Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Gotta love Porsche for their option pricing... Porsche Taycan configurator has a $500 option for... an mp3 file of motor noise - Electrek

The Taycan is a big departure for Porsche in that it’s their first EV, but there are definitely some ways it really feels like a Porsche. For example, the Taycan offers an insane amount of options — something Porsche is famous for. One of those options is Porsche’s “Electric Sport Sound,” a $500 option that adds fake, electric-like engine noises to the car. The “Electric Sport Sound” is described on Porsche’s configurator thusly:

Porsche Electric Sport Sound enhances the vehicle’s own sound and makes it sound even more emotional — both outside and inside the vehicle. Can be activated/deactivated via Porsche Communication Management (PCM). It costs $500, and is listed under the “performance” section of the configurator, alongside options like rear steering, dynamic chassis control, and brake upgrades.

Yep..a base 718 starts at $56.9k and a base 911 starts at $91.1k. Start picking options and price goes up dang quick. Sport Exhaust is also an option on the base model 718/911...but I don't think it's just $500. Ohh...electronic sports sound for outside the Taycan....nice! Wonder if you can pop/gurgle/burp at a stop light....actually sounds like fun w/o burning dino juice.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Wonder if you can pop/gurgle/burp at a stop light....actually sounds like fun w/o burning dino juice.

"Let 'er rip with outside farting sounds!"

Your personal acoustic signature expertly recorded in high fidelity at our unique Porsche Authentic Drivers' Outgassing Audio Center and altered by sound engineers for greater emotion [Recording EUR 399, added emotion EUR 599, full-spectrum external speaker kit EUR 4900].

Interesting news from Electrek... Tesla 'Plaid' Model S crushes Porsche Taycan's Nürburgring time, witness says - Electrek

Nonetheless, it’s clear that Tesla wants to push those vehicles to their limits on the demanding racetrack and according to German car magazine Auto Motor und Sport, they brought Nordschleife expert Thomas Mutsch, amongst others, to drive the cars. The magazine has an “observer” at the track who reportedly recorded Mutsch doing a 7:23 minutes lap in one of the modified Tesla Model S vehicles:

“But what the new drive can do he has already shown on some very fast laps. Our observer reports a hand-stopped lap time of 7:23 minutes – as I said: hand-stopped with corresponding inaccuracies. But that would be about 20 seconds faster than that Porsche Taycan. The weather conditions on Monday (16.9.) were rather cool with 18 degrees and heavy cloud cover.”

Porsche claimed the Nürburgring racetrack ‘electric four-door’ record with the Taycan completing a 7:42 minutes lap last month. Tesla’s new time isn’t likely to be official, but the company has been rumored to have some time slots to attempt record times later this month.

Interesting news from Electrek... Tesla 'Plaid' Model S crushes Porsche Taycan's Nürburgring time, witness says - Electrek

Nonetheless, it’s clear that Tesla wants to push those vehicles to their limits on the demanding racetrack and according to German car magazine Auto Motor und Sport, they brought Nordschleife expert Thomas Mutsch, amongst others, to drive the cars. The magazine has an “observer” at the track who reportedly recorded Mutsch doing a 7:23 minutes lap in one of the modified Tesla Model S vehicles:

“But what the new drive can do he has already shown on some very fast laps. Our observer reports a hand-stopped lap time of 7:23 minutes – as I said: hand-stopped with corresponding inaccuracies. But that would be about 20 seconds faster than that Porsche Taycan. The weather conditions on Monday (16.9.) were rather cool with 18 degrees and heavy cloud cover.”

Porsche claimed the Nürburgring racetrack ‘electric four-door’ record with the Taycan completing a 7:42 minutes lap last month. Tesla’s new time isn’t likely to be official, but the company has been rumored to have some time slots to attempt record times later this month.

That is not a production tesla though. It is heavily modified.

That is not a production tesla though. It is heavily modified.

Sure. It's evidence Tesla's not just going to rest on their laurels, though. (You could refer to it as "heavily modified", or you could refer to it as a prototype. The latter implies intent to put the technology into production, which appears to be true.)

The new Tesla will be a production model next year... same as the Taycan will be available next year in the US. :cool:

We have to know if what tesla used to set the lap time is street legal and safe and reliable. Still its a very good achievement.
Well, this happened today:

Tesla Model S breaks down on Nurburgring - LeftLaneNews

I wish Tesla had additionally done some fast laps with their fastest production cars (P100D and P3D) rather than only a quickly cobbled-together prototype, that would at least have been informative. But I guess Elon's ego couldn't take it.

Reactions: gowthamn

I wish Tesla had additionally done some fast laps with their fastest production cars (P100D and P3D) rather than only a quickly cobbled-together prototype, that would at least have been informative. But I guess Elon's ego couldn't take it.

Tesla recently boasted that the Model S is capable of a 7:20 lap and will be shooting for an even more impressive 7:05 when it returns to the Green Hell next month.

OMG it happened AGAIN!? WTF is Tesla doing!? This exact same thing happened 2 days ago on 9/18 too!!!!111111
:rolleyes:

Tesla recently boasted that the Model S is capable of a 7:20 lap and will be shooting for an even more impressive 7:05 when it returns to the Green Hell next month.
Yeah, using a prototype that was apparently pushed so hard to the limit that it doesn't last more than a few laps. If they want to boast they should do this in a year or so when they have something close to production. In the meantime I would like to know how the Model S Raven and the Model 3 P do on a demanding track like the Ring.

Reactions: gowthamn
Yeah, using a prototype that was apparently pushed so hard to the limit that it doesn't last more than a few laps. If they want to boast they should do this in a year or so when they have something close to production. In the meantime I would like to know how the Model S Raven and the Model 3 P do on a demanding track like the Ring.

Nonsense... more FUD. :cool:

Have there been customer deliveries yet? I may have seen one 2 days ago ... Brand new Porsche car drove past me, didn't see any tail pipes in my rear view, had temporary tags. I could hear a typical Porsche sound, which of course could have been artificial.
The pedestrian warning sound produced by the Taycan sounds nothing like a typical ICE Porsche, so you probably saw something else.