Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politics - Quarantine Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever been to my hometown? Doubt it. If you have, I actually hope they key you. Your attitude is why the problems exist.

Somewhere above half of all San Francisco homeless are former residents. Mostly renters, likely some owners who lost in the financial collapse.
- read studies done by the city itself on the growing problem.

Gentrification has resulted in extreme displacement as prices have become insane and rent control has been undermined. Economists and Urban Planners disagree on whether or not rent control helped create the problem and I am actually undecided there... but in the short term removing it from a unit puts the tenants on the street.

Social degenerates?

Is that code for classism, racism, or both?
Try approaching this without right wing... or even left wing... talking points...

Very few of those homeless are addicts or mentally ill. A decade ago they were, but not since. The change probably started a while ago, bit it sped up in 2008 for what should be obvious reasons. A complete failure of policy has then led to the current situation - a city who’s streets resemble a Cyberpunk novel where the richest people on Earth (I am no 1%er like some of my friends but I am in what they’re starting to call the 9%... which is basically tech workers and those like us) walk right next to some of the poorest on the West Coast, the class of folks I grew up in.

You can leave value judgements about the poor at the door... who they are and what set of people they were a decade ago is just fact. As is the fact that most of those homeless and almost-on-the-streets folks here actually work and have jobs... but if you make under maybe $75,000 in this town you’re likely going to be if not already homeless...
(I may no longer live in The City, but I do live across the Bay).

I am not justifying them keying anyone except you... I am just saying they have a lot of resentment and they’re looking for targets and there is this false belief that a Tesla must belong to the person they imagine kicked them out of their place...
Justified? No. But I am also not surprised... As your own post so aptly demonstrates... rationality just isn’t part of how people conduct themselves or think anymore...

I live just as close to SF as you do... I work in the city so yeah... I know what I'm talking about. Your post is so full of crap it's insane... Then you want them to commit violence against my property? Yeah... That sounds like SF to me.

I'll say it again, social degenerates...

If you can't afford to live here, move. It's really that simple.

Jeff

• Disagree
Reactions: kavyboy and ilg
#fakenews
Sorry, but using that term only highlights what's wrong with the roughly 25 to 30% of the population that agrees with whatever 45 does or says. If you mean to apply it to the "news-people" (read: talking hand puppets at the "Wolf" Network, to borrow a term from Murphy Brown), then I will agree with you.

Sorry for the soapbox rant... mods can move/delete as they see fit. I myself am an admin at a Thinkpad forum so I know this post may be OT.

Reactions: JRP3
I check mine whenever the weather changes by more than about 15 degrees F, and keep them at 44-45 psi cold.

Got to love liberals......
I disagree/despise liberals on about 80% of their agenda, but not sure how his comment could be interpreted as coming from a liberal. If anything, encouraging personal responsibility is the antithesis of what the liberal political establishment pushes.

Got to love liberals......

If people want to kill themselves doing stupid crap, I have no issue. When a person dies doing something stupid, they will be remembered lovingly as someone who made a dumb decision. When someone hurts or kills someone else because they made a dumb decision, they should always be remembered as a scumbag.

In other words: Want to pull out your airbags and seatbelts? Cool, have fun. Want to run bald, underinflated tires? F off.

If people want to kill themselves doing stupid crap, I have no issue. When a person dies doing something stupid, they will be remembered lovingly as someone who made a dumb decision. When someone hurts or kills someone else because they made a dumb decision, they should always be remembered as a scumbag.

In other words: Want to pull out your airbags and seatbelts? Cool, have fun. Want to run bald, underinflated tires? F off.
What about not vaccinating and starting an outbreak?

What about not vaccinating and starting an outbreak?

That's pretty far off topic but I'll bite. VOLUNTARY failure to vaccinate is one of the dumbest f'ing things a person can do. Medically-necessary failure to vaccinate, e.g., someone with a compromised immune system, is obviously not a situation someone is in by choice. Furthermore, I don't think anyone who chooses not to vaccinate their children should be eligible for any tax credits, tax deductions, or any other subsidies of their dumb life.

Basic rule of thumb: What consenting adults do amongst themselves ain't any of my business as long as they don't put my health or property at risk. Want to drink bleach and then have fappy time with sandpaper? That ain't my problem. Want to juggle live grenades at the mall? Gonna have to say that's not cool.

The Tesla fire sale overshadowed Space X and the Model Y launch. It ended up alienating so many people. I wanted to compile all of the anger and ridiculousness in one place as I find the whole thing to be an interesting and amusing display of modern human thinking. I’m not denying my own involvement in any of this.

