Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree, I take delivery next week of the p3d- and trying to get clarification if I can just get a new Vin with the p3d+ for the same price. I called last night and was told yes, but then the sales guy at the Tesla store who gave me the performance test drive and upgraded me told me that is not the case. I am calling back today. let me know how your situation goes. I don't see why you simply could not refuse delivery and then get a p3d+ vin.
No news yet. Maybe they are waiting on Cali offices to open. Let me know if you hear anything

Someone posted this on Facebook and I think is a good point:

Free supercharging for life might be worth far more than we think. If this is a million mile car, that can be rented out as a self driving taxi, that’s 250,000 kWh of free charging. At .25 cents per kWh, that’s $62,500. If your car makes money for each mile it’s driven, the faster it can charge the more money it’ll make.

Let say you drive the car for 7-10 years and then you decide you want to get a new car. Instead of getting next to nothing from trading the car in you want to keep the car as a self driving taxi and make some money o_O.

Not worth voiding warranty or being blocked supercharger access by Tesla, if it finds out.

Reactions: juanmedina
5-10 years from now? sounds achievable. How long ICE cars last this days 20-30 years. I see 90's honda civics all the time.

Level 5 may be viable in 5 to 10 years, but I am not optimistic that it will be achievable with the current hardware in a Model 3. As someone who did not spring for FSD, I will not be receiving the hardware upgrades. For me, it's a no brainer to take the $5k and give up the supercharging. Again, I would rather have kept my supercharging and received a credit toward the purchase of my next car or accessories, ensuring happiness and continued brand loyalty.

Level 5 may be viable in 5 to 10 years, but I am not optimistic that it will be achievable with the current hardware in a Model 3. As someone who did not spring for FSD, I will not be receiving the hardware upgrades. For me, it's a no brainer to take the $5k and give up the supercharging. Again, I would rather have kept my supercharging and received a credit toward the purchase of my next car or accessories, ensuring happiness and continued brand loyalty.

I would take that if that becomes option.

Keeping Free supercharging and 5K credit for future purchase is win win for customers and Tesla.

Reactions: Jedi2155
Exactly, and there are so many other examples. This is a really bad decision, resulting in an avalanche of unhappy customers because their name isn’t Fred and they can’t cry to Elon when these types of things impact them. I want my money from the price drop on the 90D that happened 1 week after delivery, as well as the gen 2 seats in my 3, and all other enhancements that have been made, and I want ap2 on my ap1 car, and I demand a free upgrade to ap2.5 and to 3 as soon as that comes out. I am an early adopter and I demand to get everything I want for free. Oh, and when will I get my free Roadster 2.0?

Has there really been an example where there was the same percentage drop in price with zero technology changes? That’s key. This wasn’t progress or a running change. This was a price drop on an identical car.

As Elon noted, “too much, too soon.” There should be some level of security as an early adopter that a brand new model isn’t going to have a major unannounced price drop or upgrade immediately after release.

Yes, they make weekly changes but if you move too fast too soon on noticeable stuff, you risk backlash like this.

Last edited:
Not sure what the wife example has to do with this subject. Maybe you meant to say, you married your wife and 2 months later after you find out the prom queen had a crush on you and you could have married her and now you feel like you made the wrong choice?

Back to the original topic - business transactions, it's simple, you agree on price for something, you get it, what else is there. You asked me how I would feel. Well, it just so happens I was in a very similar situation with Tesla including the $5K package for free on the Model S just few months ago (price went up by $2.5K, so technically car identical to mine would be $2.5K cheaper 2 months later). It didn't bother me at all. Maybe I just don't get it. What other people have or don't have doesn't affect my satisfaction with what I have. I wish everyone would have a Tesla, even the poorest drivers - I would hope it would make for faster moving traffic, so better for me. I make my choices based on information available at the time, and I don't look back. As long as I can honestly say to myself that given only the information I had when I made the decision, I would make the very same decision again, I sleep fine.

This kind of reminds me of people who sell their stock options from companies they work for, and then are sad if the stock goes up. If the stock goes down, that makes them feel like they made a great decision to sell when they did, but somehow they don't factor into that feeling that the rest of their stock options have devalued because the stock went down, and if the company stock is not going well they may also loose their jobs. Basically, they are rooting for their own detriment in order to justify some one time sell decision. Completely irrational, just like people here complaining that someone else will be able to get a more affordable Tesla.

But yes, I will agree that majority of people are irrational. Recently a very large poll (>1M people) about self driving cars showed that majority (>76%) people would support autonomous cars to implement a policy of minimizing the number of deaths, even if that meant killing passengers (e.g. run over 2 pedestrians to drive a car with single occupant into a concrete wall, choose to kill the occupant). However, when the question was turned around, people were asked whether they would purchase such a car or a car that would protect the occupants at all costs, significantly less than half of those same people said they'd pick the car that maximized death. So yes, there is a very significant portion of the population which is irrational and inconsistent in their own ethics even.

I was simply trying to point out the irrationality of the complains. People would be much happier if they were more rational.

You know damn well the prom queen example doesn’t happen. :) If it did, everyone would probably make that move and regret it later after getting yelled at later by her as well.

The other example I am sure happens every day to someone somewhere. You feel bad because your wife / SO left for someone better than you.

Rational? Nope it would burn. Hasn’t happened to me but I can imagine it would burn hard.

