Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politics - Quarantine Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it is brutal that we can only deduct a 1/2 million dollars for real estate interest on new homes. How can you even start to shop for a house when you must shop for homes no more expensive than $45,000 a month payments!@!! Think about the poor and middle class!! Where are they going to live???

The proposal means you can only deduct the interest paid on the first $500k of your new homes mortgage. It doesn't mean you can deduct $500k in interest.

This is the federal tax code. It applies to more states than just California. It's an interesting quirk of our federal government.

Uh... I hope this doesn't force you to refile for past years, there is no Federal Real Property Tax is there? ;)

I think the reason why is because the Feds are the #1 property owner, and I don't think they could afford it...

Or you can go the GOP route and enrage most people while allowing the national dept to spiral out of control in order enrich the 1%.

Oh my... we're going to go that way? Where was the concern with what happened with the debt over the past 8 years when spending hit unprecedented levels?

It seems people only become concerned about the national debt when the political party they disagree with is in power.

This info-graphic is potentially biased (I'm not sure it takes capital gains income into account which accounts for much of the wealth of .1% types) but does indicate that those in the middle of the road are getting a better tax cut percentage wise than the wealthy do.... It's also worth noting there are far fewer of people at the higher income level to make tax contributions.

The hypothetical family below with a $2M annual income get a 5% break the $85,000 middle average family gets a 10% break.

Fed-Filers-Final1.png

Reactions: bkp_duke
Oh my... we're going to go that way? Where was the concern with what happened with the debt over the past 8 years when spending hit unprecedented levels?

It seems people only become concerned about the national debt when the political party they disagree with is in power.

This info-graphic is potentially biased (I'm not sure it takes capital gains income into account which accounts for much of the wealth of .1% types) but does indicate that those in the middle of the road are getting a better tax cut percentage wise than the wealthy do.... It's also worth noting there are far fewer of people at the higher income level to make tax contributions.

The hypothetical family below with a $2M annual income get a 5% break the $85,000 middle average family gets a 10% break.

Fed-Filers-Final1.png

Finally, someone that can bring some hard numbers to this thread where everyone is running around with their hair on fire.

Reactions: voip-ninja
The more I'm looking at this tax plan, the worse it looks for my family. This $7500 savings is just one more hosing.
I can't believe they will 2x tax citizens (taxed on state and local taxes).
If anyone deserves to be hosed, it is Ohio citizens who gave their State to what Secretary of State Tillerson calls a moron. Congratulations Ohio, you got what you voted for. And this is only the beginning. #RESIST

The more I'm looking at this tax plan, the worse it looks for my family. This $7500 savings is just one more hosing.
I can't believe they will 2x tax citizens (taxed on state and local taxes).

I live in CA, and even I think we should not be able to write-off our state and local taxes on the federal taxes. Why should federal tax payers subsidize those people that chose to live in high-tax areas?

It is strange how an individual can be discriminated against based on how hard they work and the financial benefit of that hard work.
It is strange that some people feel they are entitled because they come from a certain ethno-economic background. I know a lot of Mexicans who work a hell of a lot harder out in the fields than someone in a nice cushy office. SAD!

I know and understand that.

It also means that states like CA with high tax rates will have these taxes brought front and center into the spotlight. I would LOVE for the idiots up in Sacramento to be put under a microscope.
Good luck with that since the Dems have, thankfully, a super majority. I suppose some would like to go back to the Terminator years when the State was on the verge of bankruptcy. If the people in Sacramento are 'idiots", count me proudly among them. We are now the fifth or sixth largest economy in the world, but we could always MCMA (Make California Mediocre Again) by getting rid of those "idiots" in Sacramento.

Since people cannot think beyond the "current year", let's phrase this differently:

Would you rather have a $7500 one-time tax incentive now, or say $2500/year more take-home income?
Yes, that is the "Party of NO" talking point. Too bad it is not true since the tax rate for the lowest wage earners goes from 10% to 12% and a lot of standard deductions are eliminated. SAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.