Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production X Configuration Has Begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I heard back from Inside Sales today on my request for an estimate of when I should reasonably expect a test drive. The answer: "We are currently expecting to have Model X in most US showrooms by the end of this year. I encourage you to contact your local showroom in the next week or two to see if they have an accurate timeline of when they will be receiving one!"

Make of that what you will.

I just spoke with inside sales. Heated front seats are standard. The upgrade includes heated 2nd and 3rd row seats plus heated steering wheel.
Thanks, I'm happy to be wrong most anytime, especially if some positive progress or news is made. I don't need (think I don't need?) a heated steering wheel, but know that heated seats all 'round saves battery since perceived comfort comes without having to heat the air in the cabin, as much.

I heard back from Inside Sales today on my request for an estimate of when I should reasonably expect a test drive. The answer: "We are currently expecting to have Model X in most US showrooms by the end of this year. I encourage you to contact your local showroom in the next week or two to see if they have an accurate timeline of when they will be receiving one!"

So he's saying "March"?

(sorry, couldn't resist)

I don’t want to make much of that because I expect to have my Sig X produced and delivered before showroom models are available and very much doubt I’ll be seeing my car this year.

Thanks, I'm happy to be wrong most anytime, especially if some positive progress or news is made. I don't need (think I don't need?) a heated steering wheel, but know that heated seats all 'round saves battery since perceived comfort comes without having to heat the air in the cabin, as much.
The heated steering wheel sounds like a gimmick until you own a car that has one and then you wonder how you ever lived without it. Enjoy my friend.

For those who don't want to spend too much on MX, and don't really care the 1.2s on 0-60mi/30 mi extra range/slower charing/a few months more delay in delivery, does it make sense to order 70D and save the 13k difference of 90D and 70D for a few years later, when the battery price reduces to $200/kwh or $100/kwh, and upgrade the battery to 100D or even 120D?

I learnt from the forum that the motors of 70D and 90D are identical. It's just the smaller battery and the software that cause all the difference.
If today's battery cost is 13000/(90-70)=650$/kwh, let's say in 3 years, the battery cost goes down to $200/kwh due to the Giga factory and model 3,
at that time, 70D buyer can use the 13000 to upgrade to (13000+200*70*0.8-500)/200=120kwh battery where 0.8 is the discount rate and 500 is the labor.
In the $300/kwh scenario, 70D buyer can upgrade to (13000+300*70*0.8-500)/300~=100kwh, and in the $100/kwh scenario, (13000+100*70*0.8-500)/100=180kwh.

The idea is based on the expectation that the battery cost will go down faster in the next few years. What you think?

The heated steering wheel sounds like a gimmick until you own a car that has one and then you wonder how you ever lived without it. Enjoy my friend.

Ive heard that before, and that it makes the whole space you're in feel warm. Thing is, I've got sweaty hands - ask any girl I've ever interacted with ! TMI? Sorry. What I now dread is that I've ordered something, what? who knows, color, seats, (tried to keep it simple) that delays my build EVEN MORE. Did I mention I've grown weary of waiting for this car? dirkhh, can you help get my excited anticipatory worry back down to near despondent pessimism (where it belongs :rolleyes:)??

- - - Updated - - -

For those who don't want to spend too much on MX, and don't really care the 1.2s on 0-60mi/30 mi extra range/slower charing/a few months more delay in delivery, does it make sense to order 70D and save the 13k difference of 90D and 70D for a few years later, when the battery price reduces to $200/kwh or $100/kwh, and upgrade the battery to 100D or even 120D?

I learnt from the forum that the motors of 70D and 90D are identical. It's just the smaller battery and the software that cause all the difference.
If today's battery cost is 13000/(90-70)=650$/kwh, let's say in 3 years, the battery cost goes down to $200/kwh due to the Giga factory and model 3,
at that time, 70D buyer can use the 13000 to upgrade to (13000+200*70*0.8-500)/200=120kwh battery where 0.8 is the discount rate and 500 is the labor.
In the $300/kwh scenario, 70D buyer can upgrade to (13000+300*70*0.8-500)/300~=100kwh, and in the $100/kwh scenario, (13000+100*70*0.8-500)/100=180kwh.

