Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Qantas Tesla partnership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other then racing a 737-800 against a Model S on a runway.

During the coming months Qantas and Tesla will introduce the following services and benefits for customers:

• Exclusive events for Qantas frequent flyers, enabling them to experience new Tesla vehicles and technology;
  • Qantas Club membership for Tesla Model S owners;
  • Tesla High Power Wall Connectors at Qantas Valet facilities in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide allowing Model S owners to charge whilst they travel.
Car vs Plane – fasten your seatbelts (batteries are included) - Qantas News Room

" High Power Wall Connectors at Qantas Valet facilities in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide allowing Model S owners to charge whilst they travel."

Just having the wall connectors in the airport parking would be good. Very few people use the valet parking I expect.

Any word on the Qantas / Tesla partnership and in particular the membership to the Qantas Club? I've spoken to a few people at Tesla and they have no info other than to call Qantas. I've called Qantas twice now and got the run around there too. They said that Tesla would post out memberships(?), but he was only assuming and that I needed to wait for more information to become available. :confused: It's been months since the announcement and membership would be handy for me in a few weeks. Anyone else managed to work out what's going on with it?

I guess they're still sorting it out. Local Tesla marketing seems fairly under-resourced. It's also probably a very small-scale thing for Qantas; there aren't very many Tesla owners and, of those, I wonder how many don't already have lounge membership or else fly in a class which automatically conveys it. The lowly Qantas pub, er, club, isn't all that enticing. Is it?

• Funny
Reactions: paulp and alpal
History of tesla announcements in Australia suggests that things happen months after the free publicity is achieved.

Hey that's not true. It takes much longer than that ;-)

The way I see it:

They announce that they will be making an announcement.

Then they make the announcement (and sometimes they indicate that such an announcement is only part 1 of 2).

Then a few years later it gets released. And a long time after that - it trickles down to Australia.

But in absolute fairness I should say - that Tesla's announcements are really worth pre-announcing and definitely worth the long wait.

Don't know what Qantas' excuse is though!

Reactions: paulp and bradjc
So, apart from seeing who would win, what was the point of the race?
Qantas – Australia’s national carrier – and Tesla, the California based and world’s leading maker of premium electric cars, are collaborating to drive innovation for their customers and sustainability in the transport industry.

... by cooking up a money grab, forcing valet parking in return for a charge.

With friends like Qantas, who needs politicians ?

Reactions: Vegas
Just a few 10A plugs in the car park would be enough - if you are gone for 2-3 days then even a fully empty car would be full before you got back. Mind you, if you live in Sydney its a moot point as we don't really need it. I can understand them putting a higher power connector at Valet parking though - that way they can cycle a few cars through the one charger.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
Qantas is sending out emails as follows:

Dear Tesla Model S Owner:

You’ve recently expressed interest in Qantas benefits as a part of our collaboration with Tesla. In order to help us determine your eligibility for these benefits, please reply with your full name and Qantas Frequent Flyer number by 5:00 pm on Friday 12 August 2016 at the latest.

We’ll be in touch shortly with more details.

Kind regards

Qantas Environment Team

---------

Has everyone got them or just those that registered interest like myself?

Qantas Pub... I laughed so much.

so X owners are not included. Should i read something into the blatant S this S that, or just wait patiently as tesla is training me to do so well.

In brisbane at Virgin recently i asked the valet if they see any teslas. He said yes they have a couple lately. Which gave me a small confidence they might not think of them as toys. But i have a grave fear of leaving my X with a valet to burn around in and play with the self presenting front doors and FWDs.