Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at this whole cluster* its clear that the yearly model is a good one for large purchases like a car, which always go down in value. From Teslas point of view, they are a fast moving company who take a lot of advantage from rapidly adjusting the price of the car or options. However in cases like this, its really biting them. You have a whole range of people who otherwise would be enjoying their cars now feeling cheated.

Changing prices drastically (almost 10%) in a 2 month period was asking for trouble and now Tesla needs a way out. That's why I recommended service/supercharger/option credits as reimbursement and not Cash. This way the value never leaves the customer but its stretched out over time for Tesla or otherwise gets spent on features that cost a lot less than they sell them for, like EAP. Down the road the customer could spend the credit on the aftermarket brakes if they wanted if that is required for track mode. This is not only an easier pill to swallow but gives the customer an immediate value and stops the focus on this horrible mistake by Tesla.

It really sucks for the P3 Stealth folks especially. I can see the anger and its justified. I had never in a million years thought they deserved the $5k refund any less than any other buyers. Whatever is given to the one group should go to both. Though to be clear I didn't think anything was deserved. FACT: prices change, usually getting cheaper as existing stuff gets less "Bleeding Edge".

Tesla needs to step up and if they are giving a refund/price change whatever, they should apply it equally.

I changed my order at the last minute to add the PUP based on the tweet that track mode only being available with it without some extra purchase. In hindsight I am glad I did because a car this fast will TAX brakes on a very twisty mountain road even. It doesn't take a track to want the upgraded brakes, just ask MPP.

If you plan on stopping once and then going home or perhaps driving like a "Normal EV" then the normal brakes are just fine. If you want to fly down a twisty mountain road with your performance oriented car then you'll appreciate the better brakes.

P3- have a tweet that they are working on an upgrade package (read additional purchase). No promise is implied on timing or that it will be free..
From the actual tweet:
We’re working to provide an aftermarket Performance Upgrade Package when Track Mode becomes available.
Mostly agree - good points! - except supercharging credits do me no good.
Have FUSC because Tesla incentivised me to order fast.
That is no longer on the table to give or to take, in my case.

I wish I could but I want to get the money first :)

Jjk, the address the emails came from is the general customer service address. I am guessing they are routed based on the code in the subject.

I did email Parker asking for his direct email but no response yet.

Bummer that he masked his last name with just an initial. I have several email addresses of Tesla employees, and without fail they all follow the classic first-initial + last-name @ format.

Reactions: P85_DA
If it is true that P3D- people get really nothing for this price drop, I can definitely understand the anger you guys get.

At worst, Lifetime FUSC is still a consolation prize to make up for it. If they bring Lifetime FUSC to even MR, that would be a double burn to P3D- folks. I hope Tesla doesn't go that extreme.

I think what Tesla can do is upgrade the wheels and brakes for P3D- people. Anyway, I hope everything works out fine for all affected P3D owners and put an end to this 73 pages of speculation and different responses from Tesla.
I'm a P- with FUSC because Tesla incentivised me to order really fast.
Their response to my contact was" you have FUSC". - DUH! I know that!
And that was it. Basically: "Sorry, you're screwed and we don't care. Enjoy!"

• Love
Unfortunately, Parker is not a turnkey solution.

I would remain cautiously optimistic until a check actually appears.

Parker isn’t printing the check, and dropping it in the mail.

Makes sense for Tesla to assign an actual person/teams just to handle these cases.

• Informative
Agree completely - except I am NOT "conditioned by the model year approach". :)

I have never bought a new car in my life! My P- is my very first new car. In fact I've never paid more than $5K for any car - so $5K has a bit of meaning to me! I'm NOT going away on this issue! You hear me Tesla?!

Except you never paid the $5k with your P- like the P3D+ owners did. This is why Tesla has to draw the line somewhere. If they give you a refund for $5k you never paid, then you already see the AWD owners saying their value is diminished since they would have gotten a P if it was only $5k more (early in the thread many had this exact complaint).

Don't forget, PUP purchasers have paid taxes on it as well as increased yearly registration and insurance fees (which will never be recouped). P3D- owners never paid the $5k so I think while it sucks, it's totally reasonable Tesla would not offer a $5k refund for money that was never paid.

Now, you can fairly argue they should upgrade your wheels and brakes (in trade for lifetime SC). But really, unless you're going to drive the car HARD at a track where it will heat soak your brakes repeatedly the 15% efficiency lost for all other driving that the package dings you is not worth it. Lifetime SC is worth more for most users.

If they truly never come out with Track Mode for P3D-, then I would be truly upset. But I have faith they will have Track Mode for P3D- coming.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I can agree with this. I see two things wrong with Tesla's model.

First, if they're trying to emulate the software industry that has the "push features as fast as possible" model then they are forgetting a crucial aspect of that business model. All buyers are equal. Software, generally speaking, is the same price for everyone, forever. Rarely does the price of software change. So it's easy as a buyer and a developer to constantly release new updates since everyone is equal. Further, all customers always receive all updates. There's usually no cherry picking which customers get what. A company may create pricing tiers and then push specific features at those tiers but everyone at the same tier always gets the same set of features.

