Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pyro Fuse Fuss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does this work with the 2015 warranty conditions? Tesla writes, "The Li-ion battery is a highly complex component of the powertrain, and you can rest assured that the battery is covered by the drivetrain warranty." Now Tesla says this fuse is not covered by the warranty. But other components in the “component” are proven to be. The only exclusion in the warranty conditions is age and mileage-related degeneration of capacity. What happens if Tesla changes this fuse to a different type, because the old fuse no longer exists, as if by magic. There is simply no mention of this fuse anywhere that it has to be replaced at some point due to an error message.
That is how I feel also: I could see their logic if the fuse was in the frunk or someplace else, but it is inside of the sealed battery pack. I got the warning message and scheduled service and they setup a time over a month out but have not given me any estimate for approval yet. I am hoping by the time I have my appointment there has been enough push back that it will automatically be covered by the battery warranty.

Additionally the part is listed under the HV Battery Assembly. When it is time for my appointment I am going to prepared with this documentation to help make my case.
1695738663756.png

Last edited:
Hi,

This happened to me as well, but after speaking to their service, they removed the CCS retrofit line and sent a tech to "change the configuration" in the car. He connected his laptop to the car's computer, went into the "Service Plus" mode and changed the configuration, which I believe it had something to do with the expiration date of the fuse. It was a 5 minute process and they didn't charge me at all.

By looking at the pic of your car, it seems to be a 2017 or newer model. The Pyro fuse has a "life" of 10 years and after that, it needs to get replaced. There are 2 batteries in the fuse and after 10 years, the unit needs to be replaced since those batteries are not rechargeable. There are many videos on how the Pyro fuse works, but from my limited knowledge, after 10 years the unit needs to be replaced.

Software configuration may get you another 3-4 years from the unit, but eventually it needs to get replaced.

Sean

Tesla just called me today to inform me that the pyro fuse was going to be covered under the battery warranty. I’m in Delaware with a 2016 Model X P90D with 74K mile
can you post the Cost estimate

Looks like due to all the complaints, Telsa are shifting this to warranty for many

I hope this *IS* the case!

Though one does wonder what will happen to those who paid for it ???
demand a refund, they are in breach of contract if the battery pack is under warranty. Tesla service centers are not franchises, they all fall under Tesla so they all should be on the same page.

I got a new cost estimate from Tesla today. At first the processor didn't want to know anything about the guarantee. After asking again, the fuse is actually in the battery warranty. The diagnosis is now calculated for this. What should be diagnosed????

Attachments

• IMG_1320.jpeg
    IMG_1320.jpeg
    270.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Informative
Reactions: brkaus
I have a newer HV pack with the access panel on the bottom on it ( I can see it under the car). Does that confirm I have a new style fuse? Is it safe to take off the cover to visually inspect what's in there?
This invoice from a similar year/model says yes

I actually did bring that up. They said the fee is "to verify its' the fuse, and not another component, that needs to be replaced"

I plan to speak directly with Service when I show up Thursday morning about this. Maybe that will help.
My SC tried to do the same, so I brought up the fact that the warning was not from the vehicle, but was pushed out from Tesla's side.

I have an appointment for Saturday to replace the fuse and was told is was covered too. And they are going to replace my MCU1 chip too even though the app says my device is OK.
Hmmm keep me posted on this mcu1 chip. I’d like to see what the invoice says about the replacement. My mcu1 had the memory recall done last year. It works well for the most part but I can’t tell if that’s from lack of use or what. The biggest issues I have is slow boot at times and a screen freeze between switching songs

Called the SC this morning, and confirmed that Tesla will be refunding anyone who had to pay to have the Pyro Fuse replaced as a result of this. They didn't have an ETA on when it would occur, but that would be refunded as it does fall under the 8yr HV Battery warranty.

Did they say that it would be done automatically or do you think we need to individually contact them and request the refund? I paid $295 to have that work done just a week ago.

Did they say that it would be done automatically or do you think we need to individually contact them and request the refund? I paid $295 to have that work done just a week ago.

Just FYI: I called my local service center. The representative had no idea what I was talking about at first but after he went and researched the question came back and told me that Tesla would be reversing the charges for the fuse replacement. He said no one in this SC knew about this change from Tesla - apparently the notice just came out on the 26th.
Participating in these forums pays off once again! I never would have known to ask for the refund otherwise.