Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politics - Quarantine Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember reading somewhere that this forum was all about Tesla cars...

You're correct, which is also what I would like to discuss. However, the very subject matter of this thread and the original incident that prompted it appears to have an (indirect?) tie-in to philosophical beliefs, facts that appear to not be well-known, and a general brashness/mischievious behavior that seems prompted by some of the current political divide. I too would rather politics not enter a car forum, yet there in full color is the picture at the top of this thread.

You're correct, which is also what I would like to discuss. However, the very subject matter of this thread and the original incident that prompted it appears to have an (indirect?) tie-in to philosophical beliefs, facts that appear to not be well-known, and a general brashness/mischievious behavior that seems prompted by some of the current political divide. I too would rather politics not enter a car forum, yet there in full color is the picture at the top of this thread.
Plenty of us own Tesla’s because we like the car and it has nothing to do with political leanings.

You are giving these morons too much credit for being informed on any issues. They are ignorant bullies with nothing going on in their lives. Let’s just leave it at that and take the politics somewhere else.

You are giving these morons too much credit for being informed on any issues. They are ignorant bullies with nothing going on in their lives.

I hope you're right. The problem is, I've never seen such behavior targeting diesels, RVs, foreign autos, or any other such automotive subgroup. I can't help but think that there's more to it than bullies and mischief.

I hope you're right. The problem is, I've never seen such behavior targeting diesels, RVs, foreign autos, or any other such automotive subgroup. I can't help but think that there's more to it than bullies and mischief.
I think we went through a period of anti-“Jap” vehicles. There just wasn’t the easily accessible outlet SCs provide.

Plenty of us own Tesla’s because we like the car and it has nothing to do with political leanings.

It matters not. The Tribe cannot abide deviation from the Emotional List of Good & Bad. You've made a choice and, your intentions notwithstanding, by it you have cast your lot with Them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You are giving these morons too much credit for being informed on any issues.

Who suggested this was the case? It's not really about policy on merits and likely outcomes so being informed isn't a requirement. Ill-informed is hardly a barrier to full participation in the tribal culture wars, really in some quarters it's a flat out requirement. That's as much the "great divide" as anything, ignorance as a virtue in the culture war. Knowledge and expertise as a vice.

That's how a well educated, intellectually hard worker that aims at using their office for all citizens, rather than just those that voted for him, becomes a "great divider". :rolleyes: ((Well that coupled with a few even less savory things that aren't really the doing of the "great divider", but no need to get into that here.))

Last edited:

You are giving these morons too much credit for being informed on any issues. They are ignorant bullies with nothing going on in their lives. Let’s just leave it at that and take the politics somewhere else.

Democracy would work best when people are not ignorant. How widespread the ignorance is and the subsequent identity of the current president is the prime example of failure of democracy. Dismissing the ignorant invites disaster. Wasn't Germany a democracy before 1933?

I've had people flip me the bird while driving for no reason at all. I was not driving slow in left lane, or blocking them at all. I was doing nothing provocative at all. The only thing I could come up with was the Tesla.

I truly have no idea what the problem is. What faulty logic or intentional propaganda is leading to this type of behavior by the moronic?

Why does someone else's choice to buy and drive a clean, American made vehicle offend them so much?

Tesla obviously represents something anti-patriotic, anti-American, anti-coal, anti-climate-denier, anti-Fox-news, or something to these dolts and their handlers.

Perhaps it is just another symptom of the mass propaganda that permeates our society, in particular certain media outlets, designed to create visceral, while irrational and illogical, support for a position in intelectually challenged and persuadable individuals, for the benefit of certain financial interests.

Reactions: Mader Levap
I've had people flip me the bird while driving for no reason at all. I was not driving slow in left lane, or blocking them at all. I was doing nothing provocative at all. The only thing I could come up with was the Tesla.

I truly have no idea what the problem is. What faulty logic or intentional propaganda is leading to this type of behavior by the moronic?

Why does someone else's choice to buy and drive a clean, American made vehicle offend them so much?

Tesla obviously represents something anti-patriotic, anti-American, anti-coal, anti-climate-denier, anti-Fox-news, or something to these dolts and their handlers.

Perhaps it is just another symptom of the mass propaganda that permeates our society, in particular certain media outlets, designed to create visceral, while irrational and illogical, support for a position in intelectually challenged and persuadable individuals, for the benefit of certain financial interests.

You can better understand the behavior if you go to a BMW/Audi/MB/muscle-car forum and look at the people that angrily pop into those threads comparing the Model 3 to fill-in-the-blank car.

Some people are angry because Tesla got federal funds, others are angry because "their" tax dollars are being used to give the new owner of an expensive vehicle a tax subsidy. Others are angry because the car is made in California.

Yet others are angry because they don't like that Tesla is bucking the status quo... or their investment guy told them Tesla is a sham operation being run by a flim-flam con man.

Generally though it's just people frightened of change and I certainly haven't observed those people to be overwhelmingly on one side of the political divide or the other.

To act as though this problem did not exist pre-Trump is absolultey ridiculous, Obama was one of this countries greatest dividers with regards to race and class and this was going on on BOTH sides long before Obama was president so please don't be so naive to think this is all new, more polarizing yes, not so new

How do you mute idiots on TMC?

