Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It makes sense for Porsche to offer only the high-end versions for now. They'll probably sell all they can build in the first year or two.

Curious to see where Audi will position the E-tron GT (built on the same platform).

Also curious to see the Taycan's charging curve. Apparently it charges from 5-80% in about 20 minutes, with 270kW peak power on an 800V charger.

150 kW at 80%, crazy. Wonder how much buffer they have on top of the battery to achieve that. And it also starts to heat the pack if you navigate to a charging station, like a Tesla.

curve.png

Wow, the specs are super disappointing. Only a 280 WLTP range? Thats like 220 EPA range. Two speed transmission? Ewww. Half the reason I got a Tesla was to avoid having a car that was always in the wrong gear or busy shifting. The interior looks ho-hum, seems like a straight copy of the Panamera. Its still going to be a very heavy car (for a "sports car") I can't imagine it actually handles significantly better.

I imagine that sometime in the future, Tesla will offer a ultra premium version of their cars. Will have premium interiors, with ego driven fancy gadgets and expensive stitching. Thick carpets and even more premium sound systems with fancy sounding names. Fancy brakes with even fancier wheels. Begin to sell their cars as fashion statements to the uber rich.

Won't happen until it is necessary to maintain production.

Hard to be all things to all people.

Right now, they are designing their cars to most efficiently transform people away from ICE to EV.

Some would say they are doing a good job with what they have accomplished.

Wow, the specs are super disappointing. Only a 280 WLTP range? Thats like 220 EPA range.
WLTP/EPA is usually around 1.12, so it's probably closer to 250 EPA. Pretty good for a high-performance car with a ~93 kWh battery.
Two speed transmission? Ewww. Half the reason I got a Tesla was to avoid having a car that was always in the wrong gear or busy shifting.
This is not your grandmother's automatic transmission. It'll probably result in faster 0-200km/h and quarter-mile times than the Model S.
The interior looks ho-hum, seems like a straight copy of the Panamera. Its still going to be a very heavy car (for a "sports car") I can't imagine it actually handles significantly better.
Judging from the Nürburgring lap time, it appears to be competitive with the fastest production sedans.

I find the Taycan to be an extremely beautiful car but the price is very high.

Something tells me the 20k people with Taycan deposits weren’t expecting a $200k purchase.

Even though the Model S desperately needs a new interior and better build quality it’s pretty telling that it costs less, weighs less (!), accelerates faster, and has more cargo and passenger room. Not too shabby for a seven year old design from a company that had never built a car before.

The Porsche faithful will still gobble these things up and it will displace a lot of gasoline consumption from 911s and Panameras.

Also curious to see the Taycan's charging curve. Apparently it charges from 5-80% in about 20 minutes, with 270kW peak power on an 800V charger.
That's far away from the claimed 350kW and 8 minute charging times they were proclaiming a few years ago, and the 20 minutes is very close to what you need to do in a Model 3 at 118kW 10-80%...

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911 and jgs
This pricing makes me wonder if Tesla made a mistake in not updating Model S and keeping the high price or introducing a more expensive higher performance version that fixed some of the performance & battery issues Porsche is emphasizing for differentiation at the 180k price point and made huge profit per vehicle. Did Tesla lower price of Model S because they wanted to reach the most consumers possible (ie speed up transition to sustainable energy) or as an attempt to keep sales afloat for an older model in lieu of updates. I think the Tesla brand is seen as premium/elite as Porsche is to the average consumer. At this pricing the roadster may be the more direct competitor especially if they can give it 4 usable seats. Hopefully Elon has something up his sleeves and we'll get an announcement at the Truck event, Model S should be the best vehicle in its class in all categories.

I think this is just a matter of engineering resources and capital expenditure. The tooling for the S is paid for. The Raven update was a slight suspension change (at most a few hundred dollars change in cost of suspension, and that's probably high), a carried over drive unit, and software. How many S/X do they need to sell to recover the cost of overhauling the exterior and/or interior? You need new tooling for say door panels, stampings, etc. They could be putting that into the model Y in the short run, and the pickup after that. I doubt the Semi will be very profitable.

Model 3 takes way longer to charge from 5 to 80%, particularly on a v2 supercharger. More like 30-40 minutes.

I believe the comparison is to V3 which is being deployed by Tesla now. The Taycan and the chargers to support 800V 270kW DC charging don’t exist yet, so V3 is appropriate to compare with in my opinion because Tesla cars and charging points with this capability actually exist and can be used today.

Reactions: jgs
I believe the comparison is to V3 which is being deployed by Tesla now. The Taycan and the chargers to support 800V 270kW DC charging don’t exist yet, so V3 is appropriate to compare with in my opinion because Tesla cars and charging points with this capability actually exist and can be used today.
There are currently more 350kW CCS chargers than v3 superchargers. And even with v3 the Model 3 still takes significantly longer to get to a higher SoC like 80%, because the peak power is only maintained for a couple of minutes. If the curve from the Norwegian web site is accurate, it is very impressive IMO.

• Helpful
Reactions: Snerruc and sdoorex
There are currently more 350kW CCS chargers than v3 superchargers. And even with v3 the Model 3 still takes significantly longer to get to a higher SoC like 80%, because the peak power is only maintained for a couple of minutes. If the curve from the Norwegian web site is accurate, it is very impressive IMO.

Could you point me to an 800V CCS charger available to use? I was under the impression all of them were 400V. Not trying to be rude, just didn’t realize there were so many 800V units deployed.

Edit: at 400V wouldn’t the Taycan accept a max of 175 kW on a 350 kW EA quick charger?

Reactions: Scott7