it dipped into the second lane (going same direction). Still a little concerning and potentially dangerous on side roads if you're not careful, but it's a big jump in improvement.

I hope to test more later today

• Informative
Reactions: Turing and croman
I think Musk always has good intentions, including improving AP1. But what actually happens with a legacy system like AP1 in a brutally competitive environment is unknown.

AP1 is still performing "better" than AP2 (and anything else in a production car on the market) right now, unless 8.1 dramatically changes something, so I think it's totally fine (even as an AP1 owner) if AP2 gets priority for now. They've already delivered quite a nice system with AP1.

Reactions: vrykolas and Turing
My 2 day old S100D got the 8.1 update this afternoon. The car has no more than 11 miles on it and I did not expect to be a recipient of 8.1 for a couple of weeks. Took about 20 or 30 minutes to install. wifi. Probably wont drive it until tomorrow and if anything needs calibration, I wont be able to try out anything.

Waiting on mine, but from the information here, it really does look like they re-numbered another minor update as the 8.1 update to stick to atleast this date commitment. I do hope he comes out and says its in parts and this is Part 1 of the major update and the subsequent parts have the kernel,browser,apps + auto-wiper,auto-hibeam,auto-emergency braking, nav/gps updates and maybe a few other surprise tweaks and features.

I am sure there are folks in engineering working on these and have something to offer. If you notice, most of the stuff above (except maybe the browser and UI) is dependent on how well AP2 hardware works. I do expect a major update soon with the rest of the stuff as a 8.1 phase 2, assuming all vehicles roll out with 8.1 reliably and the hardware works as well as they think it will.

Oh well, we continue to wait...

Reactions: JohnnyG and ArtInCT
Waiting on mine, but from the information here, it really does look like they re-numbered another minor update as the 8.1 update to stick to atleast this date commitment. I do hope he comes out and says its in parts and this is Part 1 of the major update and the subsequent parts have the kernel,browser,apps + auto-wiper,auto-hibeam,auto-emergency braking, nav/gps updates and maybe a few other surprise tweaks and features.

I am sure there are folks in engineering working on these and have something to offer. If you notice, most of the stuff above (except maybe the browser and UI) is dependent on how well AP2 hardware works. I do expect a major update soon with the rest of the stuff as a 8.1 phase 2, assuming all vehicles roll out with 8.1 reliably and the hardware works as well as they think it will.

Oh well, we continue to wait...

I have no doubt that what was supposed to be 8.1 will now be 9.0. I guess it always should have been with a kernel update.

Excited to hear that 8.1 has done a lot to advance AP2 to much nearer AP1 parity. I know many people are still upset that some of the promised non-AP2 related 8.1 features (esp the browser/kernel update) were not present. And also that this 8.1 is 3 months "late" according to earlier Elon posts and not complete.

Being in the software business I can sympathize. Everybody wants to know when something will be ready. Everyone wants a date. So you try to give people a date based on your team's velocity and projections. I have a software project that's 3 months late and it's nothing so critical or daunting as AutoPilot. I think despite the lateness and sometimes impatience we need to realize what a huge endeavor it is to have to redo a lot of work after the MobileEye divorce. Wasn't there a year between HW1 and AP1 software to enable it? And Tesla has almost caught up after what 5 months? Realize they really didn't start from scratch, but the machine learning was probably quite different. So overall I think it's pretty damn impressive.

Last edited:
Got the update. So maybe I'm doing it wrong. I enabled summon and can summon from the app. Try to do it from the keyfob and no go.

Am I doing it wrong?
Hold the center until hazards on. Then press forward or back. But so far holding does nothing.

Car just updated to 17.11.3 on my model S AP2 - Summon works great, customised it so I get really close to the front of the garage :) Will try autosteer up to 80mph tomorrow and some other interesting updates to the Nav such as opening hours for local businesses ?! Also some new station on streaming called Favorite Station which is songs you favorite from all over the place.