Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA - left turn signal doesn't reset - defective steering control module

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder who is the OEM of the signal assembly and what other parts our cars have by them . If their QC and engineering f-d this up this quickly in the game we maybe in trouble after our warranties expire and we all get to wait on hold for an hours just to talk to somebody on the phone.

I'm a Tesla fan for sure but I'm not impressed with how I got a car that I'm sure they knew had this and I'm sure some other issues.

My old p38 range Rover made it longer when new without a problem and that's not saying much .

Reactions: cwerdna
Another data point: VIN 853XX and I haven't had a single issue with mine.

51ttVPMLCrL_600x.jpg

Well I just got booted from service appointment because of the lack of part availability.. also was told no loaner car will be given .. told the CS person will not work to take clients in a Uber. And my paint needs fixing..

Funny. I keep reading posts like this but having the opposite experience. I’m sorry for your trouble @Big Todd , however in my case I called Service and within literally 1 minute the rep understood the turn signal issue, ordered the steering wheel control module and booked an appointment within 10 days. I showed up for my appointment and two service reps with 5 star hotel service skills (really, that’s no exaggeration) checked me in listening carefully to my concerns. They gave me a BMW X3 loaner which is not my favorite, but that certainly never happened at Audi and off I went. Throughout the day I received text updates on their progress and by early afternoon I was picking up my awesome Model 3! I could give a similar glowing review of the ordering process, delivery process and car quality. Just funny.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I took my car in to the service appointment today, had a tech look at the issue and he said they would need to order part (steering column module) and will have mobile service come out and fix it when it comes in.

He did mention that there is a "new version" of the steering module that they need to order.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and cwerdna
I wonder who is the OEM of the signal assembly and what other parts our cars have by them . If their QC and engineering f-d this up this quickly in the game we maybe in trouble after our warranties expire and we all get to wait on hold for an hours just to talk to somebody on the phone.
IMHO, it was a bad idea to go with this goofy design of turn signal lever. It seems that BMW has been backing away from this design. For awhile it was common on their cars and on their Minis.

I was at a BMW Ultimate Drive Event earlier this year and took a few cars on the road. Out of the ones I test drove, only the i3 had this goofy design. The rest had the more traditional version where the lever mechanically snaps into 1 of 3 positions: left, neutral/center/no signal, right.

I think they are just trying to see if they can fix it in software somehow to save on costs. I mobile service team reached out to me a month ago saying the order wouldn't be available until early October, but I still haven't heard back from them and they aren't replying.

How are you all contacting your service centers? I call the number listed for the local (Decatur) one, and I get what seems like a messaging service. They can look up my appointment and add notes, but when I asked for specifics about part availability, I get a vague “they usually order parts in advance and it takes a few days.”

I have an appointment on Monday and still have not discussed the issue with a person. I really don’t want to show up and be told that a reschedule will be necessary, but that seems the most likely outcome. In that scenario, I hope they just be convinced to loan me a car and hold on to mine until it is done (there are a few other manufacturing defects, including cracked rear glass.)

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Also, is anyone noticing an issue on the right side? I swear the turn signal comes “unstuck” really easily - often before I actually turn.

Yes. My left turn signal started to not work about 2 weeks ago. As of two days ago, sometimes when I press the right side all the way down, it will only register the 3 blinks and turn off again instead of holding the signal.

Fortunately, my mobile service appointment is set for Monday.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and spesler