Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Photos of car interior taken apart for sound deadening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... even though the white side of the acoustic material is pressed against the glass, is does not show from the outside.
Very interesting. Can you post some photos of the Thinsulate in place?
I took some photos and realized that the camera showed what I could not see in person--the Thinsulate IS visible! :scared: I am applying a black fabric to the top of the Thinsulate & will take photos tomorrow morning. I have ordered black speaker cloth for the bottom side & will take inside photos after it is installed. Furthermore, while "reinstalling the Thinsulate takes less than a minute," it takes longer to get the fabric to lay flat.

I intend to upgrade the sound system of my Model S, when I get it later this year.

I would like to install a Focal 3-way set of front speakers (and a 12" sub in a custom box). My Model S will have the standard sound system.
- What is the maximum mounting depth for the 6" woofer in the front door?
- What is the maximum mounting depth for the 3"mid in the dashboard?
- If you have the standard sound system (with only the factory mid-woofer and tweeter installed), is the space in the dashboard available to install a 3" midrange? When you take the Ultra Hifi set, it holds factory installed 3" speakers in the dash, but is this space actually also there (obviously without the speakers) when you have the standard audio? And is the cover open (perforated) to allow the sound to come through?
- Waht modifications would I need to make to the 12V system to allow for high powered amps?
Any advice is highly appreciated.
Thanks

I guess its a good thing then my previous car was a 2006 4Runner. My 2013 Model S is definitely quieter than that. :) Ignorance is bliss, or so they say!

Ha ha. True. Our car prior the the 2014 was a diesel, so the 2014 Tesla was a huge improvement. Not saying the 2014 and earlier cars were loud...but because the driveline is so quiet, you notice things you didn't hear before. I think the biggest improvement in the 2015 cars was the reduction in road and wheel well noise. Engine noise seems a little less as well.

Ha ha. True. Our car prior the the 2014 was a diesel, so the 2014 Tesla was a huge improvement. Not saying the 2014 and earlier cars were loud...but because the driveline is so quiet, you notice things you didn't hear before. I think the biggest improvement in the 2015 cars was the reduction in road and wheel well noise. Engine noise seems a little less as well.

I will admit that my 2013 could use better soundproofing. A few days ago I freaked out on the interstate because I thought it hit something that was flapping against my car's body. Looking around, I see a look flap hitting the work truck next to me. Scared the heck out of me, but thankfully my car had no damage (I pulled over and checked after grabbing their license plate just in case).

New cars are definitely quieter. I read before ordering our June 2015 MS that Tesla was improving sound insulation. Sure enough, the new car is much quieter than our Sept 2014 MS.

if someone is brave enough to go digging around in a very recent delivery Model S to see how it compares to OPs pictures that would be really interesting to see how tesla has changed the sound deadening

With the mass loaded vinyl plastered on the front doors, does it make it hard for servicing (doing door handle replacements) when needed ... have you faced that issue yet? The deadening material getting in the way, and adding hours to the labour to R&R that.. to get broken parts. Just wondering what the SC has had to say if they faced it. Does this material "peel off" nicely enough that will allow work, and then re-stick when the work is done?

With the mass loaded vinyl plastered on the front doors, does it make it hard for servicing (doing door handle replacements) when needed ... have you faced that issue yet? The deadening material getting in the way, and adding hours to the labour to R&R that.. to get broken parts. Just wondering what the SC has had to say if they faced it. Does this material "peel off" nicely enough that will allow work, and then re-stick when the work is done?

Not a problem with my SC.

- - - Updated - - -

New cars are definitely quieter. I read before ordering our June 2015 MS that Tesla was improving sound insulation. Sure enough, the new car is much quieter than our Sept 2014 MS.

True, which is why it makes no sense for folks with newer cars to spend a dime on sound deadening. But it's a different story for those of us with older Model S's.

I've never needed work on any of my doors. That said, yes, the material peels off easily enough, and I have enough mass loaded vinyl scraps in my garage to reinstall what I put on my door even if service personal should throw away what they remove.

Great pics. I want to correct you on something though. Those vents are not there to make door closing easier, they're there to give air a place to go in the event the air bags blow. They need to displace air quickly, all vehicles have that.

...These next photos show the driver's side rear wheel well. Notice both the vents to equalize pressure when the doors are closed and the presence of one dinky factory installed sound dampening squares.

View attachment 57525

I am trying to do some similar soundproofing for my door, however, I am having a hard time to put the panel back tightly after all CCF and MLV. I noticed your door trim panel retainers are different than mine, you have those two pieces Pin & Grommet type. Are those original or aftermarket? thanks

Original I think, unless the people who did the work changed them out, which I seriously doubt.