Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchased Tesla 2017 Model S 90D, Received 60D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Go to the front corner of the car on the passenger side, lay on the floor, and look for the label on the frame/cover behind the wheel well, looks like you may actually have a 90D but the software is not updated. It may not have been done by Tesla.
This is all I have...
IMG_0777.jpg

There's an incentive being passed by the Biden administration to keep EVs from landfills. Tax credits for late model, high millage used EV purchases. I think its 2020 and earlier. Also it has to be under 35K total pricing... I believe... it's not finalized. Also, U.S.A vehicles ONLY.
Oh boy. You need to do some research. It has been finalized and you are not eligible for the tax credit.

It's a 75-pack, if you can find a way to read the other part of the label covered by the plastic. I have the same part number. It looks like it has been software unlocked from 60 to 70. I have a similar range when charging to 90-100% from the MCU 90%- 176 100%-215, though I only have 60k miles. You should ask Tesla about it, my app/instrument cluster and insurance all show as 75.

Last edited:
The federal tax credit on used EVs is 30% of the price up to a maximum credit of $4K. However, it is only valid on cars that retailed for $25k or less...There are income limits on this tax credit as well ($75k single, $112.5K for head of household, and $150K for married filing jointly...

Reactions: El joe
The federal tax credit on used EVs is 30% of the price up to a maximum credit of $4K. However, it is only valid on cars that retailed for $25k or less...There are income limits on this tax credit as well ($75k single, $112.5K for head of household, and $150K for married filing jointly...

No argument, but... could you please show me an EV that qualifies. Again... Made in U.S., not assembled or sold, but literally built in U.S.A. (51% I believe is the IRS qualification) That sold for 25K or less? Again, no argument... just curious.

Was Tesla "software capping" 75kwh batteries to 60kwh in 2017?
Having the dealership pay the upgrade cost to 75 kWh (assuming that is possible) and give you a few thousand on top of that for 75 vs 90 doesn’t sound bad, but I’d want to know what actually happened to this car before I did that.

A 75D capped to 70 with software saying 60 and a 90D badge doesn’t add up.

No argument, but... could you please show me an EV that qualifies. Again... Made in U.S., not assembled or sold, but literally built in U.S.A. (51% I believe is the IRS qualification) That sold for 25K or less? Again, no argument... just curious.
Every once in a while, Shift has one that pops up that qualifies. Right now they have a Bolt and a Kona (didn’t realize Konas qualified) in my area:

IMG_2471.jpegIMG_2470.jpeg

I just sold a 2016 Model S with 175,000 miles for sub-$25k. The buyer intends to claim the $4k tax credit.

This story is getting stranger and stranger.
My money is on a failed 60 pack that got replaced with the 75 pack and the previous owner got a case of badginitis and bought new badges to add value to the car when selling.
However, the car should’ve been under the factory battery warranty so Tesla should’ve done the swap and updated the firmware accordingly to represent the new facts. Perhaps ask that specific question to Tesla? They won’t respond if you ask for full service history, but may answer the specific battery replacement question.

Having the dealership pay the upgrade cost to 75 kWh (assuming that is possible) and give you a few thousand on top of that for 75 vs 90 doesn’t sound bad, but I’d want to know what actually happened to this car before I did that.

A 75D capped to 70 with software saying 60 and a 90D badge doesn’t add up.
2017 60D is rated at 218 miles fully charged, based on the OP on the fully charged range, it looks like the car already been unlocked to 75, otherwise the degradation doesn't add up.