The Story:

1. Tesla went on a price dropping spree that saw buyers who bought days before miss out on better deals. Tesla ignored their calls and the anger began to grow because recent buyers wanted the best deal. Tesla announced the store closures which alienated many of their employees and hurt confidence in the stock.

2. The backlash grew so much that Tesla decided to offer a sale on AP+FSD. The $5k total price was for people who didn’t buy either before and was meant to offset price drops. All of the early adopters who bought FSD before were now furious that it was $3k cheaper, so a new mob emerged on social media. All the people with EAP also got mad because they still had to pay $2k for FSD. Customer service reps were misinformed about giving free AP and FSD to customers who bought in 2019. There were reports of undelivered cars getting free upgrades, but it didn’t seem to apply to delivered cars.

3. The crying grew so loud that Tesla suddenly decided to keep half its stores open and raise prices and end the sale. They of course extended it a couple days and then raised prices back to higher than people expected. Now a new mob of people formed who feel they weren’t told about the sale.

So now there are all these mobs on social media:

1. The price dropped too quickly and we didn’t get a refund mob.
2. The why did undelivered cars get free FSD and no one else did mob.
3. The why did you sell ap+fsd for $5k to people who didn’t preorder mob.
4. The why did you promise me free ap or fsd and not deliver mob.
5. The why did you close the stores mob.
6. The why do you want $2k for FSD when I already bought EAP mob.
7. The why does the new AP not have auto lane change mob.
8. And my favorite new FOMO mob, the why didn’t you give me a chance to get the deal mob.

There are two takeaways:

1. Tesla makes crazy decisions that change day to day and they are not afraid to go back on any of them. This is a shock to many consumers who expect them to behave like every other luxury car maker.

2. People act like they are in some kind of competitive feeding frenzy. Perceived unfairness brings out the worst in everyone and they all attack each other. No one cares about anyone else unless it touches them personally.
You must remember, we have moved into a stage of this country's life, where being a victim is celebrated....so we see 'victims' everywhere....... I'm ready to vote for a requirement of military service for 1yr, for every 18yr....no exceptions....someone has to kick these babies in the butt/pull their heads out, and get them into adulthood!

Wow, you guys are something else. Here we have a VP that is way more bullish on space than previous administrations, and all you can do is dump on him. I guess partisan politics is the most important thing to some people.
I don’t want to initiate a partisan political discussion here. I simply don’t believe that Pence is mouthing more than empty words. I have my reasons for believing that, but if I express those reasons that will likely derail this thread into politics.

Reactions: bxr140 and Bobfitz1
Wow, you guys are something else. Here we have a VP that is way more bullish on space than previous administrations, and all you can do is dump on him. I guess partisan politics is the most important thing to some people.

I don't think it's "partisan politics", it's accounting 101. We are running TRILLION dollar annual deficits BY CHOICE during a time of economic expansion. This is unprecedented during peacetime. With the economy showing signs of a slowdown this deficit may explode. The government will be hard pressed to maintain even the most basic of services, forget everything else. Mr. Pence can't have it both ways. How can you have space travel if you can't even fund the Special Olympics?

Point taken. I'd like to believe that if 8 years ago VP Joe Biden talked up a similar pork barreling, financially hollow, reelection timed five year lunar landing commitment, he'd get the same amount of razzing.

Reactions: ecarfan and Grendal

Except that...because the current administration is soooo overtly and damagingly partisan, any responsible human has to approach everything that comes out of the administration with an unprecedented amount of skepticism and concern. The current administration's agenda is so unapologetically pro-Republican that any honest American has to question how and where each new policy blatantly dismisses the nation's strong desire for a pro-American agenda before accepting that policy as good faith and for the people.

In other words, any logical person has to ask: What's the catch? What's their angle?

Except that...because the current administration is soooo overtly and damagingly partisan, any responsible human has to approach everything that comes out of the administration with an unprecedented amount of skepticism and concern. The current administration's agenda is so unapologetically pro-Republican that any honest American has to question how and where each new policy blatantly dismisses the nation's strong desire for a pro-American agenda before accepting that policy as good faith and for the people.

In other words, any logical person has to ask: What's the catch? What's their angle?

The Obama administration was just as overtly and damagingly partisan.

And accusing the Trump administration of not being pro-American is, um, an interesting worldview considering their political brand is America First.

But if you find some devious angle to increasing NASA’s budget in nominal terms, and pushing for more involvement of the American commercial sector in space, please let us know.

Edit: Btw, most of the Republican leadership do not like Trump, and many Trump policies are in opposition to Republican positions. For example, most of the Republican leadership do not like Trump’s illegal immigration stance one bit (the business lobby wants cheap imported labor). His trade stance is also in opposition to most Republicans.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: plumazul
Status
Not open for further replies.