To act as though this problem did not exist pre-Trump is absolultey ridiculous, Obama was one of this countries greatest dividers with regards to race and class and this was going on on BOTH sides long before Obama was president so please don't be so naive to think this is all new, more polarizing yes, not so new

Did it occur before? Yes, but it was shamed upon and not publicized. Trump gave a voice all the silent masses who weren't doing *sugar* like this because "it wasn't what everyone was doing". You can be as racist and close minded as you want when you're not a public person who's supposed to lead by example.

Reactions: APotatoGod
You can better understand the behavior if you go to a BMW/Audi/MB/muscle-car forum and look at the people that angrily pop into those threads comparing the Model 3 to fill-in-the-blank car.

Some people are angry because Tesla got federal funds, others are angry because "their" tax dollars are being used to give the new owner of an expensive vehicle a tax subsidy. Others are angry because the car is made in California.

Yet others are angry because they don't like that Tesla is bucking the status quo... or their investment guy told them Tesla is a sham operation being run by a flim-flam con man.

Generally though it's just people frightened of change and I certainly haven't observed those people to be overwhelmingly on one side of the political divide or the other.
The manufacturers of those trucks got a lot of federal aide in the bailouts.

San Francisco’s homeless are mostly working poor that got priced out of their tiny apartments by wealthy techies...

That's laughably false in so many ways... San Francisco's homeless are mostly societal degenerates who flock to SF because of the climate and the never ending list of free stuff... A VERY small portion are actually those who were priced out...

Jeff

• Disagree
Reactions: Kichwas
That's laughably false in so many ways... San Francisco's homeless are mostly societal degenerates who flock to SF because of the climate and the never ending list of free stuff... A VERY small portion are actually those who were priced out...

Jeff
Have you ever been to my hometown? Doubt it. If you have, I actually hope they key you. Your attitude is why the problems exist.

Somewhere above half of all San Francisco homeless are former residents. Mostly renters, likely some owners who lost in the financial collapse.
- read studies done by the city itself on the growing problem.

Gentrification has resulted in extreme displacement as prices have become insane and rent control has been undermined. Economists and Urban Planners disagree on whether or not rent control helped create the problem and I am actually undecided there... but in the short term removing it from a unit puts the tenants on the street.

Social degenerates?

Is that code for classism, racism, or both?
Try approaching this without right wing... or even left wing... talking points...

Very few of those homeless are addicts or mentally ill. A decade ago they were, but not since. The change probably started a while ago, bit it sped up in 2008 for what should be obvious reasons. A complete failure of policy has then led to the current situation - a city who’s streets resemble a Cyberpunk novel where the richest people on Earth (I am no 1%er like some of my friends but I am in what they’re starting to call the 9%... which is basically tech workers and those like us) walk right next to some of the poorest on the West Coast, the class of folks I grew up in.

You can leave value judgements about the poor at the door... who they are and what set of people they were a decade ago is just fact. As is the fact that most of those homeless and almost-on-the-streets folks here actually work and have jobs... but if you make under maybe $75,000 in this town you’re likely going to be if not already homeless...
(I may no longer live in The City, but I do live across the Bay).

I am not justifying them keying anyone except you... I am just saying they have a lot of resentment and they’re looking for targets and there is this false belief that a Tesla must belong to the person they imagine kicked them out of their place...
Justified? No. But I am also not surprised... As your own post so aptly demonstrates... rationality just isn’t part of how people conduct themselves or think anymore...

• Informative
Reactions: ilg
Have you ever been to my hometown? Doubt it. If you have, I actually hope they key you. Your attitude is why the problems exist.

Somewhere above half of all San Francisco homeless are former residents. Mostly renters, likely some owners who lost in the financial collapse.
- read studies done by the city itself on the growing problem.

Gentrification has resulted in extreme displacement as prices have become insane and rent control has been undermined. Economists and Urban Planners disagree on whether or not rent control helped create the problem and I am actually undecided there... but in the short term removing it from a unit puts the tenants on the street.

Social degenerates?

Is that code for classism, racism, or both?
Try approaching this without right wing... or even left wing... talking points...

Very few of those homeless are addicts or mentally ill. A decade ago they were, but not since. The change probably started a while ago, bit it sped up in 2008 for what should be obvious reasons. A complete failure of policy has then led to the current situation - a city who’s streets resemble a Cyberpunk novel where the richest people on Earth (I am no 1%er like some of my friends but I am in what they’re starting to call the 9%... which is basically tech workers and those like us) walk right next to some of the poorest on the West Coast, the class of folks I grew up in.

You can leave value judgements about the poor at the door... who they are and what set of people they were a decade ago is just fact. As is the fact that most of those homeless and almost-on-the-streets folks here actually work and have jobs... but if you make under maybe $75,000 in this town you’re likely going to be if not already homeless...
(I may no longer live in The City, but I do live across the Bay).

I am not justifying them keying anyone except you... I am just saying they have a lot of resentment and they’re looking for targets and there is this false belief that a Tesla must belong to the person they imagine kicked them out of their place...
Justified? No. But I am also not surprised... As your own post so aptly demonstrates... rationality just isn’t part of how people conduct themselves or think anymore...

Broke my BS-o-meter!

Status
Not open for further replies.