Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA - left turn signal doesn't reset - defective steering control module

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called Tesla and they told me this was not a mobile fixable part that had to be fixed at the service center. I have a Monday 9 am drop off.

How far away from a service center are you? I only ask because I'm 3 and a half hours away and they've replaced my entire glove box via mobile service, which took them almost an hour to do. I honestly can't imagine this repair being all that much more difficult than that one, similar tools being used etc... Might take an extra half hour. But probably not. I think their willingness to let mobile services do the job via asking you to come in depends a lot on how far away you are from a center.

• Disagree
Reactions: aerodyne
Well I got my invoice guess I should pick it up.

Not sure what the last item is.

parts.PNG

That would be the wheel well liner. You mentioned that you thought it was missing some retainers, maybe they put a new one in that doesn't have the holes? (Or did you have one that didn't fit properly and partially exposed one of the parking sensors?)
I picked my car up and they said they one liner was not fitting properly so they replace it and put the clips in. I asked if they made a production change and started leaving the clips out and they replied "yes and no" I left it at that.

They also said they heard of the bumper coming off issue but they have never seen it happen. They know what causes that so they said they would check it out too. So I assume they did.

The turn signal is now 100% working as expected. Initially trying to figure out that turn signal was a real mind ****.

Picked my car (96650) up Friday 9/21 and didn't catch this check until afterwards. Tesla said they'll order the part and send a tech out to fix it. Approx 30 minutes from service center. I imagine this is easier for them than to have a car sitting at facility and providing rental.

I have an appointment on Thursday to replace the steering control module and also investigate noise coming from the brakes or control arms of the car.

On Friday I was executing a lot of turns while backing to get the car into a tight spot and the car threw an entire battery of errors saying emergency braking was disabled, contact service, etc.... I called the local service center and they walked me through a shutdown of the car. The alarms cleared and haven't come back but I suspect that it's all related to the calipers or whatever is dragging on the brakes.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Not to hijack but wanted to throw this out there because it is somewhat related. My car will not initiate auto lane change to the right with autopilot engaged. Signal also stays on. Works flawlessly changing lanes to the left. Wonder if it's related to the stalk or a glitch in the autopilot...

Not to hijack but wanted to throw this out there because it is somewhat related. My car will not initiate auto lane change to the right with autopilot engaged. Signal also stays on. Works flawlessly changing lanes to the left. Wonder if it's related to the stalk or a glitch in the autopilot...

If your signal stays on whether or not you are using autopilot, even if you complete a turn then yes you have this problem as it appears that it sometimes affects left signal vs. right.

I will give it a try later today. But from what I recalled, I can't get the right signal to permanently stay on from full push or partial push down the stalk.

I think Im having this issue too. Seems turning right, I push up all the way, and I only get 3 blinks. But if I push Really far up (more than normal), it seems to behave naturally.

Im gonna try and pinpoint it tonight, but good to know I'm probably not going crazy.

I think Im having this issue too. Seems turning right, I push up all the way, and I only get 3 blinks. But if I push Really far up (more than normal), it seems to behave naturally.

Im gonna try and pinpoint it tonight, but good to know I'm probably not going crazy.

That sounds like how it is supposed to work. First detent up gets you three blinks, full push up has it stay on until you cancel or complete your turn.