Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pyro Fuse Fuss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Our logs show you haven't used the exterior door handle for 3 months, but you keep using the interior handle. Can you explain that? Are you sure it just failed?" 🤣
What about the part that failed at 4300 miles? Faulty engineering? $131,000 car and $5200 paid for extended warranty. No other car customers put up with this treatment.

What about the part that failed at 4300 miles? Faulty engineering?
Ok, you had me intrigued and I was bored so I did a little digging:

This happened to me today on an 11/2015 build.

Yeah I bought it used last year with 4300 miles on it. I’ve been driving it a lot more than it’s first 6 years

Yes, my battery heater failed at 49xx miles yes under 5k. They still billed me like it was normal. There would have been no discount if I didn’t have the extended warranty. I still felt irritated paying $200 for a part with less than 5k miles

So you bought a car with almost no miles on it but it was 6-7 years old and the battery coolant heater failed. Well out of the factory warranty for everything except the battery and drive unit. It seems perfectly reasonable that Tesla would make you pay for that repair. (Yes, parts fail even with low mileage on them.)

Ok, you had me intrigued and I was bored so I did a little digging:

So you bought a car with almost no miles on it but it was 6-7 years old and the battery coolant heater failed. Well out of the factory warranty for everything except the battery and drive unit. It seems perfectly reasonable that Tesla would make you pay for that repair. (Yes, parts fail even with low mileage on them.)
This is your opinion. Any other car manufacturer would have covered this as goodwill with under 5k miles. Tesla gets a pass for being a lemon 100% of the time. Multiple things broke on my 3 under 2k miles also.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
This is your opinion. Any other car manufacturer would have covered this as goodwill with under 5k miles. Tesla gets a pass for being a lemon 100% of the time. Multiple things broke on my 3 under 2k miles also.
Not a chance, my 90 year old grandmother is on her 4th transmission on her 04 Lincoln Aviator. It has 60,000 miles on it as of last weeks yearly oil change... Can't get her to get rid of it though, she is "used" to driving it. Though, I don't think she will be driving for much longer. She paid for all 4. If you count the 3 defective remanufactured ones Ford/Lincoln sent that were DOA, that's 7 transmissions in 60,000 miles. All of those 4 just outside the time limit of the warranty.

Reactions: MP3Mike and hydro
I will say, when I had my Motorcycle & Scooter shop, the two categories that had the most problems.
1: The ones that were driven excessively with little regard to maintenance.
2: The ones that were barely used. Couple examples. 1 irate customer went ape-schnit because I dared charge him for a carb cleaning on his motorcycle, when it only had 25 miles on it, and how I should cover that under warranty or something. He also filed a complaint with the DMV (Which I won/they sided with us). Had he not been a Jack-*** I likely would have done it. The kicker though was the bike was already 5 years old. 4 years out of warranty. It just sat and sat. lack of use. Not my problem. I could go on and on and on what these people tried to pull over the years. I'd have an entire book I could have published, "Stories of a Motorcycle Dealer" or something. The funniest/saddest ones were people buying a vehicle. Get through all the paperwork, put everything in the computer for DMV and submit it etc.... THEN they tell us they have outstanding warrants or child support, and ask if they will get their plates. Would have been good to know 35 seconds ago before we hit submit, or maybe before we wrote everything up. Happened at least 2-3 times/month. Nope, you will not get your plates with warrants or back child support in Wisconsin, and your title will be locked so you can't even sell the vehicle (i believe court needs to approve the sale, and then the money is immediately taken for child support, not sure on warrants). Of course they ask if they can cancel the purchase. Once it's in the computer it's done. Sad.

Reactions: MP3Mike and hydro
As for the Model X, it is ALMOST as good as the S. I have both a S and X. Realistically, they are pretty much identical in operation. One MAJOR and one Minor flaw of the Model X that really drives me nuts. Minor = The middle row of seats, the seat backs don't fold down. So I cannot put anything large in the truck. For how much more interior space the X has, I can move about half as much INSIDE the cabin. The MAJOR flaw, the God Dang Doors! I absolutely cannot stand the Falcon Wing Doors, and the powered front doors.

The middle row is fixed only on the six seater. 5&7 -seaters have foldable middle row. Pre 2017 7-seaters were non-folding too, though. However, in the current model range, Plaid is only available as a six seater, so you have to get LR if you want folding seats! That's a silly limitation.

I like the MX doors. I wonder why MS doesn't have powered front doors? It should be very easy to add, the doors are very similar. The automatic opening is great. You don't have to touch the door, it opens automatically and then closes when you press brake pedal. You can disable this at your home address, it's convenient if you often have to move around the car without entering.

All this said, I still would prefer MS over MX. It's much better looking, has lower consumption, and is cheaper.. But I have four kids. Oldest one is 19 now, though, I'm waiting for him to move away so I can go back to MS.. :)

The middle row is fixed only on the six seater. 5&7 -seaters have foldable middle row. Pre 2017 7-seaters were non-folding too, though. However, in the current model range, Plaid is only available as a six seater, so you have to get LR if you want folding seats! That's a silly limitation.

I like the MX doors. I wonder why MS doesn't have powered front doors? It should be very easy to add, the doors are very similar. The automatic opening is great. You don't have to touch the door, it opens automatically and then closes when you press brake pedal. You can disable this at your home address, it's convenient if you often have to move around the car without entering.

All this said, I still would prefer MS over MX. It's much better looking, has lower consumption, and is cheaper.. But I have four kids. Oldest one is 19 now, though, I'm waiting for him to move away so I can go back to MS.. :)
I have a November 2016 Build MX, middle row doesn't fold :-( I can't stand the powered doors nearly at all. Only benefit is I can close everything but the hood with a fob press.

Since they are now doing them under warranty, that makes sense. (Though they should still let you pay for it if you really want to.)
Actually it’s the opposite of what you said. If they really wanted to take care of customers they would proactively replace the fuse while the car is in for service. Instead by telling the customer they have to wait for an error message they are likely pushing some repairs out of warranty. When some (most) cars getting this error are newer than mine you have to wonder what Tesla is thinking (again).

Reactions: KalJoMoS
The "warning" itself isn't triggered by any active monitoring the car performs, but instead is activated by Tesla based on the type of fuse they indicate was installed in the vehicle, and the date it was put into service. The vehicle is unable to measure the voltage of the battery installed in the Pyro Fuse. The only way to confirm if the battery on the Pyro Fuse is dead is to remove the Pyro Fuse and check the voltage of the battery, as per Tesla's Pyro Fuse replacement documentation. By Tesla's own admission the battery on the Pyro Fuse can't be trusted past a certain point, and could pose a safety risk in the case of an accident. They should be covering this for every vehicle made period. If a vehicle hasn't "have" the warning, there should be some sort of indication on the customers account that Service could review to indicate what type of Pyro Fuse was installed in the vehicle, and the date of installation.

Reactions: tesluv108