Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Teslarati is reporting that Porsche is switching over to an "enhanced" battery pack in new Taycans that are being delivered. Not clear whether the change is hardware or software related. Quote: "The improved battery will optimize the electric car’s energy consumption and improve its range."

Going to be interesting to see how current owners respond if the 201 mile range gets a significant boost, and they are left holding the bag on a car that has less range. The anecdotal reports are that the 201 mile range is easily exceeded, but if thats really the case, why roll out an update with improved range?

Porsche Taycan reportedly getting enhanced battery pack to improve range

To save you further suspense, here are our city, highway, and combined ranges for the 2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo S:

• Normal mode (one loop): 240/274/254 city/highway/combined miles
  • Range mode (two loops): 243/269/254 city/highway/combined miles
Switching to Range mode dithers the balance of city and highway a little, while combined is right down the middle between the high and low gutter balls to either side. Compared to the repeatability of our acceleration and figure-eight testing, it's remarkable how squishy EV ranges can be, depending on how you test them.

Recharging at Electrify America's fast chargers doesn't let you doze or settle into a book like the old days—the Turbo S added 100 miles in 17 minutes at a 150-kW-hr unit (seeing a peak of 138) and 11 minutes at a super-powerful 350-kW-hr charger (peaking at 261 kW hr). Waiting for 150 miles needed 28 and 20 minutes, respectively.

But it's long enough to declare the Taycan's range makes the grade by a hair—my personal cutoff for acceptability is 250 miles of actual range. It's comparable to the Bolt's and Hyundai Kona EV's. And those two don't hit 60 mph in 2.4 seconds.

Mirror, mirror, on the wall, what's the range before I stall? 254.

2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo S Range Test: It Gets How Many Miles? - Motor Trend

Teslarati is reporting that Porsche is switching over to an "enhanced" battery pack in new Taycans that are being delivered. Not clear whether the change is hardware or software related. Quote: "The improved battery will optimize the electric car’s energy consumption and improve its range."

Going to be interesting to see how current owners respond if the 201 mile range gets a significant boost, and they are left holding the bag on a car that has less range. The anecdotal reports are that the 201 mile range is easily exceeded, but if thats really the case, why roll out an update with improved range?

Porsche Taycan reportedly getting enhanced battery pack to improve range

An interesting chart posted in the comments section of the Teslarati article... I'm waiting to see the new enhanced pack.

An interesting chart posted in the comments section of the Teslarati article... I'm waiting to see the new enhanced pack.

This is a perfect example of why the EPA range is totally useless when talking about EV range.

People generally aren't concerned about city miles, but hwy miles. Specifically highway miles doing at least 5mph over the speed limit to get a good indication of range.

There is absolutely no friggen way a 2020 Model 3 perf is going to 292 miles with 30 miles of range reserve especially not with 20inch performance tires as it's sold. Not even Tesla themselves advertises that much for it.

Where you'd be hard pressed not to achieve 190-200 miles on a Porsche Taycan Turbo.

The reality is the Taycan Turbo range compares fairly nicely to the range of the P3D, but not the Raven Model S Performance

highway miles doing at least 5mph over the speed limit to get a good indication of range
Yes, although maybe not just of "range" but of "the range that people really care about".
Now we need to know how the Taycan's range decreases in cold / rain / other inclement weather. Plenty of people have posted about changes in Tesla range under similar circumstances.
Because, as argued in the "over 400 miles" thread, a bigger battery / more range is good so that you STILL have decent range when conditions are inclement.

Motorway range test: Taycan vs. Model S - who is ahead?

Bild3.jpg

Reactions: afadeev
Yes, although maybe not just of "range" but of "the range that people really care about".
Now we need to know how the Taycan's range decreases in cold / rain / other inclement weather. Plenty of people have posted about changes in Tesla range under similar circumstances.
Because, as argued in the "over 400 miles" thread, a bigger battery / more range is good so that you STILL have decent range when conditions are inclement.

I think overall it would be good to establish more realistic tests. I was caught out twice recently by just how short my MR Model 3 actual range is when driving in So. Cal. without traffic. Both trips should be well within the 264 rated mile of the car, but I had to supercharge once on the ~ 170 mile trip, and twice on the ~230 mile trip. I knew the speed was going to hurt range, but compared to my i3 before, the % drop at highway in Model 3 is significantly higher than what I had ever observed in the i3.

Sad to watch him compare and review a dead Taycan vs a Model S. Sitting in the powered-off interior pondering what the dashboard might look like.
He should sit in a live one in a showroom so he can make some proper commentary.

Sad to watch him compare and review a dead Taycan vs a Model S. Sitting in the powered-off interior pondering what the dashboard might look like.
He should sit in a live one in a showroom so he can make some proper commentary.
He couldn’t make it from the showroom door to the car without getting tazed.

The limited look underneath was interesting.

PS The coolant line routing choice does seem odd.