Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll - 14 day EAP trial!

If you have received your EAP trial, based upon the trial have you (for the car)

• decided to buy FSD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • decided to buy EAP - I was planning to anyway

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • decided to buy EAP - I was not planning to but liked what I saw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • decided not to buy EAP - I was planning to but found it not to my liking

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • decided not to buy EAP - I wasn't planning to anyway

Votes: 82 52.2%
  • not made up my mind yet

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • previously purchased EAP or FSD

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • not been offered the trial

Votes: 35 22.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During initial talks after I placed the order few weeks ago, Tesla adviser has been recommending me to buy the EAP for the UK roads (obviously on the basis that FSD is not there yet for the UK).
He also said he's been using it himself for lane changes and parking.

I'm curious if he already knew about the EOL of EAP by the end of Q1 ;)

Been out this morning to give it all a whirl.

Summon; As noted here is good for moving the car backward and forward a few meters. But that's about it
Smart Summon: I did take the car to an Empty Supermarket Car Park last night. Got it to drive out from a bay and around a bollard before the range copped out. Also had to walk alongside the car the whole time to maintain signal. Great gimmick, but no practical use I can see as of yet.
Auto Lane Change: Works great! Probably the beast feature of EAP. Slap on the turn signal and it will move over-lane without having to re-engage AP.
Auto Park: Gave it a whirl just now. Works decent, and seems to be fine managing small spaces. However alot slower than how I'd normally park.

NOA: Not great.. had a number of issues in my 1 hour Motorway drive this morning. I understand that the Lane Change is limited by law, but the lane change 'suggestions' are still a little barmy.

- Instantly moving to the middle lane after entering into the inside lane, to 'follow route' (I assume this is because American on and off ramps tend to share the inside lane. Which isn't typical in the UK. Hence the Car is expecting the inside lane to come off the Motorway)

- Dominance on the Middle Lane & generally being a Middle-Lane hogger. The car rarely wanted to move to the inside lane from the middle, vs. outside to middle (Could be because of the reasoning above?)

- Constantly requesting to move away from 'Cones' that are in the Hard-Shoulder and not on the Inside lane.

- Requesting to move to the Outside lane from middle to overtake, wayy too early; where if I had accept I would have been flashed for only going 1mph faster than the middle lane.

- Indicating to come off at a Slip-road far too late (Typically by the point that it's already making the manoeuvre). I'd typically put on the indicator when I see the count-down markers for the junction.

Tried EAP Chester-Heswall this morning - M53 outbound used Standard setting, return used Mad Max.

On joining the motorway it wanted to move to the middle lane even though the inside was clear so that left a highlighted blue-grey car shape on screen in the centre lane & anything passing me with a red warning. Overtaking kept aborting (more so on Mad Max) & it left at the off-ramp full speed & with almost no warning.

Overall it was neither relaxing nor impressive. Part way home I reverted to standard AP (which also disabled Angry Wife Mode).

Retired & rarely using motorways, I had never seen the benefit of this or FSD for the UK so it's been good to see confirmation of my decision (have tried both 'Smart' Summon & Park Assist in the USA & already felt these were useless so no need to test here).

EAP (beta):
Not impressed!
All I get is Summon failed! and I’ve got no idea how the parking feature works, no recognition of parking bays.
Anyone got a clue how it works?

Parking doesn't understand bays, it can only park between two parked cars (and only then if they're sufficient distance to recognise it).

Summon is an interesting party trick that you'll use once then forget about :p

NOA: Not great.. had a number of issues in my 1 hour Motorway drive this morning. I understand that the Lane Change is limited by law, but the lane change 'suggestions' are still a little barmy.
Yes it's always been like that.. it's a complete middle lane hogger and if you let it it'll try to go into the right lane as it's 'faster' even if you're going at the speed limit.

I'm thankful we don't have unconfirmed lane changes in this country.. teslas would be all over the road..

Short trip up and down the M60 and M56 confirms I’ll not be buying this. As has been said already, it wants to move to the right and is very reluctant to move to the inside lane after an overtake. Off ramp signalling is too late and it picked the wrong lane to dump me in when handing back control.

I’ll have a longer play Saturday on a trip to from Manchester to Derby but I’m not expecting much.

Reactions: OttoR
Short trip up and down the M60 and M56 confirms I’ll not be buying this. As has been said already, it wants to move to the right and is very reluctant to move to the inside lane after an overtake. Off ramp signalling is too late and it picked the wrong lane to dump me in when handing back control.

I’ll have a longer play Saturday on a trip to from Manchester to Derby but I’m not expecting much.
I was actually really impressed with auto lane change on a short drive along the motorway today. Not so much with NoA, first off ramp I tried was fine, second decided to move me into the fast lane of a two lane dual carriageway!

Tried to test autopark, but found myself in a weird situation of trying to find a car park that was busy enough to have two cars parked with a single space between them yet quiet enough not to have witnesses. I failed so will have to try again another day.

Summon will have limited uses, smart summon I'm struggling to think of a use case for given how restricted it currently is.

It's a hard sell for me, would love the additional tech but I'm just not doing the miles to warrant the cost. I worked from home pre-covid and will likely continue doing so post-covid. Driving is more of a weekend pleasure and I enjoy the physical connection between the pedals and the steering wheel when driving is for leisure.

Also hard to know what impact the FSD subscription will have. Will they have two subscription levels to cater for those with EAP > FSD and AP > FSD? Will EAP be available as a subscription on it's own? And what will the cost be? So many unknowns currently that make a difficult case for purchasing it when the trial expires.

Regardless, I'm really thankful to Tesla for the opportunity to try it out for longer than 48 hours without putting any money on the table. I'm not certain but I can't think of any other automotive manufacturer who provide their customers with unexpected gifts such as these.

Tried to test autopark, but found myself in a weird situation of trying to find a car park that was busy enough to have two cars parked with a single space between them yet quiet enough not to have witnesses. I failed so will have to try again another day.

Yes this baffles me, I guess it's for the situations some may be less confident with. But why not support parking behind or in front of a car in a street, for example, or into a marked parking space. I am not sure if it's purely sensor based or does use the cameras.

I was actually really impressed with auto lane change on a short drive along the motorway today. Not so much with NoA, first off ramp I tried was fine, second decided to move me into the fast lane of a two lane dual carriageway!

Summon will have limited uses, smart summon I'm struggling to think of a use case for given how restricted it currently is.

It's a hard sell for me, would love the additional tech but I'm just not doing the miles to warrant the cost. I worked from home pre-covid and will likely continue doing so post-covid. Driving is more of a weekend pleasure and I enjoy the physical connection between the pedals and the steering wheel when driving is for leisure.

Also hard to know what impact the FSD subscription will have. Will they have two subscription levels to cater for those with EAP > FSD and AP > FSD? Will EAP be available as a subscription on it's own? And what will the cost be? So many unknowns currently that make a difficult case for purchasing it when the trial expires.

Regardless, I'm really thankful to Tesla for the opportunity to try it out for longer than 48 hours without putting any money on the table. I'm not certain but I can't think of any other automotive manufacturer who provide their customers with unexpected gifts such as these.

Autopark works better for parallel parking. It's actually quite accurate in tight spaces and hasn't kerbed my MX in over 3 years. It's the one function of EAP that I"ve found genuinely useful (you can't see *sugar* out of an MX!) and fairly reliable in spotting spaces. I haven't found any need for it when parking between cars in bays and the odd time I've tried it was very slow. but got there in the end!

Reactions: Medved_77