Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pennsylvania Waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I attended the local virtual Tesla Orientation tonight and learned of a few local and other things that I feel could help people in PA.
  • Car needs to be inspected in PA after delivery. SC is not licensed in PA to inspect. You have 90 days with your temporary registration to get the car inspected. No emissions sticker/testing required (kind of obvious, but not sure if places will try and charge you for it).
  • I asked about the need for jack pucks if I go to a non-Tesla service center. They said that was a long time ago. And most lifts at modern service centers do not need the jack pucks. If you go somewhere that does need the pucks, then you probably shouldn't be go there for your inspection to begin with.
  • License plate can still be transferred if not trading in. You need to email a copy of your current car's registration to your SA and ask them to remove the $29 new license plate fee. Also you will need the physical license plate with you at delivery for them to legally allow you to leave the lot.
  • If your phone ever dies and you don't have a key card on you, someone can log in to your account and remote start the car. You have 2 minutes to begin driving. If you step out of the car, then it will need to be remote started again to continue your trip.
  • Tesla's have surge protection built in.
  • Mobile connector is allowed to be used outdoors in the rain/snow so long as it is off the ground and the receptacle is outdoor weather proofed.

• Informative
Reactions: Fred42
I attended the local virtual Tesla Orientation tonight and learned of a few local and other things that I feel could help people in PA.
  • Car needs to be inspected in PA after delivery. SC is not licensed in PA to inspect. You have 90 days with your temporary registration to get the car inspected. No emissions sticker/testing required (kind of obvious, but not sure if places will try and charge you for it).
  • I asked about the need for jack pucks if I go to a non-Tesla service center. They said that was a long time ago. And most lifts at modern service centers do not need the jack pucks. If you go somewhere that does need the pucks, then you probably shouldn't be go there for your inspection to begin with.
  • License plate can still be transferred if not trading in. You need to email a copy of your current car's registration to your SA and ask them to remove the $29 new license plate fee. Also you will need the physical license plate with you at delivery for them to legally allow you to leave the lot.
  • If your phone ever dies and you don't have a key card on you, someone can log in to your account and remote start the car. You have 2 minutes to begin driving. If you step out of the car, then it will need to be remote started again to continue your trip.
  • Tesla's have surge protection built in.
  • Mobile connector is allowed to be used outdoors in the rain/snow so long as it is off the ground and the receptacle is outdoor weather proofed.

I am pretty sure you only have 10 days to inspect your car.

This is what I found on the PA DMV:
A vehicle newly registered in Pennsylvania must have a safety inspection within ten (10) days of the registration date. Inspections are performed at official inspection stations (usually a repair garage or a service station with a repair shop). Equipment checks include: lights, brakes, horn, tires, safety belts, exhaust system, mirrors, tag mounting, suspension, turn signals, steering, glazing, wipers, and other major parts of your vehicle.

source: Motor Vehicle Information for New Residents

I am pretty sure you only have 10 days to inspect your car.

This is what I found on the PA DMV:
A vehicle newly registered in Pennsylvania must have a safety inspection within ten (10) days of the registration date. Inspections are performed at official inspection stations (usually a repair garage or a service station with a repair shop). Equipment checks include: lights, brakes, horn, tires, safety belts, exhaust system, mirrors, tag mounting, suspension, turn signals, steering, glazing, wipers, and other major parts of your vehicle.

source: Motor Vehicle Information for New Residents
My SA today at delivery said that is the case once you receive the official registration in the mail. However, while on temporary registration that is good for 90 days. So it depends on when you receive it.

Impossible for me to get it inspected until mid July. I’ll be gone for a week via plane and then another week via road trip. He said that shouldn’t be a problem.

My SA today at delivery said that is the case once you receive the official registration in the mail. However, while on temporary registration that is good for 90 days. So it depends on when you receive it.

Impossible for me to get it inspected until mid July. I’ll be gone for a week via plane and then another week via road trip. He said that shouldn’t be a problem.
When I picked up at Devon in the paperwork it says you need to get an inspection within 10 days of delivery. Doubt you'll get a ticket unless you get pulled over for something else (or park on the street in Philadelphia...PPA is vicious).

Wow Ivyland, that's a town I haven't heard mentioned in a longgg time. Born and raised there!

Ordered a MYLR5 on June 19 and estimated delivery has already been all over the place. At first it was just September, then it showed August 16 - September 5, and now it shows August 22 - September 11. What will it be next week? No one knows!

Reactions: BrianBigNFun
Wow Ivyland, that's a town I haven't heard mentioned in a longgg time. Born and raised there!

Ordered a MYLR5 on June 19 and estimated delivery has already been all over the place. At first it was just September, then it showed August 16 - September 5, and now it shows August 22 - September 11. What will it be next week? No one knows!
I always thought Ivyland was just part of Warminster. Also, the EDD will just disappear completely next week, lol

ordered way back in march but had it on hold until july 5 (lived in belgium until last week). current delivery estimate is aug 15 - sept 4. pickup is scheduled for devon. my sa (jon) has been great throughout the process. anyone else familiar with this dude?

Last edited:
Bucks County here. Ordered 6/21, EDD has been all over the place (as you can see in sig). Pickup scheduled in Devon. Learned something knew regarding the PA inspection, good to know.
I finally got my MY "inspected" last week after picking up in mid-June. Took all of 10 minutes. Service guy didn't have to do anything, just slap on the sticker, read my odometer, and charge me $43.

Bucks County here. Ordered 6/21, EDD has been all over the place (as you can see in sig). Pickup scheduled in Devon. Learned something knew regarding the PA inspection, good to know.
Waiting for my MYLR as well. Ordered on 6-15 and estimate keeps changing. Now it says 9-2 to 9-22. Very frustrating. Get the same answer from Tesla customer service every time… they don’t know any better than what is in the dashboard. Wish they make this order tracking process little human and transparent.

Waiting for my MYLR as well. Ordered on 6-15 and estimate keeps changing. Now it says 9-2 to 9-22. Very frustrating. Get the same answer from Tesla customer service every time… they don’t know any better than what is in the dashboard. Wish they make this order tracking process little human and transparent.
I also ordered 6-15, Wexford (Pittsburgh PA) Delivery. MYLR MSM, Induction wheels, no tow, no FSD. EDD was 9-2 / 9-22 a week ago but is now 9-11 / 9-28. Any update on your order?