The idea is based on the expectation that the battery cost will go down faster in the next few years. What you think?

the 90s come with a bunch of stuff included in that $13k that isn't battery. You aren't paying $13,000 for just a 20kWh increase in capacity. So from there - bad math. Other than that - good math :smile: (it's still a lot for the upgrade, seems the P is where you really get into helping out the profit margin)

Ive heard that before, and that it makes the whole space you're in feel warm. Thing is, I've got sweaty hands - ask any girl I've ever interacted with ! TMI? Sorry. What I now dread is that I've ordered something, what? who knows, color, seats, (tried to keep it simple) that delays my build EVEN MORE. Did I mention I've grown weary of waiting for this car? dirkhh, can you help get my excited anticipatory worry back down to near despondent pessimism (where it belongs :rolleyes:)??

I always thought the heated steering wheel was a luxury too, when I lived in California. Since moving to PA, I can tell you that the heated wheel on my Lexus LS is wonderful on those below-freezing mornings (don't like to wear gloves while driving). Even a leather-wrapped wheel can feel mighty cold otherwise.

From streetinsider.com

The analyst continued, "But Tesla appears to be preparing to ramp up quickly. During a quick walk through the company’s metal stamping area we saw 100’s of Model X hoods, side panels, doors, and other components staged in racks, and ready to be delivered to the company’s robotic body shop. Production could potentially ramp up quickly, so we know of no reason to question Tesla’s targets for Q1."

All signs point to go!

- - - Updated - - -

the 90s come with a bunch of stuff included in that $13k that isn't battery. You aren't paying $13,000 for just a 20kWh increase in capacity. So from there - bad math. Other than that - good math :smile: (it's still a lot for the upgrade, seems the P is where you really get into helping out the profit margin)
What extra stuff are you talking about? I thought the $13,000 just gave you an increased battery size. As a matter of fact, the $13,000 is actually $15,500 because you have to also get the air suspension upgrade with the 90.

My wife was very excited to configure on Monday. I see there are lots of reservation numbers higher than hers, so nothing exciting about that. After taking a test drive of a P85D Model S over the weekend, she ultimately decided on a P90D with 7 seats, Premium Upgrades Package, and Ultra High Fidelity Sound. I'm sure part of that was knowing she'd be getting her Model X sooner than if she had ordered the 90D she had originally wanted. I still have sticker shock (we could buy a house for what that car costs), but she deserves a nice toy for all her hard work these past years. The only real bummer is that we were looking forward to finally having fully ventilated seats in this car, and were very disappointed to find out from Tesla that only the seat bottom is cooled, not the seat back. Yet another complaint to add about this vehicle's controversial seats!

From streetinsider.com

The analyst continued, "But Tesla appears to be preparing to ramp up quickly. During a quick walk through the company’s metal stamping area we saw 100’s of Model X hoods, side panels, doors, and other components staged in racks, and ready to be delivered to the company’s robotic body shop. Production could potentially ramp up quickly, so we know of no reason to question Tesla’s targets for Q1."

All signs point to go!
And having taken the tour, I don't know how anybody would be able to tell the difference between an S hood and an X hood. The same goes for the rest of the panels. Unless they showed you one of each next to each other up close. Or they were somehow labelled (they're not).

All signs point to some serious go for production of something anyway! ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

What extra stuff are you talking about? I thought the $13,000 just gave you an increased battery size. As a matter of fact, the $13,000 is actually $15,500 because you have to also get the air suspension upgrade with the 90.
That jives with my math too. I can't see a difference other than battery size (and air suspension).

And having taken the tour, I don't know how anybody would be able to tell the difference between an S hood and an X hood. The same goes for the rest of the panels. Unless they showed you one of each next to each other up close. Or they were somehow labelled (they're not).

All signs point to some serious go for production of something anyway! ;-)

Last time I took the tour I noticed the racks that held all the stamped parts had labels and barcodes indicating what each piece was. Could read them from the tour trolley.

Last time I took the tour I noticed the racks that held all the stamped parts had labels and barcodes indicating what each piece was. Could read them from the tour trolley.
But from how far away? Ok, maybe I was too busy with my head on a swivel trying to see as much as I could to look that close. Or I need a new prescription (or to wear my glasses in the first place). ;-)

Because MX hood is significantly shorter that MS hood, by about 7" based on my calculation.:smile: