Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium connectivity Spotify

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the Premium Connectivity service is not renewed, connecting via a phone hotspot will still enable the original Tesla Spotify account in-car (but only after engaging 'drive' each time the car is driven from 'park')
Having to connect after engaging "drive", each time is very annoying and potentially dangerous, its kind of like what I would expect a discount airline to do not a brand like Tesla. It took effort and thinking to build in such a limitation in order to drive a business goal of some subscription pennies... for me at least the real effect is that I feel "nickelled and dimed", to the point that I refuse to reward the poor practice by subscribing. Why?
1. Because some idiot at Tesla gets a promotion for this stupid decision.
2. It is a potential anti-competitive practice to make it hard for the customer to use an alternative internet subscription and being forced to use a bundled solution for a fee.
3. The price is not insane, but compared to what you get for a Netflix subscription, it is a lot, especially considering customers usually have devices with hotspots and don't need another connectivity subscription.

Is my thinking unreasonable? o_O

Is my thinking unreasonable? o_O

not really, if you are the car owner, probably if you are a business as Tesla is.
Not really (from the customer’s perspective)
Probably (from a business perspective)
I personally think it is somewhat “anti competitive “ and leaves (another) bad taste in the mouth by some of the mercenary tactics Tesla use, but then I am not one off Tesla’s accountants or one of their happiest customers!
Ultimately I guess you just let them take your trousers down or you cough up. The decision is at least yours to make.

Reactions: DrivenRay
Moderator comment - thread merged from global thread "Premium Connectivity and Spotify [in the UK]" hence the many not relevant to UK answers

I have just paid for 9.99 connectivity after 1 months free trial but I have no personal Spotify account. How do I log on and use Spotify?

Last edited by a moderator:
You need a paid Spotify account. Otherwise you have to stream it from your phone.
Thanks. I thought by paying the connectivity subscription it included Spotify. So you have to pay for premium connectivity (if you don't have a personal Spotify account) AND subscribe to Spotify too. I always use Napster and Amazon music. I didn't want to have to set up another music streaming Acc.

Reactions: Jeff Davlt
Thanks. I thought by paying the connectivity subscription it included Spotify. So you have to pay for premium connectivity (if you don't have a personal Spotify account) AND subscribe to Spotify too. I always use Napster and Amazon music. I didn't want to have to set up another music streaming Acc.
yeah its annoying as hell.
Premium just includes data for the car.

In the UK premium connectivity includes Spotify for free. It should automatically login - just press the Spotify option and if you get a message asking to login press the “use Tesla account”.

If you don’t see the option reboot!

I'm not sure Spotify can be removed, I seem to recall it was greyed out and unavailable for deselection.
You can hide Spotify, but it seems at least 3 sources must be enabled - otherwise the UI would look rather empty.

I only just enabled Spotify today (about 5 months into ownership) after realising from the forums that there was a free Tesla account - had to reset the car before it would log in, but seems to be working now.