Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Foot garages" come to save you lol. Just make sure you don't trip on your way in or out.

https://jalopnik.com/the-porsche-taycan-was-designed-with-something-called-f-1836023684

Interesting... a designer just called the passenger footwell of the upcoming electric Porsche Taycan a “foot garage” with a straight face.

While the concept of a “foot garage” seems pretty straightforward, I still have to block the mental image of my feet sliding into a corner of a Frank Lloyd Wright masterpiece. I figured Mauer probably means they left some space in the battery unity in the bottom of the car to make sure the passengers could sit comfortably.
But I couldn’t be sure so I reached out to Porsche, and a spokesperson pointed me to this Porsche website for the Mission E Concept car that features an image of exactly what Mauer is describing:

wq5bxtj2nvnl2lpjsxq4.png

Interesting... a designer just called the passenger footwell of the upcoming electric Porsche Taycan a “foot garage” with a straight face.

While the concept of a “foot garage” seems pretty straightforward, I still have to block the mental image of my feet sliding into a corner of a Frank Lloyd Wright masterpiece. I figured Mauer probably means they left some space in the battery unity in the bottom of the car to make sure the passengers could sit comfortably.
But I couldn’t be sure so I reached out to Porsche, and a spokesperson pointed me to this Porsche website for the Mission E Concept car that features an image of exactly what Mauer is describing:

wq5bxtj2nvnl2lpjsxq4.png
I wonder if the long range version will have batteries parked in those garages.

wq5bxtj2nvnl2lpjsxq4.png

Does it look like the rear seat head rest is touching the roof? Probably needs a head garage too. :rolleyes:

Good that they are now benchmarking the Model 3. That will just tell them how far behind they are. We'll see.

• Funny
Reactions: jgs
Dang...305s: 2020 Porsche Taycan spy pics & videos

Thought the benchmark was 235s :D

tay2-jpg.662

screenshot_20190703-234809-png.667

Looks it needs all the help it could get from Goodyear to match Model 3's acceleration and top speed at 2.5X the price. Or maybe not even with that. Wait till they could get their hands on the Roadster and to be really embarrassed. Maybe they don't have to. The Roadster sure will not have the foot garage which Porsche excelles. :p

Foot Garages are a good idea. Teresa's i3's floor is so high that entering it is a pain.
Hope Porsche puts them in the front passenger area as well.

You won't be needing the foot garage if you designed the car right instead of doing the silly thing trying to make a 4dr sedan to look like a 911. Make it a sedan if that's what you're designing. You can always make a sports car if you want to do that too. Isn't Tesla doing exactly that? There is no such thing as to make best of both worlds. You'll end up with making meh for both worlds.

Last edited:
Looks it needs all the help it could get from Goodyear to match Model 3's acceleration and top speed at 2.5X the price. Or maybe not even with that. Wait till they could get their hands on the Roadster and to be really embarrassed. But I guess not the Roadster will not have the foot garage which the Porsche excelles. :p
It is a Porsche....so it ain't cheap/inexpensive. Porsche embarrassed...nah....when is your scheduled pick up for that Roadster?

Porsche people are true believers. They have faith that their beloved company will not disappoint them with their first EV. Reality is not yet unveiled, but nobody knows for sure.

Porsche has made some amazingly good looking cars, but some were disappointed with the 912/914s, the 928 bulbous grand touring car that was way to heavy to be a sports car, the first ugly Panamara and other less that beautiful cars that have come out of their factories.

Lately Porsche has even engineered phony sound tubes and electronically generated sound enhancers to make their motors sound better than they do to fool their customers into believing that their motors sound better than they do.

But the one thing that Porsche faithful can bank on is that this first EV will have competitive (until the Tesla New Roadster) track performance. It will do well on the Nring and community race tracks. Their cars will be able to carry speed on the unlimited parts of the Autobahn. It will handle well, have great brakes and give a great high performance driving experience.

Porsche people are true believers. They have faith that their beloved company will not disappoint them with their first EV. Reality is not yet unveiled, but nobody knows for sure.

Porsche has made some amazingly good looking cars, but some were disappointed with the 912/914s, the 928 bulbous grand touring car that was way to heavy to be a sports car, the first ugly Panamara and other less that beautiful cars that have come out of their factories.

Lately Porsche has even engineered phony sound tubes and electronically generated sound enhancers to make their motors sound better than they do to fool their customers into believing that their motors sound better than they do.

Porsche faithful is the key. Without those people 911 is just a dated and pretty ugly car. Few would buy it if did not represent the Porsche tradition. The question is how many of them will stay when there is another choice. I did not. Mid-engined Audi R8 almost dethroned it but it was saved by VWG when it bought Porsche and dumbed the Audi down to preserve the 911 nameplate. A pretty smart move for VWG but real bad for car enthusiasts imo. GT-R could have too if it's not a Japanese brand and not ugly looking itself.

Porsche will not be so fortunate this time around. There is a real chance Tesla will finish it off when the Roaders comes out with unmatched performance and value and none of the shortcomings as others have. Not that everyone will be buying the $200K+ sports car but that will take the mystic away from Porsche so it will need to compete with real merit and value from then on.

But the one thing that Porsche faithful can bank on is that this first EV will have competitive (until the Tesla New Roadster) track performance. It will do well on the Nring and community race tracks. Their cars will be able to carry speed on the unlimited parts of the Autobahn. It will handle well, have great brakes and give a great high performance driving experience.

Did you notice they are talking about foot garage or sports car proportion but not so much performance anymore? The fact is the top of line Taycan at around $150K will at best match acceleration and top speed of the $60K Model 3 performance. As for track performance reports are coming out that P3D can beat most 911 on tracks except those track oriented ~$200K GT3 or up. Let's see how Porsche does it with Taycan now they know how a $60K Tesla could do. BTW I have not even mentioned the range yet. Just to remind Porsche Model 3 has 310 miles range and Model S likely will have 400 miles or more when the Taycan is available.

It is a Porsche....so it ain't cheap/inexpensive. Porsche embarrassed...nah....when is your scheduled pick up for that Roadster?

When is your scheduled pick up for that (meh) Taycan?

Last edited:
Reactions: FlatSix911
  • Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
As for track performance reports are coming out that P3D can beat most 911 on tracks except those track oriented ~$200K GT3 or up
No doubt the P3D+ has acquitted itself wonderfully on the track so far.
I am interested to see what performance is like comparing the Porsche with the Tesla over a few laps, as Porsche has made a point of saying the Taycan won't overheat. Maybe it will be slower over the first lap(s) and then catch up?
Either way, it is good to see Porsche putting out serious EVs. They were always supportive of Tesla from the beginning, unlike other car companies who tried to put them down.
The cost difference is dramatic, of course- I bet in Australia the Taycan (similarly equipped) will cost 2.5 times the Model 3.

Good that they are now benchmarking the Model 3.
But they can only benchmark the current Model 3, not the Model 3 that will be available when the Taycan comes out. And we shouldn't think the Model 3 Performance design is static. That fact that TireRack sells Tesla-spec 275/30R20 PS4S tires is a huge flag. Michelin and Tesla didn't make those for aftermarket sales. They're coming to the Model 3 P. It seems like adding the adaptive suspension is a no-brainer as well. After all, it was in the rotating CAD view of the Model 3 during the 2016 reveal presentation. Come to think of it, the reveal cars also had 275 rear tires. To make more of a splash, they could update Track mode at the same time to include more features and capabilities.

I suspect Tesla is waiting for competition, like the lower-end Taycan or G20 M3, to get closer to market before they drop these additional features on the Model 3.