Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But they can only benchmark the current Model 3, not the Model 3 that will be available when the Taycan comes out. And we shouldn't think the Model 3 Performance design is static. That fact that TireRack sells Tesla-spec 275/30R20 PS4S tires is a huge flag. Michelin and Tesla didn't make those for aftermarket sales. They're coming to the Model 3 P. It seems like adding the adaptive suspension is a no-brainer as well. After all, it was in the rotating CAD view of the Model 3 during the 2016 reveal presentation. Come to think of it, the reveal cars also had 275 rear tires. To make more of a splash, they could update Track mode at the same time to include more features and capabilities.

I suspect Tesla is waiting for competition, like the lower-end Taycan or G20 M3, to get closer to market before they drop these additional features on the Model 3.

Just FYI, @CarlK made the benchmarking comment...

• Helpful
Reactions: Zoomit
Gotcha--my reply wasn't directed at anyone in particular. I'm sure Porsche is also expecting the Model 3 and S to continue evolving as technology allows.

That's what happens when you're the follower and not a leader. Porsche had never been a follower in its entire life until now. Don't think it knows how to handle it. Thinking you can still charge a lot more and deliver a lot less when you are a follower is pretty unrealistic. It needs to go back to the drawing board now that it knows how the Model 3 is like. In perhaps half an year it will again learn how the new Model S will be like. Yes it's tough to be a follower, especially a follower to Tesla.

Last edited:
Still the ugly duckling... :cool: Porsche Taycan and Volvo Polestar 2 prototypes spotted up close - Electrek

Screen-Shot-2019-07-04-at-12.35.55-PM.jpg

Reactions: jgs and CarlK
The more I look at it the more it looks like a Dodge muscle car. I can't believe there is not a designer there who could design a good looking sports sedan. Nobody is that incompetent. My take is there must be a lot of input from marketing and business groups. As the saying goes the camel is a horse designed by a committee.
I think it looks fine for what I expect it is supposed to be, a "muscle cruiser" rather than more traditional sports car.

Dayum that tire size...larger than the 992 turbo...yikes! Wonder what miles/kWh is gonna be...can't have your cake and eat it? Guess we'll find out in a few months! But then again...folks buying 911s, Panamera prob ain't worried about MPG...hmmm.

Porsche Taycan wheel and tire size revealed in pre-production prototype sighting

View attachment 428579

The wheel size and weight will certainly not help the rotational mass... the bigger issue is the tire selection, Goodyear Eagles really? :cool:

The truth is out... Porsche Taycan to have 250 kW charging at launch, promised 350 kW coming in 2021 - Electrek

That’s disappointing. The 350 kW charging capacity was definitely the most anticipated feature of the Taycan and now it’s not going to be available at launch. Now the biggest question is: will it be available through a software update for original owners in 2021 or it will be an upgraded charging capacity for new cars?

The former is OK, but the latter would be a major disappointment. As for the rest of the specs, it’s about in line with expectations. It should be a really great car — just not the Tesla killer that many were expecting.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jgs