Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Have you had to have your 12V battery replaced?

Have you had to have your 12V battery replaced?

• No

Votes: 269 49.4%
  • Yes, once

Votes: 213 39.2%
  • Yes, more than once

Votes: 62 11.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine was replaced on my X on the 6th day I had it. The car shut down completely. Tesla kept the car for 4 days. I drove it yesterday and today and when I tried to start the car at lunch time, there was another 12v message and the car wouldn't start. After returning from lunch, the car started. I finish work (recording film music) in an hour. I hope I can get home in it. It's Sunday. I'll take it to the Burbank dealership tomorrow.

Mine was replaced on my X on the 6th day I had it. The car shut down completely. Tesla kept the car for 4 days. I drove it yesterday and today and when I tried to start the car at lunch time, there was another 12v message and the car wouldn't start. After returning from lunch, the car started. I finish work (recording film music) in an hour. I hope I can get home in it. It's Sunday. I'll take it to the Burbank dealership tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about your woes!

Just got the 12V service warnings today and a vehicle no-start so it's off to the SC for my Model X. About 9k miles on Vin 807. My battery looks different than other's I've seen online. AtlasBx 60B19

Attachments

• 20161122_212216.jpg
    20161122_212216.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 88
My 4-month-old facelift S60D with 6400 miles gave me a Service Car warning message after I parked, and then refused to turn back on throwing the 12V error message this afternoon. Roadside assistance was helpful and quickly got me an Uber to Enterprise and scheduled a tow truck, but it seems crazy that a brand new battery would fail and render the car immobile (especially as this appears to be a widespread issue and is not new). Interested to see what the SC says...

My 4-month-old facelift S60D with 6400 miles gave me a Service Car warning message after I parked, and then refused to turn back on throwing the 12V error message this afternoon. Roadside assistance was helpful and quickly got me an Uber to Enterprise and scheduled a tow truck, but it seems crazy that a brand new battery would fail and render the car immobile (especially as this appears to be a widespread issue and is not new). Interested to see what the SC says...
Any updates @turbospecc - worried Tesla does not have the 12v battery failure under control yet for new (new!) cars. Yikes.

Any updates @turbospecc - worried Tesla does not have the 12v battery failure under control yet for new (new!) cars. Yikes.

Turns out it was a cable failure between the high-voltage battery and front drive unit. The 12V battery itself was fine, but the cable fault meant the 12V couldn't be recharged by the high-voltage one.

A bit scary that the cable would just fail with no warning and brick the car (they said no exterior damage, just an internal shortage/fault), but can't beat the efficiency of Tesla's roadside assistance.

76,500 miles just over 4 year old 2012 S85. Got a "Have 12v Battery serviced" notification, Ranger came 3 days later and swapped it out in about 30-45 minutes.

Did learn an interesting bit... Since the 12v is charged by the traction battery they can measure how much current is being used to charge the 12v. They do not measure the voltage of the 12v to determine when to put up the service notification, the measure how much it is drawing from the traction battery. I thought that was pretty cool and probably more accurate.

Got the error message on Jan 1 (HNY!) and had it replaced 3 days later. Since it was not dead, the Ranger would have cost a fortune so I drove it to my SC in Charlotte. 9 months & less than 4000 miles.

Attachments

• IMG_0075.JPG
    IMG_0075.JPG
    291.2 KB · Views: 51
I just got the message on my 13 month old S with 20,000 some miles.

Turns out my service center doesn't have a replacement for me and they are on back order it seems =/ they suggested I keep it plugged in and to keep driving it to try to keep the charge up in the battery. Hopefully it doesn't fail before they get a replacement in Stock but it's annoying I can't install the new software update with the warning.

Every car is different I'm sure but has anyone gotten the message then had the may not start red warning before replacing it and if so how much time passed between the warning and the failure?

Other question, would popping off the nose cone and hooking a trickle charger to the posts help charge it enough for the warning to go away?

I have read here & elsewhere that you can put a trickle charger on to "help" the 12v BUT once the error message pops up, it will not go away until the SC is able to access your car & reset it. Maybe Fremont can do it OTA but I did not pursue that nor ask. In my case, the error message came up after the 12v output status got below 12 volts for whatever reason (use, state-of-charge, cold temps, etc); when my SC checked it OTA, it showed it was fine @ 14.x volts but the error message will not go away until they go in & reset it.

Negative. After I replaced my battery I did not need to reset anything. The car reset the message on it's own. Before my project I confirmed this with the service center. The car will detect the change and reset itself.

How difficult and how much time did it take to replace the battery yourself? Did the replacement battery come from Tesla or is the 12 V a fairly generic battery?

Just got the 12v battery needs replaced soon notice 1/16. The Denver SC does not have any replacements and will let me know when one is avaliable, they did remotely check the logs on the car and said it should be ok untill a replacement is available. I hope they are right, they will call me to let me know once they have one for me. 59,750mi on my 2014 S85 now.