Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had my SR+ for a year now and done a few 1000 motorway miles on autopilot without experiencing any episodes of phantom braking. Has anyone else had a similar experience or have I just been very lucky?

Are you updating the software regularly? Wish I could roll back to older software when it wasn’t such an issue.

my guess is that Tesla are trying to overcome APs original problem of not being able to detect stationary objects. But now it’s too sensitive. The project seems to be stuck between a rock and a hard place

I’ve had my SR+ for a year now and done a few 1000 motorway miles on autopilot without experiencing any episodes of phantom braking. Has anyone else had a similar experience or have I just been very lucky?

You might be lucky, but you are not alone. I have driven about 1500 miles on Autopilot on both motorways and dual carriageways in various conditions (rain, dry, low sun, etc). I have only experienced phantom braking once - passing a lorry in the rain, and the braking wasn’t that severe with the car quickly recovering speed. My previous car (a 2013 Golf) had TACC and exhibited phantom braking far more regularly than my Model 3 - I would estimate once every couple of hundred miles on average for the Golf.

I wonder if the differences in phantom braking are something to do with the camera calibration? i.e. for some random reason, the auto-calibration has worked 'better' for those of us with limited or no phantom braking.

Last edited:
Wol747
Sorry — I inserted the wrong quote in my last post! I was trying to query how Moj66 was avoiding suffering PB. For me, it is a worry every time I pass an HGV or go under a motorway bridge. Maybe I experience PB on less than 5% of such occasions and often the braking isn’t severe, but it doesn’t make using TACC the stress free experience it should be. It’s much worse on two way roads but I accept that at the moment that’s not a recommended place to use it. Needs to work reliably all the time for FSD to be a worthwhile proposition, especially for those of us that do only a small proportion of miles on motorways.

I wonder if they have fixed something in the 2021 models. I have now done 600 miles and have never experienced it. Today I drove from the midlands to Liverpool to pick up mu daughter and used AP pretty much all the way. the conditions varied from heavy rain to bright low sun and Tayln performed perfectly. Will keep trying and will report back if any problems occur

I wonder if they have fixed something in the 2021 models. I have now done 600 miles and have never experienced it. Today I drove from the midlands to Liverpool to pick up mu daughter and used AP pretty much all the way. the conditions varied from heavy rain to bright low sun and Tayln performed perfectly. Will keep trying and will report back if any problems occur

The auto wipers seem good enough on my 2021, so perhaps?

I had my first encounter with PB yesterday (had my 21 M3P since Friday). Rain + Lorry caused it, very jarring (70 -> 50), lucky the roads were quiet.

My previous car (Toyota C-HR) never once PB on a motorway. Occasionally it would PB in town, but in a nice way. It uses 2 step braking and not just slam on the brakes. The loud bleep, bleep, bleep alarm the Tesla makes me jump too!
The problem with the Tesla is it 'slams' on the brakes, when you least expect it, and this could lead to a very nasty pile-up accident on the motorway.
I'm going to make a safety complaint to Tesla as I think this is unacceptable for such an expensive car.

Reactions: Gasman23
Does anyone have a report of an actual PB causing and accident? I’ve already posted I think I got lucky my car has PB once on a freeway and it definitely got my attention but it was far from a dangerous situation. Maybe if I was playing video games instead of paying attention to the road it could have been a problem. I used to fly Airbuses for years so I’m used to keeping an eye on the autopilot

The day after my 2021 arrived I had 3 pretty severe PB in the first 90 minutes on the motorway. Severe enough to snap me forward in the seat.
It's had three software updates since then, but I haven't tested it again in the Mway.

Does anyone have a report of an actual PB causing and accident? I’ve already posted I think I got lucky my car has PB once on a freeway and it definitely got my attention but it was far from a dangerous situation. Maybe if I was playing video games instead of paying attention to the road it could have been a problem. I used to fly Airbuses for years so I’m used to keeping an eye on the autopilot

The difference is that you were highly trained on the 'Bus and knew what to expect in the various failure modes.
Tesla don't give ANY information on the way the automatics work or are programmed, which is why there's no agreement here on how, why or when these "features" (a la Micro$oft) manifest.
It would be like me climbing into an Airbus and being expected to drive the thing without any background.

