Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pending firmware update: ? Firmware 8.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got mine yesterday night, it didnt take that long to update. Will try out AS today on streets it used to struggle with to see how much it has improved. I do wonder why there is no mention of local roads though, is it still 35? I would really like that to be increased, 35 is just about useless unless its stop-go traffic.

Reactions: BeesKnees
So a triple press of the "T" gives you a sketch pad? No wonder the update is not complete, delayed, and has not given us HW1 folks what we were promised in 2014. Software engineers wasting their time. Childish, like a lot of the stuff coming from Elon.

Seeing a number of people expressing a similar opinion. However from what I understand reading some of the threads on TMC, this little piece of software has been around behind the scenes for quite some time. With this 8.1 release they just decided to make it available to all of us. So no wasting of development time really. And everyone gets a little extra this release. Smile. Girls/Guys just need a little fun!

I got mine yesterday night, it didnt take that long to update. Will try out AS today on streets it used to struggle with to see how much it has improved. I do wonder why there is no mention of local roads though, is it still 35? I would really like that to be increased, 35 is just about useless unless its stop-go traffic.

Yes, still 35MPH on the streets. Word is that it will not increase until Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) is also added.

• Informative
Reactions: DiamondHands

Yep, still 35. 45 would be so much more useful. At least the local autosteer seems improved!

Hmm so I tried AS on local road at the same 35mph limit, nothing has changed. Its still very unsure what to do with curving single lane roads, when one side lane marker goes away it doesnt stick to the line on the other or maintain steady steering, a brief few feet of lines going away for a turn confuses the car, and overall just doesn't feel like anything has "improved" or changed on local roads and still feels unsafe.

Maybe all the work went on freeway/highway and nothing has been updated on the local road front. Oh well...

Regarding the whole sketchpad thing, its fun, something to play with, but the timing is a bit wrong and improper. If 8.1 were indeed what was promised originally, I think the easter egg would've been a nice fun find and something to play with, when 8.1 seems to have not covered even half the original promises, an Easter egg such as this is inappropriate IMO. Silly and a tad insulting to customers who are waiting on promised features for a very long time.

That said, I do think they have caught up quite well on the freeway/highway on new hardware front after the split, I just feel they are capable of covering the other smaller asks as well in parallel and am not quite sure why some minor improvements cannot be thrown in here and there by a dedicated team to atleast show there is still continued support and dev for the overall software and features and not seem like everything other than AP2 is abandoned.

I was able to use high-speed autosteer on my commute to work this morning for the first time. Overall it did very well, but I noticed that it is now more aggressive with respect to turning into curves. Before it always felt like it was turning late which resulted in the car drifting toward the outside of the lane, but this morning I noticed that it was erring on the side of turning earlier and hugging the inside of the curve more closely. It felt better that way, but it wasn't quite as smooth as I would have liked. I am sure it will continue to improve with time though, and I was pretty happy with autosteer over all.

Automatic lane changing worked very well also. I was able to use it to get all the way across 7 lanes of traffic this morning to my exit with no issues. The lane changes were pretty smooth, and I didn't notice any of the jerkiness that others had reported.

I was able to use high-speed autosteer on my commute to work this morning for the first time. Overall it did very well, but I noticed that it is now more aggressive with respect to turning into curves. Before it always felt like it was turning late which resulted in the car drifting toward the outside of the lane, but this morning I noticed that it was erring on the side of turning earlier and hugging the inside of the curve more closely. It felt better that way, but it wasn't quite as smooth as I would have liked. I am sure it will continue to improve with time though, and I was pretty happy with autosteer over all.

Automatic lane changing worked very well also. I was able to use it to get all the way across 7 lanes of traffic this morning to my exit with no issues. The lane changes were pretty smooth, and I didn't notice any of the jerkiness that others had reported.
I'm guessing the early turn in on curves is mapping from observed behavior in prior drives/other cars. My AP1 negotiates a highway turn/ramp later than i would expect, but technically speaking is really the apex of the curve.

Hey folks,
Can we please keep the new FW 8.1 topics to their respective threads instead of this one?
thanks.

Firmware 8.1 -- Thread for 'general' discussion common to all cars -- things like kernel and browser updates (ha ha), etc

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW1
Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW2
Firmware 8.1 - Classics
This thread was originally entitled Firmware 8.1 because it was pushed out literally the day I posted I recieved an update. I unfortunately was just unable to post the screenshots immediately. Forum moderator relabeled the thread. I would second your suggestion at this point. Better keep things organized so we can all find the information we are looking for.

Took our whip out last night for an hour-long highway drive, averaging between 70 and 78 MPH on AP- here are my thoughts:
  1. Compared to my past experiences with AP1, I would say AP2 has achieved 90% parity.
  2. I noticed slight hesitation - prompt, transient reduction in speed - each time we approached an overpass.
  3. At some points during the drive, including on straight stretches, the car would ever-so-slightly do a back and forth to stay in the middle of the lane.
  4. Curves are handled well.
  5. While passing by a semi in manual mode, I tend to hug the lane marker away from the semi- unfortunately AP2 hasn't learned this behavior, and so although the car stays in the middle of the lane, for me it remains a little too close to the semi during the pass. I think Tesla engineers can easily incorporate some code for passing semis in an update.
  6. While in AP mode, highway lanes to either side of me show up on my dash. However, not all cars show up. Also, semis don't show up as such, as they do in AP1.
Overall, I'm very happy with AP2, and I began to trust it for the most part on the highway. With lots of other cars on the road though, I'd be extra cautious during the initial few days (maybe weeks).

I'm definitely looking forward to the system becoming more solid over time.

I won't trust it until it becomes aware of cars in the adjacent the lanes. That is still a huge oversight and safety issue which hopefully will be improved in the coming weeks.

In my experience, I think the car is aware of cars in adjacent lanes- as evidenced by automatic lane changing in AP mode. For some reason, the icons in adjacent lanes don't consistently show up. I suppose everyone's mileage can vary.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
I won't trust it until it becomes aware of cars in the adjacent the lanes. That is still a huge oversight and safety issue which hopefully will be improved in the coming weeks.

Even on AP1 cars, the computer is aware of and responds to things that it never displays on the instrument panel, or in some cases only displays when it reacts to them like the pedestrian emergency braking.

I have no doubt that the radar is reporting the cars in adjacent lanes; not sure if the cameras are recognizing them or if the car is reacting to them yet even though they aren't painted.

Reactions: DiamondHands
I can tell the car is aware of the other cars in the lanes adjacent. I don't think they are displayed because the system is clearly at its limit. I am hoping they are better able to refine the data processing to reassure us all that it is working as intended.

Regarding the whole sketchpad thing, its fun, something to play with, but the timing is a bit wrong and improper. If 8.1 were indeed what was promised originally, I think the easter egg would've been a nice fun find and something to play with, when 8.1 seems to have not covered even half the original promises, an Easter egg such as this is inappropriate IMO. Silly and a tad insulting to customers who are waiting on promised features for a very long time.

Well, I know of one eight year old boy who disagrees...

full

Of course, that rainbow drawing may get us in trouble with the NC GOP... :cool:

I can tell the car is aware of the other cars in the lanes adjacent. I don't think they are displayed because the system is clearly at its limit. I am hoping they are better able to refine the data processing to reassure us all that it is working as intended.

Considering the HW2 cars are running on supercomputers, I anticipate many more refinements and dataset visuals down the road as Tesla continues to aggregate and validate fleet data.