Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8 minutes is not great if you are talking supercars, but that is still in the group of cars that have abilities that exceed what an untrained driver should explore.
That's 2009 556HP CTS-V times and weight, which was the fastest 4 door sold that year. With the nannies off, that car is well behaved, but will not allow big mistakes either. It's heavy.

I'm not talking supercars, Mission-E is a 4 seater family sedan.

Don't underestimate modern 4 door sedans. They are what supercars were 15 years ago.

When you let the genie out of the bottle, they are too much car for average drivers when driven aggressively. But if you leave all the babysitters on, they can make even the worst BMW driver look talented. Tasty drifting with little to no risk, the car allows a certain angle of oversteer, and holds it there.

An amateur non-ludi P85D on stock 19" wheels tires did 8:50 -- in lots of traffic

That video shows the biggest problem of the Model S and why it's not faster. Before the 1 minute mark, the power meter still goes well above 240 kW on a logarithmic scale, at 1:25, as you can see with the dotted line, it's already limited to 240 kW (320hp) at the end of the lap, it's already down to being limited to 120 kW (160 hp). On the last straight it can't even catch up to that A3 anymore, which is just a 180 hp car (or less, depending on engine).

So even a modern P100D wouldn't be much quicker, since it would just run into the same thermal limitations sooner.

Don't underestimate modern 4 door sedans. They are what supercars were 15 years ago.

When you let the genie out of the bottle, they are too much car for average drivers when driven aggressively. But if you leave all the babysitters on, they can make even the worst BMW driver look talented. Tasty drifting with little to no risk, the car allows a certain angle of oversteer, and holds it there.

Yup, current Panamera Turbo S lapped Nordschleife in 7 min and 32 seconds. I don't expect Mission E to hit that time, but I would assume it'll be around 7:50 once they are at production configuration.

Thought Porsche's soul was the flat six. Folks think that the 718 had lost its "soul" due to the change in engine. So wondering what the Porsche "soul" is gonna be in the Taycan. Last part of vid shows some body lines and headlight...looks like quad rectangle running lights... Cool.

I can't take credit for this, but it is one of the better comments I have seen:

Porsche says their cars have "soul"; Subaru says theirs have "love"; Tesla says their cars have "a Supercharger network."

One of these claims means something practical in the real world.
With that said....why do I freakin still want a Porsche. I'm siting here with an invite to configure since March.....guess I'll see what happens when more Taycan news comes out.

Last edited:

Thought Porsche's soul was the flat six. Folks think that the 718 had lost its "soul" due to the change in engine. So wondering what the Porsche "soul" is gonna be in the Taycan. Last part of vid shows some body lines and headlight...looks like quad rectangle running lights... Cool.

Porsche has no intention of hastening the move to electric vehicles, but knows perfectly well by now that this is an inflection point that will determine whether they can continue to build [and sell] expensive specialty cars with widely accepted cachet well into the future. If they can stake their claim to fame successfully now, it'll be one or two dozen years before that shine wears off.

Why Cadillac doesn't release a new, seriously attractive and right-priced version of the ELR is beyond me.

Porsche has lost it's flat six soul ... it's now in search of a new soul and is not sure where to find it :cool:
Good grief the name Taycan is god awful ... what were they thinking? Let's hope the car is a success.

porsche-mission-e-2.jpg