Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Price adjustment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reality is too that some people are better at negotiating then others. Some people don't care. Some people are dumb enough to buy the extended warranties, waaaaay overpriced paint protection, etc. We're all different.

Tesla's model puts everyone pretty much at the same level, which I absolutely HATE. It's the same reason I've never purchased a car from Carmax. I know I can do better. Others love Carmax because they believe they're paying a "fair" price. To me fair is overpriced.

Having had a dealer's license in the past I'm not willing to pay full retail for any car. I'm having a really hard pulling the trigger knowing I'm not getting a "deal".

This was exactly my father's situation. Getting a Tesla and not being able to negotiate was the hardest thing. He finally committed them they make a price change the day after he gets the car. Real kick

Was able to confirm this by phone this morning for $36K plus delivery. So $35K does get you a SR+ with a software limit on range. Autopilot is included. I upgraded the paint for $1K as the black is beautiful, but difficult to maintain.

Build Sheet.PNG

Nice. I think that's a good deal compared to the old SR.

I wonder, because my volt does this, if you get to 0 range with the SR and there's juice left in the battery because it's just limited by software will the car give you use of that extra range to get to a charger? My volt will go something like 5 miles even if out of gas and out of charge (they leave room in the battery to avoid degradation like the leaf suffers from).

I'm having a really hard pulling the trigger knowing I'm not getting a "deal".

And that, right there, is why Tesla’s model will have to change at some point.

The psychological impact of “the deal” comes into play. Feeling like you’re screwing someone over by getting The Deal actually is a factor.

Haggling is a basic human trait - Inflated MSRP’s and sales are just the latest iteration of the ancient central markets.

I’m very comfortable with the price on my Model 3. I don’t care what “deal” others get - I’m happy with the cost for mine, and that’s all that matters to me. Took me a while to wrap my brain around that.

My 2018 Volt had an MSRP of $36k. I bought it new for $29k. After that tax credit it was $21,500. That's a steal compared to $50k for a new model 3. And it's real leather and has many of the autopilot features and doesn't have the build quality issues. Another reason I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger.

Reactions: Darren Donovan
My 2018 Volt had an MSRP of $36k. I bought it new for $29k. After that tax credit it was $21,500. That's a steal compared to $50k for a new model 3. And it's real leather and has many of the autopilot features and doesn't have the build quality issues. Another reason I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger.

So drive it and enjoy it. My Cadillac was $66,500 stickered; I got it to a cap cost of $60,500 and leased it with a 51% residual and .00022 MF. That has absolutely nothing to do with anyone else’s Cadillac, or my impending Model 3.

The reality is too that some people are better at negotiating then others. Some people don't care. Some people are dumb enough to buy the extended warranties, waaaaay overpriced paint protection, etc. We're all different.

Tesla's model puts everyone pretty much at the same level, which I absolutely HATE. It's the same reason I've never purchased a car from Carmax. I know I can do better. Others love Carmax because they believe they're paying a "fair" price. To me fair is overpriced.

Having had a dealer's license in the past I'm not willing to pay full retail for any car. I'm having a really hard pulling the trigger knowing I'm not getting a "deal".

Buying something for the lowest price possible at a given time is getting a deal. NO ONE buying this car at the same time as you will get it any cheaper. That's more than enough to make me feel good about a purchase. Teslas are already an exceptional value at the current price points vs the competition. I far prefer this pricing model to the traditional way.

If you need to nickel and dime someone to feel good about a purchase, that's sad (not directed at you, but human nature in general)

Last edited:
Talked to someone at my local Tesla center. Said they were surprised by this change, but he made a note on my account to adjust for the price change--said it should be changed without any input from my end, but put the note on regardless.

If ordering a software-limited vehicle and upgrading it later, does that mean avoiding the sales tax on the upgrade? (There was a twitter post and response from Elon weeks ago about this, that Tesla should never have been collecting sales tax on AP purchases, but I don't think it was ever resolved.)

Just happened to stop by a showroom to sit in a model 3 again as I just can't wait another week for my delivery, and they mentioned they have an assistant manager updating all the local orders. I'm sure they're just swamped with the change, and since I'm a week off on delivery I'm probably not their top priority. No big deal. I can always walk away if I don't like the final deal, or get them to upgrade me to AWD for a bit more.

I tend to be pretty stoic about pricing. If the price works, great. I don't have to worry about whether I'm getting a "good deal."

Really, I find negotiating to be overrated. I know from experience at work that most people who think they're getting a good price really aren't. I know somebody who was working as a contractor who seemed smug about how great a deal they got on their salary, and they were being paid maybe 1/4th what some of the others doing less work were. Everybody thinks they're a master negotiator but the reality is that the person on the other side of the table probably does it a LOT more than you do and certainly has an information advantage.

In any case, I'll post what the RWD LR price ends up being once I find out, but it might be a day or two. I also paid for paint and autopilot, so in combination I'll probably save a fair bit. I'm sure the price won't drop as much as the AWD price dropped, since all the prices are getting squeezed closer together. We'll see...

Reactions: 67King and KRG21
Not new. That was there when I placed my order last week too.

Seems like that probably would be trivial to get waived as long as you can cancel the order for free, unless they raise prices before you go to make the change. As long as you can return the car at no cost to you they have every reason to give you the current price since you can just return the car and get the same deal, leaving them with a used car.

I get my M3 Performance delivered tomorrow. Called my delivery advisor a few minutes ago and the are reworking my MVPA- knocking of $3500.00 :)

$3k for autopilot i ordered and $500 for pearl white paint. Was contemplating adding FSD for for a $1500 net difference on what I was going to pay anyway, but decided my money is better spent on PPF, tint, paint correction and ceramic coating.. What would you guys do? Take the money and run- going with the goodies or doing FSD for another $1500?

I get my M3 Performance delivered tomorrow. Called my delivery advisor a few minutes ago and the are reworking my MVPA- knocking of $3500.00 :)

$3k for autopilot i ordered and $500 for pearl white paint. Was contemplating adding FSD for for a $1500 net difference on what I was going to pay anyway, but decided my money is better spent on PPF, tint, paint correction and ceramic coating.. What would you guys do? Take the money and run- going with the goodies or doing FSD for another $1500?

You can’t add that sweet HW3 computer aftermarket for less than 1500.

Easy choice!