Second, there's nothing fundamentally broken about the year based business model. As they say if it ain't broken, don't fix it. I have to believe than in the 120+ year history of car manufacturing the reason why the entire rest of the industry uses the year based model is a good one and based on sound economic principles that has more than a century of tested validity. I see no benefit, as a consumer, and especially as a company, to push hardware and price changes as fast as possible.

That's not to say that there aren't industries that do push these kinds changes as fast as possible. However, every single example I can think of that all have price match and buyback guarantee policies in order to prevent confusion, panic and market instability among consumers. If we are to use those companies as an example, then everyone here would have already been given the option to a price match refund or return of their vehicle for a full refund; no questions asked.

Yet Tesla doesn't seem interested in following any of these norms. It's one thing to buck tradition in order to make genuine improvements to an industry. It's another thing entirely to disregard a century of proven economic models and consumer behavior and for what? Elon Musk's ego? That's the only answer I can come up with.
Sorry can’t agree. Old auto model sucks worse. No price transparency. Dealers are nasty. Direct sales is a goood improvement. Continuous product update is a good improvement. Just needs the rough edges worked out. Hope it doesn’t take a century.

Except you never paid the $5k with your P- like the P3D+ owners did. This is why Tesla has to draw the line somewhere. If they give you a refund for $5k you never paid, then you already see the AWD owners saying their value is diminished since they would have gotten a P if it was only $5k more (early in the thread many had this exact complaint).

Now, you can fairly argue they should upgrade your wheels and brakes. But really, unless you're going to drive the car HARD at a track where it will heat soak your brakes repeatedly the 15% efficiency lost for all other driving that the package dings you is not worth it.

If they truly never come out with Track Mode for P3D-, then I would be truly upset. But I have faith they will have Track Mode for P3D- coming.
Yes. By this logic all P3D cars should get retrofit PUP or replacement vehicles because we paid the same price as those that now get it included. For any of these owners the reason to take the deal isn't because you may or may not track the car its because you a) want to ensure your car's value remains constant with others in its class and b) receive continued support for the car since Tesla will likely drop support entirely for this configuration moving forward.

• Disagree
  • Love
Reactions: Msjulie and MP3Mike
Now, you can fairly argue they should upgrade your wheels and brakes. But really, unless you're going to drive the car HARD at a track where it will heat soak your brakes repeatedly the 15% efficiency lost for all other driving that the package dings you is not worth it.

They should definitely offer PUP as a (free) upgrade option for those who want it. That seems like the most fair.

Reactions: Jedi2155

Don't forget, PUP purchasers have paid taxes on it as well as increased yearly registration and insurance fees (which will never be recouped). P3D- owners never paid the $5k so I think while it sucks, it's totally reasonable Tesla would not offer a $5k refund for money that was never paid.

I mean if they were going to come out with track mode for p3d- why didn't they do it right away? I am hoping they will, but feel a bit worried since they have not done so yet.

I just got the official FU email from Tesla telling me I get nothing and should be thankful for my FUSC. Words cannot describe how angry this makes me...

I will never buy Tesla again.

Sorry to hear. Your P3D- is not any less awesome that it was when you purchased it.

The only thing Tesla could do is to offer lifetime supercharging in exchange for PUP upgrade. But would you really do that? You can easily get better brakes and tires for tracking. But you can never get free lifetime supercharging again.

If I was going to track the car, I would put much better aftermarket stuff than what PUP offered (at much less than $5k) and keep the free lifetime supercharging that no one can get now.

And if you don't track the car hard, your current wheels are more than 15% more efficient.

This scenario is not ideal for anyone. But I think you're making a MUCH bigger deal than it really is, and it's keeping you from enjoying your car. This last point is worth MUCH more than your perceived value of new owners getting PUP for free (and no free lifetime SC).

Yes I'm in CA. No I wasnt given the option to inspect before I signed. I was shown the car after all paperwork was signed and executed. The first and last car I will ever buy sight unseen. I put my faith in them. They proved me a fool.

I had the exact same experience (in CA). They pushed to sign paperwork before seeing the car. I gave a lot of critical feedback to them after that.

Sorry to hear. Your P3D- is not any less awesome that it was when you purchased it.

The only thing Tesla could do is to offer lifetime supercharging in exchange for PUP upgrade. But would you really do that? You can easily get better brakes and tires for tracking. But you can never get free lifetime supercharging again.

And if you don't track the car hard, your current wheels I more than 15% more efficient.
I would take the deal. I plan to buy lightweight 18" wheels anyway so I'll get some efficiency back. Again I'd take the deal for the reasons stated above. I want the continued support and value for my vehicle. At this point I have every expectation that my car is now another Zune.

• Funny
Yes I'm in CA. No I wasnt given the option to inspect before I signed. I was shown the car after all paperwork was signed and executed. The first and last car I will ever buy sight unseen. I put my faith in them. They proved me a fool.
They tried to get me to sign, but I said no, I’m inspecting first.

Ok I won’t torture you any further if you will also stop torturing yourself.

If you keep torturing yourself, you become fair game:):)

I mean if they were going to come out with track mode for p3d- why didn't they do it right away? I am hoping they will, but feel a bit worried since they have not done so yet.
They probably need to validate it. There may be calibrations that are dependent on the brakes. Maybe they have an algorithm to warn the user of brake overheating. I bet they’ll release it eventually.
Of course I’m hoping that all models will get a track mode or at least a stability control defeat mode.