This is how we reconcile our viewpoints:

You look at things being rational - it makes you right. I am looking at things being empathetic. The customer ultimately keeps Tesla afloat.

Having a consistent position is very very hard.

For what it’s worth if I was the only person affected, no I wouldn’t of said anything no matter how much it hurts. I bought FSD on 9/31 to help Tesla achieve its numbers.

That is the definition of a Tesla nut hugger and Elon ball swinger.

I am raising hell so hopefully Elon / Tesla gets their head out of their ass and never do something so drastic again.

It’s short term pain to tank my TSLA when 50,000 people are impacted.

Imagine what happens when 500,000 or 5,000,000 people are hit by a bone headed, ill advised, non careful decision is not vetted?

Seems like for CA supercharger rate of .26 kWh the breakeven is ~75k supercharger miles.

Think in my case I’ll be better off taking the $5k refund and paying per use since even though I take a lot of road trips I don’t anticipate putting that many supercharger charged miles on this car in the time I will likely own this vehicle. I typically swap cars every 3 years. I could see me holding this one a little longer since the tech has the ability to update itself, but I just don’t see myself holding this car out of warranty or when the battery starts to fade.

If lifetime supercharging was tied to me the owner vs the car then I wouldn’t even consider taking a refund.

Reactions: preilly44
Seems like for CA supercharger rate of .26 kWh the breakeven is ~75k supercharger miles.

Think in my case I’ll be better off taking the $5k refund and paying per use since even though I take a lot of road trips I don’t anticipate putting that many supercharger charged miles on this car in the time I will likely own this vehicle. I typically swap cars every 3 years. I could see me holding this one a little longer since the tech has the ability to update itself, but I just don’t see myself holding this car out of warranty or when the battery starts to fade.

If lifetime supercharging was tied to me the owner vs the car then I wouldn’t even consider taking a refund.

I thought the same.

If lifetime supercharging follows the owner, then the value of FUSC can be priceless.

• Love
Reactions: Jedi2155 and MXWing
The $5k refund offered to current 3P owners is probably a good deal for Tesla. There are probably only 5k P owners out there right now. It will cost Tesla about $25 million to do the refunds (assuming all give up supercharging). They will probably be able to reduce future expense of Supercharger access by 5-10 million. So, they probably ran the numbers and figured it was better to keep the fans happy for $15 or so million.

What does Tesla get for their $15 million cost besides happier early adopters? They probably get to sell a lot more PAWD cars. They probably saw a dramatic drop off in P models after the pent up orders and free supercharging offers went away. What better way to drive P sales than to have a price cut. In my case I would have gone with P instead of AWD at the current pricing. I could not justify a 14k upgrade to the P over AWD with 19" tires. Now it is effectively a $9500 upgrade (assuming 19" tires $1500). So, essentially get get a lot more AWD->P conversions. The $9500 probably costs them $4k. So, essentially they make 5k+ in profit for every conversion.

They probably ran the math and realized that giving 5k or so $5k refunds now is more than made up 10s of thousands of upgrades in the future.

Last edited:
No news yet. Maybe they are waiting on Cali offices to open. Let me know if you hear anything

A bunch of people at Tesla get to work this weekend because Elon folded to Fred and made a snap decision to refund millions of dollars to existing customers AND put hundreds of weekend deliveries in jeopardy.

Bravo dipshits.

A bunch of people at Tesla get to work this weekend because Elon folded to Fred and made a snap decision to refund millions of dollars to existing customers AND put hundreds of weekend deliveries in jeopardy.

Bravo dipshits.

Yeah all the deliveries with anyone in the know are going to be a mess. I can’t take a 3P delivery without offical word on this. Even AWD pickups need clarification on options.

I thought the same.

If lifetime supercharging follows the owner, then the value of FUSC can be priceless.

In the investment forums where no one gives a f about Tesla owners, someone just said to paraphrase :

“MXWing you dumbass, you just devalued your car by 5000 more when you sell it!!!”

There’s an idea to appease all legacy owners, free car based FUSC.

Legacy being earlier than 4:00pm yesterday lol

Offer to sell it for one week as well at the old price. That would shut people up real fast.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Has there really been an example where there was the same percentage drop in price with zero technology changes? That’s key. This wasn’t progress or a running change. This was a price drop on an identical car.

As Elon noted, “too much, too soon.” There should be some level of security as an early adopter that a brand new model isn’t going to have a major unannounced price drop or upgrade immediately after release.

Yes, they make weekly changes but if you move too fast too soon on noticeable stuff, you risk backlash like this.

Yes, here’s one example and I’m confident there are others...

Tesla Slashes Price Of Model S 75 By $7,500 To Just $69,500

Using the same logic, buyers who took delivery days after this price cut should have been compensated too.

As for the early adopters argument, aren’t these buyers early adopters too?

I’m sure I will get blasted for saying this but I really hope Tesla sticks to their guns on this...even at the risk of alienating a few other their loyal customers.

He said “arguably too much too soon”. There is a huge difference between the two sentiments; quotes should be represented appropriately.

The actual tweets have been posted repeatedly on this thread. No misdirection was intended. In correcting me, you didn’t add that it was immediately followed by “Taking corrective action.”

To me, this weakens the “arguably” because he immediately acknowledges he’s taking action. If it was truly still under debate whether it was too much too soon, why commit to fixing it. I don’t see it as a huge difference.