Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking fixed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had an AP2 loaner last week. The phantom braking was horrible! It did it three times in less than twenty minutes on a route that I routinely drive (and never have a problem with AP1). Couple other times on wide open interstate it did the same thing. I can probably count on one hand the number of times my AP1 MX has done this over 4+ years.

I've been waiting for FSD before replacing at least one of our Tesla's with a newer model. But if this is the current level of TACC then it is unusable and unacceptable.

*Assuming it had the latest software since it was a loaner*
**I will say that auto-steer on AP2 is better than AP1*

My drive last night and today have it in the same exact place as always. I'm also extremely annoyed at the flashing yellow light handling, but that's another rant for another thread.

Agree. It's better than a year ago but far from fixed.

The flashing yellow light handling is ridiculous. We have them around here and on the side of the highway for various reasons - before turns, suggested speed warnings, right of way at an intersection with stop sign, etc. AP is basically unusable. This is right in Tesla's backyard too, I can't believe they don't have any basic logic for ignoring blinking yellow lights.

Reactions: DrDabbles
I have 2020.44.15. I have not experience any phantom braking.... but... while using Traffic Aware Cruise Control, Automatic Emergency Braking is WAYYYYYY too sensitive. A car turns in front of me a half a block away while I'm going around 40 mph, and the brakes get slammed on. I'm afraid to use it because a car could rear-end me... or think I am brake-checking them. But I have to use TACC in order to not get speeding tickets. Ha!

NO ITS NOT FIXED!

Tesla need to sort this out fast before someone gets killed!
I just had another PB passing a truck on the M5 motorway. It was dark and dry and I was using AP in lane 2. Then the car suddenly braked from 70 down to 40 mph as I drew level with a truck in lane 1, allowing the truck to speed past me!
God knows how anyone following didn't rear end me...
That's on software 2020.48.10
Sorry, I forgot to save the dash cam video...

Nope, had Eap on going 70 and it dropped me to 50 instantly for no reason. It was on a bridge that is dark with no signs and there was no one near or in front of me. Really unsafe. Checked the speed limit sign on the screen and it had not changed

Out today in MY with 2020.48.30, every single time I passed a freeway exit, the speed was changed to 50mph. I never noticed the Speed Limit icon changing from 65. Some over passes when the freeway dips below, it changed to 45mph. I drive with my foot hovering over the accelerator, something I have never felt compelled to do in any other car I've ever owned. FSD, seriously. So glad I did not fork over $$$ for that promised feature.

Phantom braking on surface streets started in July 2021 when I got the FSD computer upgrade and traffic signal awareness enabled. This was originally only when drive by parked cars. An annoyance but predictable and thus easily avoidable.

On April 3, for the first time, phantom braking on an Interstate. 3 times back to back within an hour.

Today April 4, once.

Phantom braking on surface streets started in July 2021 when I got the FSD computer upgrade and traffic signal awareness enabled. This was originally only when drive by parked cars. An annoyance but predictable and thus easily avoidable.

Although it's not phantom braking, my favorite new development is still braking for yellow flashing lights on the highway. Absolutely insane behavior, and easily as bad/dangerous as attempting to stop for blinking yellow lights on surface streets.

Reactions: Cheburashka
Although it's not phantom braking, my favorite new development is still braking for yellow flashing lights on the highway. Absolutely insane behavior, and easily as bad/dangerous as attempting to stop for blinking yellow lights on surface streets.

Absolutely love that. Especially when it brakes with the cadence of the blinking yellow light. I'm sure FSD is just around the corner.

Yes I've experienced the same, and it is annoying. At least it is predictable and so I know to keep my foot on the accelerator when caution lights show up.

What is also annoying is the car braking for traffic lights that aren't illuminated. But this is the fault of the city for having such traffic lights as the law is clear: when traffic lights have no power, treat as a stop sign.