Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Is FSD Worth the Cost?

Which is the best value for the Model 3?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I appreciate everyone's comments.

The biggest concern I have of mine is whether or not FSD will ever be a useful reality. Tesla has proven an uncanny ability to exceed expectations with the physical product. I believe their software engineers are the best in the world, and the UI is among the best.

But Autopilot is still kind of glitchy, and I consider enhanced summon to be a complete disaster. if they have this much trouble getting the car to behave well in parking lots, how long will it take them to consistently handle itself on the road?

In its current form I think Autopilot is very useful, but not sure how much longer it would take for them to create a system that everyone would trust without constant supervision.

Well, ok, going from your profile picture...

FSD functionality is primarily cameras. It seems you're in an area with snow. You should be used to the warnings of "xyz camera dirty or obstructed", which also come at night.

To make progress with FSD, they need to depend on the cameras even more. But they're so easily blinded by winter grime, rain (fender cams at highway speeds collect a blob in front of the lens), their own condensation in winter (pillar cams), or just headlights from other drivers in the dark. AP essentially depends on just the front camera array. I often don't have the autopark prompt because something is wrong with one of the many more sensors it needs compared to highway driving.

With your current vehicle and current hardware (sensors and cameras) in such conditions, FSD has been demonstrably impossible. I personally believe they need to come out with ways to keep sensors clean and unobstructed, if for no other reason that highways in winter being a grimy mess.

EDIT: I'm not even talking about snowy/icy roads. That's a whole different problem we're even further away from.

Last edited:
Buying FSD in its current form is in many ways the same as buying the stock in a start-up before its blockbuster product comes to the market. You are betting on two things:
  1. The finished product will arrive eventually, and
  2. The stock price of the start-up will take off when 1. happens.
I'd say both are good bets, just that it may take much longer than Elon would like you to believe.

3. FSD will be implemented before it's time to trade in the car.

3. FSD will be implemented before it's time to trade in the car.
Software is a tricky sale when it comes to machines that are mobile, particularly ones moving in close proximity of other moving machines as greatly varied speeds. That, I think is Tesla’s greatest trick pulled on us as owners.

It should totally either be tied to the owner’s account like a login or as a subscription.

If FSD gets all the stuff its supposed to and you can get in your car and tell it where to go and it drives you through the city to the highway and back off the highway to your destination then it is indeed worth 7k. But its not there yet and thats a lot of coin to pay for something that might not be ready in the time that Ill actually own this car.

I bought FSD at $7K and am still glad I did. No, it's not perfect. Yes, it has glitches and you need to PAY ATTENTION, but if you accept it within its limitations, both TACC-only and FSD are useful. When I'm traversing downtown San Francisco during heavy traffic, TACC is a leg saver as well as a stress reducer. I know that TACC isn't going to stop when the light turns red and I plan for that, but it does a great job at start-stop-start-stop between lights. On Interstate road trips, FSD is likewise a great stress reducer, although I turn it off if traffic builds up, either reverting to TACC or manual. FSD doesn't have to be fully autonomous to be valuable.

FSD is also a good value because it will improve, and improve, and ..., and as it gets better, Tesla will raise the price, and raise the price, and... If you buy FSD now, you're insulated from those price increases. That's the way it's going to work. Look at the people who bought FSD for $3K on a 2.5 HW vehicle and are now getting a free HW 3.0 upgrade. There will come a point a few years down the road where my Model 3 is no longer upgradable, but meanwhile I'm covered for a few years of software and hardware upgrades at no additional cost.

And at my age, I'm glad to have a car that will get smarter as I get dumber:)

Last edited:
I bought FSD at $7K and am still glad I did. No, it's not perfect. Yes, it has glitches and you need to PAY ATTENTION, but if you accept it within its limitations, both TACC-only and FSD are useful. When I'm traversing downtown San Francisco during heavy traffic, TACC is a leg saver as well as a stress reducer. I know that TACC isn't going to stop when the light turns red and I plan for that, but it does a great job at start-stop-start-stop between lights. On Interstate road trips, FSD is likewise a great stress reducer, although I turn it off if traffic builds up, either reverting to TACC or manual. FSD doesn't have to be fully autonomous to be valuable.

FSD is also a good value because it will improve, and improve, and ..., and as it gets better, Tesla will raise the price, and raise the price, and... If you buy FSD now, you're insulated from those price increases. That's the way it's going to work. Look at the people who bought FSD for $3K on a 2.5 HW vehicle and are now getting a free HW 3.0 upgrade. There will come a point a few years down the road where my Model 3 is no longer upgradable, but meanwhile I'm covered for a few years of software and hardware upgrades at no additional cost.

I see your point about insulating against further price increases, but the features you mentioned are all included with standard autopilot. With the exception, perhaps, of the automatic lane change when in autopilot. That's the only FSD feature I use regularly, and pretty sure I would choose to change my own lanes that was the only benefit $7000 bought me.

In my opinion, the FSD feature(s) doesn’t work well in traffic. NoA will initiate lane changes in the most awkward times like when traffic is at a standstill, and the possibility of successfully changing lanes is close to 0. Also, it’s scary when NoA drives like an inconsiderate driver by not letting others into your lane when merging on ramp. Overall as a daily city commuter with heavy traffic, autopilot is a godsend and FSD is a waste (for now). I think I should’ve used my FSD cash to get the LR AWD.

After 10 months I've decided that FSD is not worth the $7k. I definitely won't buy when I get another Tesla. Autopilot is more than enough and the few features that are part of FSD really don't make much difference. If I had feature complete FSD I really don't think I would get that much utility out of it. Not wasting my money next time. In fact, I'm more than a little pissed that I paid for it now and think Tesla has exposed themselves to a class-action lawsuit. I'm convinced my car will have 100,000 miles before any significant features will be available.

I like FSD even in its limited and wonky capacity now, but I speculate that by the time it does what we all want it to do, the price for it will probably be around $25k because of how much value it will add at that point.