Reactions: Iain
The difference is that you were highly trained on the 'Bus and knew what to expect in the various failure modes.
Tesla don't give ANY information on the way the automatics work or are programmed, which is why there's no agreement here on how, why or when these "features" (a la Micro$oft) manifest.
It would be like me climbing into an Airbus and being expected to drive the thing without any background.

well, you do make a valid point and I did need some adjustment time to get comfortable with “autopilot “ What’s fairly obvious when watching video of the people with the early full FSD beta is their different comfort levels. Some of them disengage at the first sign of trouble while others let the car go a lot further. Since this about PB I’m just not sure if all cars are equal because I read a lot of people having problems where they feel they can’t even use autopilot while some of us have very few issues and absolutely love it.

Wol747....I take it you are on the whale :)

well, you do make a valid point and I did need some adjustment time to get comfortable with “autopilot “ What’s fairly obvious when watching video of the people with the early full FSD beta is their different comfort levels. Some of them disengage at the first sign of trouble while others let the car go a lot further. Since this about PB I’m just not sure if all cars are equal because I read a lot of people having problems where they feel they can’t even use autopilot while some of us have very few issues and absolutely love it.

Wol747....I take it you are on the whale :)

-744 and retired 23 years ago!

Reactions: Iain
Do tell us how you do it! I’d say you have been extraordinarily lucky.
Nowt I’ve done I’m sure!
I dont do big motorway miles but drove from Yorkshire to Eindhoven and back and also 1500-2000 UK motorway miles and haven’t experienced any severe PB. On reflection I vaguely recall having had 1 episode where there was some unexpected braking but it was pretty gentle didnt feel risky at all and no episodes since hence I always use AP when I’m on the motorway. BTW I dont have the FSD upgrade so only have basic level AP without lane change.

My good experience with AP/TACC did make me wonder if only those with bad experiences are posting but it seems like I’m pretty much in a minority of 1 with my lack if problems with PB. Lucky I guess!!

I do routinely update to latest software which hasnt caused any AP problems. Voice commands however remain pretty useless (open glovebox excluded)though thankfully asking siri works great for hands free music selection

Last edited:
Moderator comment - post moved from "Bad Phantom Braking Incident" - to help keep topics together please try and post to existing threads if a thread on same subject already exists.

Hi guys,

Really bad incident today on the A1.

heading back from a nice day out in York with my family, was using TACC, travelling 65mph and the anchors literally slammed on for no reason whatsoever, ridiculous. Had my daughter crying, my wife panicking like hell. There was nothing anywhere near us, closest traffic was a truck about 100 metres in front of me, in another lane.

This is the first time this happened to me, what’s going on?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys,

Really bad incident today on the A1.

heading back from a nice day out in York with my family, was using TACC, travelling 65mph and the anchors literally slammed on for no reason whatsoever, ridiculous. Had my daughter crying, my wife panicking like hell. There was nothing anywhere near us, closest traffic was a truck about 100 metres in front of me, in another lane.

This is the first time this happened to me, what’s going on?

It's a lot cheaper and safer to get scared shitless at alton towers than buy a Tesla....

I'm on 48.10 and a wide A road i used FSD on happily for months just turned into a potential death trap with my S deciding to hop into a right turn slip lane instead of staying left. I didn't wait to find out what it would have done at the end of that...

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
It's a lot cheaper and safer to get scared shitless at alton towers than buy a Tesla....

I'm on 48.10 and a wide A road i used FSD on happily for months just turned into a potential death trap with my S deciding to hop into a right turn slip lane instead of staying left. I didn't wait to find out what it would have done at the end of that...
That’s what I’m on, 48.10

Today was horrendous, middle of a motorway!