Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pyro Fuse Fuss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone proactively approached the service center without this warning, wanting the fuse replaced? I’m wondering what they said. I need a junky door handle fixed (9400 miles) and am going to ask them about the fuse

Has anyone proactively approached the service center without this warning, wanting the fuse replaced? I’m wondering what they said. I need a junky door handle fixed (9400 miles) and am going to ask them about the fuse
I don't know for sure and it may depend on the SC and the availability of parts. I approached them with the request to replace the fuse after I got the error. They responded with wanting to update my eMMC chip too. My car had consistently, and day of, reported my eMMC chip was just fine.

Anyone here that paid for replacement get refund yet?
Nope, and it's starting to piss me off. First the SC told me they would request it and if I hadn't heard back or received it in 14d to call back, then they said 5hey submitted it to the team that handles it and I would get a call in 24h regarding the status. Now they are dodging my calls and not returning voicemails. It is almost 300mi round trip to the SC, so I can't just drop in when they choose to pull this bs.

I have a P85D, but I had WK057 replace it with a 2016 100kWh battery (with Ludicrous mode).

Is this a v1 or V2 battery?

What should I expect to pay to have this fuse replaced? I'm way out of any warranty.

I hope they don't hassle me because I had the battery upgraded.
You can look at the battery pack near the front passenger wheel and see a little door with bolts on it to confirm, but yours you should be a v2 since my 2016 pre-refresh 90 pack is a v2.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Just got "The Fuse" message as I've been gone for 5 months. 2014 MS 60. The cost is $795. Just when I was literally going to sell this car next week. I'm going to try another service center. Or try to sell with the new owner to deal with if I can even sell it at all. Any advice?

I'm trying a different SC but wonder if they can see each other's quotes. ??

Just got "The Fuse" message as I've been gone for 5 months. 2014 MS 60. The cost is $795. Just when I was literally going to sell this car next week. I'm going to try another service center. Or try to sell with the new owner to deal with if I can even sell it at all. Any advice?

That seems like about half of what the first group of Gen 1 battery people were paying. I think you would be hard to sell a car with a blaring alert on the dash.

Do you have original pack? Replacing the battery powered pyro fuse should only be 2015-19 packs. If you have original 2014 you have pyro fuse type not needing replacement.

Do you have original pack? Replacing the battery powered pyro fuse should only be 2015-19 packs. If you have original 2014 you have pyro fuse type not needing replacement.
I have not replaced the battery - it's original. So, why would the SC say I need to replace it and why am I getting that alert? And why the heck would the SC charge me $800 to do, what, nothing??

update: just got a message from SC "if the alert is present then it is needed".

Last edited:
I have not replaced the battery - it's original. So, why would the SC say I need to replace it and why am I getting that alert? And why the heck would the SC charge me $800 to do, what, nothing??

update: just got a message from SC "if the alert is present then it is needed".
Here's great video on Tesla Model s Pyro Fuse 101. At least then you'll be able to ask your SC with knowledge of pyro fuses.

What is the label on your pack say? I believe it’s behind the front passenger wheel.

And what was the date of manufacture on the door plate?
battery pack: 60kWh, 350VDC, part# 1028600-00-B
manufacture date: 02/14

does this help me determine which of the many fuses I have? the video is fantastic and seems like I should have the bussman though the guy didn't date the evolution of the fuses (or I missed it).

Just got my estimate back from Tesla service for the fuse error: $280.30.

I've been informed that my upgraded 2016 100kWh battery might might have made the cutoff for having the new pyro fuse that doesn't need replacing, but it's not certain. What is certain that it's a V2 battery that doesn't need to be dropped to replace the fuse. Whew.

I assume Tesla will charge me $280 whether on not my fust needs to be replaced. :rolleyes:

Just got my estimate back from Tesla service for the fuse error: $280.30.

I've been informed that my upgraded 2016 100kWh battery might might have made the cutoff for having the new pyro fuse that doesn't need replacing, but it's not certain. What is certain that it's a V2 battery that doesn't need to be dropped to replace the fuse. Whew.

I assume Tesla will charge me $280 whether on not my fust needs to be replaced. :rolleyes:
Replacement of your pyro fuse should be covered under the 8 year warranty. Tesla used to charge but changed policy about a month ago. Unless policy has changed again...

Replacement of your pyro fuse should be covered under the 8 year warranty. Tesla used to charge but changed policy about a month ago. Unless policy has changed again...
I have a 2014 P85D that’s well out of the battery warranty. And even if it weren’t, I had the battery upgraded to a 100kwh pack by WK057 which voided the existing battery warranty years ago.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus